Nebulous' 1st Show

Uze Soap

• Members

I've been posting {censored} here for years, I finally got a recorded performance and it happens to be my current band 'Nebulous', and it happens to be of our first show. There are only a few songs posted on YouPube but we did about 12, I believe.

It was done some months ago, but its okay nonetheless. I understand there need to be many improvements but I was high at the time with a drug problem and my singer was sick as Hell. My drummer was nervous and played too fast as well as overused the cymbals, and the bassist at the time just plain sucked balls. Critique anyway.

Enjoy, if possible.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You think so, but I don't really. Maybe no one has the patience to watch the videos AND comment on the music. Is it too difficult to tell me what you think, tough guy?

Well, okay "tough guy". :wave: I have a lot of patience, and I watched all of the videos.

I would bet that 95% of the people who post here could not get through the first minute of each video before saying "WTF?!?!" :freak:, and shutting it off.

Actually, I was trying to be nice, and not tell you what I think.

But if you want my opinion, here it is:

Every single one of those videos sounded like a bunch of nondescript noise.

I get the point that y'all are trying to be the next coming of SOAD or RATM - but the singer doesn't have the voice, or stage presence to pull it off...sick or not - you gotta bring it.

The drummer sounds competent, if a bit ham-fisted.

Was there a bass player present? He was completely inaudible, if there was one.

Guitar tones ranged from inaudible, to bees-in-a-can, to awful.

Like I said, the noise level is so grating and obnoxious, nobody could honestly gauge the talent of the band, except for the singer...who doesn't have much to offer.

As for the quality of the songs, maybe you could find some studio time and record them, properly, before offering them to us. From what I could tell, there was not a lot of structure to the songs, just a lot of repetitive riffing.

Posting Youtube'd camcorder or cellphone videos with a bunch of cockamamie excuses as to "why it might suck", is nonproductive for everyone involved. From you and your band, to the potential listener - who may actually like you, if you had something worth a {censored} to offer.

• Members

I would bet that 95% of the people who post here could not get through the first minute of each video before saying "WTF?!?!"
:freak:
, and shutting it off.

EXACTLY :facepalm::facepalm: I tried to listen to the first two and didnt make it 30 sec's into them before i had to stop them..

it sucked and dont blame it on being drugged out .. many great drug users play better {censored} then that on there best binge night .

other then that the best part of your videos was me hitting stop:thu:

• Members

Well, does anyone have a freakin opinion at least? Is it good MUSIC?

It's neither good nor what I would I call "music" - it hasn't a single redeeming quality. Wait, that isn't true - the good thing about your music is that eventually you have to stop playing and go home.

• Members

Damn - I was about to post a "hey first song, first gig, first band - critique please" video on here - but I think I'll wait a couple of weeks....like around Labor Day when you guys got that 3 day weekend and feeling good and drunk and in a "happy place".

On topic tho - I'd hafta agree with what was already said - altho the only real issue I saw was the repetitiveness.

As far as my personal opinion - I didn't care for it - but music is an artform and just like any art - yer gunna have people who like it and people who don't so that's really a non-issue. If you've got a core group of people who like it - it'll grow.

• Members

I would bet that 95% of the people who post here could not get through the first minute of each video before saying "WTF?!?!"
:freak:
, and shutting it off..

+1

Mainly because of the recording method. It sounded like ass to the point of giving me a headache. (well, it would have, but I shut it off before the 20 sec mark)

I'm not going to knock the music, because if I did I would just be unfair because of how bad the recording was. Next time, try recording a cd or something off the board and synching it up to the video.

Good luck

• Members

First impression???

Guitar out of tune. Singer good but hand in pocket for the whole show, really? Bassist sucked. Drummer was loud but had tempo problems throughout.

Lighting sucked...band has no presence at all. There is potential but that wasn't a good performance. Looks like a bunch of strangers playing at a party. If you are proud of that show then screw us. You don't need our approval. If you are looking for constructive critisism here ya go:

Get lessons for the bassist. Get tuner for the guitarist. Get a metronome for the drummer. Convince the singer that he is good enough to look like he has confidence. Get his hand out of his pocket and all of you should have some fun on stage. Work on the prescence...

