Shorts on Stage

JailTime

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wasn't trying to ban shorts really. I just think you should try and look the part no matter what you are doing in life. That is what I meant by look professional, whether it be shorts, pants or nothing at all
:)

I'd draw the line a little before the "nothing at all" option. The couple of times I tried that route - it just got ugly! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

You gotta wear what works with the band's "image". I understand about it being hot outside. Some guys look ok in those cargo shorts. Some look ridiculous. We're a blues band. Blues bands do not wear shorts. But I think I saw Clapton in shorts once, and he was wearing glasses as well! :rolleyes:

• Members

Flip-flps-- Never. You can kill yourself in those things. Totally inappropriate for any working situation.

+1,000,000. I can't wait for the flip-flops trend to be over. I hate the look of the things; I hate the scuff-FLAP-scuff-FLAP-scuff-FLAP sound of the things; they seem to be part of the present-day "toolbag summer uniform" along with indoor sunglasses, capri shorts, and popped-collar polos; and as someone I know recently commented:

No nation of adult men wearing so-called "flip flops" in public as a matter of habit can
ever
be taken seriously. That is simply impossible. One reason is because they are not equipped to
be
men should contingencies call for it.

[...]

Should you ever take up a line of argument like this one, you will be laughed at right out loud and told that this is not a serious issue. That is both evidence of the con
and
the con in action. That laughter is intended to intimidate you into relinquishing any sort of thoughtful analysis of this appalling fop fad: you are not supposed to be able to discern anything so serious in anything so trivial, and you should "lighten up".

I'll tell you when to "lighten up". You can do that after the very next (or first, if it's your first) episode that calls for the action of an authentic man, and when it's done, you look around to observe these dainties safe from action because of their devotion to the herd. You can walk across the crunching glass and torn metal at the automotive accident scene, or the work at an earthquake or fire dig-out and laugh at them right in their slack little Eloi faces.

That's
"lightening up".

• Members
Well, I tried to find a search function so I could read some old threads on the topic, but couln't find one. I'm a noob and wanted some opinions on the topic. Sorry for the clutter.

:thu: - my experience as well - as far as I can see there isn't one - any one know how to do a search?

• Members

At least we're out of the whole late 90's nu-metal era where bands wore Adidas mesh shorts, bootleg South Park t-shirts, and breakaway pants. Kangol and bucket hats.

24/7, those nu-metal groups dressed like they were going to a free seminar on "wiping the machines down" at the gym.

Were A&R reps for labels too fascinated with the remaining episodes of Seinfeld to take notice of what those up-and-coming bands were choosing to wear for their "image"?

Today, if any band tried to pull that sh**.. an A&R rep would call in the entire office and show them the press kit photo. "Look at these guys! Their press shot looks like a still from a Gatorade commercial targeting un-athletic goth kids."

• Members

At least we're out of the whole late 90's nu-metal era where bands wore Adidas mesh shorts, bootleg South Park t-shirts, and breakaway pants. Kangol and bucket hats.

24/7, those nu-metal groups dressed like they were going to a free seminar on "wiping the machines down" at the gym.

Were A&R reps for labels too fascinated with the remaining episodes of Seinfeld to take notice of what those up-and-coming bands were choosing to wear for their "image"?

Today, if any band tried to pull that sh**.. an A&R rep would call in the entire office and show them the press kit photo. "Look at these guys! Their press shot looks like a still from a Gatorade commercial targeting un-athletic goth kids."

I agree... the sports apparel/metal look was disturbing. But was it any less lame than wearing flannel, looking like you just cleaned out your garage?

Style is in the eye of the beholder. If you can sell it... wear it!

• Members
Or Dimebag Darrell.
:cool:

or Scott Ian.

Anthrax was one of the early metal bands to go out in shorts. They changed the uniform, if it were. Might not have been the best contribution to rock.... :)

Wear what looks good for the setting. Get a second opinion, probably from somebody who looks good. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Totally depends on the gig.

I always wear a dark t-shirt that has some sort of crazy design, jeans, black gloves, my cross-design shoes, etc when I play.

But we just played an outdoor gig, in the middle of summer, here in Florida, in a person's backyard at a pool party..... you bet your ass I was wearing shorts.

• Members

I really like the posts on here that said something to the effect of:

If you are worried about how you look, you aren't rocking hard enough.

This isn't Project Runway...it's playing in a band. I've always thought that image was overrated to a degree. Sure, A&R reps are going to be looking for that kind of thing...but I've always said that regardless of whether it's playing in a band or walking down aisle 7 in Wal-Mart, if you have to put more thought into what you're wearing than just putting something on and going with it, you should probably let someone else choose your clothes.

If you're badass, looking the part is secondary.

• Members

This isn't Project Runway...it's playing in a band. I've always thought that image was overrated to a degree. Sure, A&R reps are going to be looking for that kind of thing...but I've always said that regardless of whether it's playing in a band or walking down aisle 7 in Wal-Mart, if you have to put more thought into what you're wearing than just putting something on and going with it, you should probably let someone else choose your clothes.

Very much a musician's take.

The audience, however, hears with their eyes.

It doesn't matter how "hard you are rocking"...you will still come across as a doofus if you look like you are ready to dig ditches on stage.

• Members

This +1000. I don't think anybody in the audience or the band cared when Freddie Mercury showed up in leather daisy dukes. Or when David Bowie started wearing women's clothing.

What you wear is way less significant than how you wear it. Once I realized this, I felt a lot better about myself and more comfortable in every situation.

Archived