If it was really the first show then you are OK. If you have been at this a while I would rethink things a bit.

Dont worry about what we think...be true to yourselves.

• Members

Indeed, this was our first ever performance. The singer is a {censored} sometimes, we all told him he needs to give more presence. The drummer was obviously off on the tempo, we usually flow so much better. I think he was nervous. I am the guitar player and I was certainly not out of tune, although it sound like it because of the {censored}ty recording. Obviously is a {censored}ty recording, not news to us.

The bassist sucks balls and we only used him for that show. Never again. But really, we're better usually. The singer claimed to be sick, and he didn't come to practice nearly enough at all. It pisses me off. We need work. This was some months ago too, and we were just getting together. We had been playing together for only a couple of months at that point, and only once or twice a week, if that. The singer and I wrote all the material, and if you listen to the myspace songs you'll hear what we originally made with the music. Those could be better because of the damned drum machine, we can't get it to work right. The tempo never shifts, and so we're limited.

I thank you guys for listening, though I should have known you'd be tough considering the awful quality of the recording. I am disappointed even more now, getting opinions from here. And I never much thought too hard into what you guys think because the last few times I went here, years ago, everyone though Dream Theater were Gods and a thousand notes a second was the only good guitar playing technique.

Once again, I was not out of tune but I do agree the tone sucked ass. Everything about that show was terrible. Hopefully we'll be able to practice again and get another show with better recording quality to show y'all. I'm just so miffed at the singer for his half-assed performance and at myself for not trying harder. We're still trying to come into our own so we had no idea what we were doing. My dad was dying of cancer at the time and I was high on heroin. Not an excuse, but I blame that for my less than stellar performance. If anything, this has motivated me to get back together with these guys and push ourselves to do better next time.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to listen. I do appreciate it!!

• Members

It's neither good nor what I would I call "music" - it hasn't a single redeeming quality. Wait, that isn't true - the good thing about your music is that eventually you have to stop playing and go home.

Why say anything at all if you're gonna have that attitude? Of course its music, even N' Sync is music. You ass.

• Members

FWIW, I expected worst. You have to clean the bands sound and post when you are ready. If you usually sound better, then post that. Though you say that was your first gig, so up to now, that IS your sound. On stage is the only place that counts for a live band.

• Members

And I never much thought too hard into what you guys think because the last few times I went here, years ago, everyone though Dream Theater were Gods and a thousand notes a second was the only good guitar playing technique.

You must have us confused with Guitar Jam or the Effects forum.

Seems like most folks, in here, think DT are a bunch of robotic wankers.

• Members

Who gives a {censored}? Nitpick my words but don't reply to my thread. Good job.

I made a mistake thinking this forum would give me any constructive criticism on a badly recorded one-time live show done in a small coffee shop. Still, I took something away from this. And that is to stay the hell off the internet.

• Members

Uze Soap, I'm sorry but you are kind of being a douche. When you copp an attitude in the way that you are, people are just going to give it back. Thats how it goes. I honestly tried to help you out and listen to your music, and I didn't have to. I mean, who are you to me? Anyone who took the time to listen to you music, and comment in your thread, are all doing it for YOU not them. We all would have been just fine without it.

If you should take a lesson it should be:

And that is to remain polite on the internet, it'll go a long way

So, good luck with your band.

• Members

Why say anything at all if you're gonna have that attitude?

Why post something that's so obviously {censored} that you have to make excuses for everything about it? Oh, except for yourself of course.

BTW, when you post a piece of {censored} like you did and then blame everyone else in the band except yourself when you didn't like the feedback you got, it kinda let everyone know that you're the prima donna of your band, a.k.a. "douche".

• Members

Don't put up something here that you have to make excuses for before we ever hear it! If it's not good enough for you, why would it be for us?? Wait til you have something better. I know you get excited about new stuff, I do too..but pick and choose what goes into a forum like this

Archived