Member MOST difficult and easiest to replace?

tinker925

• Members
Hym... I personally do not agree. Some talented front people can do it, but there sometimes seems to be something lacking when multi tasking. I have known some singers who also played an instrument and to me it seems like they are not AS entertaining as when singing alone. Some literally just stand there, play and sing.... and are not too engaging with their audience.

As a singer your job is to feel your notes and tell the story with passion. I think thats harder when you are tied down or multi tasking.

Just my thoughts.....

Good points...but in my experience a bar cover band just needs to play good music, their "frontman" entertainment value is not that important...as long as they can sing and play an instrument at the same time well, its golden...

Now if your a bigger band and touring or warming up for bigger bands, than having a frontman whos sole job is to sing/entertain or engage the audience is VERY important...

but the bars I play the crow just wants good music, they wouldnt give a {censored} if we al dressed like chickens, or just stood there and played our instruments :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I can't stand that myth that the guitarist is the easiest to replace. It makes people like me "expendable" for no good reason. I always find I can't toss my weight around as much as the rest of the band, and was even thrown out of one once because of a rift with the bass player, simply because the assumption was that I was easier to replace than the bass player, even though he was a total diva douchebag...

But think about this:

Trying replacing ANY member with a dedicated, on-time, prepared, serious, and talented musician - good {censored}ing luck. It took me two years of wading through the worst musicians in all positions until I finally found 3 other people who are worth a {censored}.

Anyone can swing a dead cat and hit 10 {censored}ty drummers, singers, guitarists, and bassists (to use bluestrats analogy)

• Members

to add to that, around here guitarists are everywhere, but so few are any good, and then when you take out the unreliable, divas, and other stains from the pool, you end up with a vacumme - I'm constantly being asked by contacts if I will join them or know anyone *good* enough to play at my level (and I aint THAT good, I'm just reliable, prepared, and creative)

• Members

I can't stand that myth that the guitarist is the easiest to replace.

Trying replacing ANY member with a dedicated, on-time, prepared, serious, and talented musician - good {censored}ing luck.

I agree with this. If you already have a guitarist that does all this, and has his amp volume under control, finding a replacement for him is not going to be easy.

• Members

Try finding an upright bass player. It can't be done. The one I have in my band is a dick, and I would love to get rid of him but I don't think there are any others.

We have a lot of bluegrass around these parts, so I know several players. I can see how it might be difficult in some places, though. It seems like most of them play regular bass a lot of the time, depending on the gig.

• Members

The hardest members to replace are the ones who are actually good, not just o.k. Bass players? current band is on the fourth one, not due to playing but personality. Singers, really good ones are rare, but killer vocals are frequently not necessary when more than one member sings well. Good drummers with good meter are rare, if you find a non obnoxious one hold on to him. Keyboard players who can cover all parts on piano, organ and literally everything else are very rare, thats how I make my money and yes I work hard for it. Above all else if you have gigs and make money you can replace almost anyone and quickly too.

• Members

Try finding an upright bass player. It can't be done. The one I have in my band is a dick, and I would love to get rid of him but I don't think there are any others.

I love the sound of an upright bass, but I don't think I'd be married to it. A solid electric bassist, who isn't too loud or deaf, would work fine in any situation that I can think of.

• Members

Well I guess it would depend on the musicians in the band and if they have a signature sound.

Think a guitarist is easy to replace? How do you replaced a VanHalen or Dimebag? Cant, their sound is there. Now I am just using them as an example of how a guitarist helps to create a bands sound (Any band where you can tell who is playing right away will run into the same wall)

Bassist who know what they are doing and have a great sound, also cant replace easily, especially if they have created signature riffs for the songs, good luck.

Drummers being replaced by a drum machine?????? If that is your attitude your better off using a drum machine cause you know absolutly {censored} all about good drumming.

Drummers can have the same signature sound that help make a band what it is. Imagine Tool without Danny Carey, Dream Theater without Mike Portnoy? Hell any drummer that knows how to hit the drum to make the song sound good would be hard as hell to replace.

Singers too would be very hard to replace from a mostly a visual stand point. Mind you finding or replacing a singer that is good and knows the ins and outs of singing would be very hard. But for an astablished band replacing the guy who most people look at would be hard to do, wether they are a good singer or not. A good frontman is hard to find as well.

But if you happen to find a good frontman/women that also loves the art of singing and studies it and practices AND that does not think they are gods gift to music, then HOLD on to them with everything in you, cause you are one lucky SOB.

Basically you cant replace any musician that makes the songs what they are, if you are a front person who hires musicians to play your tunes, then you can replace anyone. BUT if it is an origional band that all members have a hand in writing the songs, then when one leaves the whole dynamics of the band change for better or for worse. Those that know the band and their songs and sound will hear the change as well.

• Members

Well I guess it would depend on the musicians in the band and if they have a signature sound.

Think a guitarist is easy to replace? How do you replaced a VanHalen or Dimebag? Cant, their sound is there. Now I am just using them as an example of how a guitarist helps to create a bands sound (Any band where you can tell who is playing right away will run into the same wall)

{censored}, there's a million+ VH clones out there that can imitate Eddie better than Eddie does these days.

Dimebag may be a little tougher, but those guys are out there too.

• Members

{censored}, there's a million+ VH clones out there that can imitate Eddie better than Eddie does these days.

Dimebag may be a little tougher, but those guys are out there too.

My point was that it was those guys minds that made that sound. Sure others might be able to imitate Eddie but NONE that can write like Eddie. Know what I mean? Anyone who practices long enough could learn Stairway to Heaven, but only one could write it!

And any musician could have that creative mind, example: just cause the drummer plays drums does not mean that their sound is not in the tunes. He may have created the most memorable part of the tunes that the band plays and any followers the band has will reconize.

Those musicians are irreplaceable. Look at guns and roses, there is only one origional member in that band now, and thier last album cant even begin to touch the stuff they did back in the day.

It is the creative mind that some of the musicians have that is irriplaceable.

• Members

My point was that it was those guys minds that made that sound. Sure others might be able to imitate Eddie but NONE that can write like Eddie. Know what I mean? Anyone who practices long enough could learn Stairway to Heaven, but only one could write it!

And any musician could have that creative mind, example: just cause the drummer plays drums does not mean that their sound is not in the tunes. He may have created the most memorable part of the tunes that the band plays and any followers the band has will reconize.

Those musicians are irreplaceable. Look at guns and roses, there is only one origional member in that band now, and thier last album cant even begin to touch the stuff they did back in the day.

It is the creative mind that some of the musicians have that is irriplaceable.

I think you are crossing the line from replacing to fame. In that case the famous get replaced with another band or guitar slinger that becomes famous.

Drummers have always been hard for things I have been involved with. Its easy to find a guy who owns a set of drums,,,, finding one with solid skills is another thing. As for keys... thats my instrument so I can always find a keyboard player. Good rhythm guitar players that can sing are worth their wt in gold too. To me rhythm guitar with singing skills trumps a lead player.

• Members

Any good musician is hard to replace. However, because there are fewer bass players and drummers in general, finding a good one is going to be harder simply based on the numbers.

A reliable, talented, dedicated, committed, personable and easy to work with, flexible with little interference from family commitments, honest, humble yet confident, no issues with drugs, alcohol, parole officers, etc..., can transport himself and the necessary gear to gigs and rehearsals, doesn't skip gigs to get laid or because he's in jail for the weekend, doesn't have an ego the size of china, etc.. musician of ANY type is almost impossible to find.

• Members

I didn't read all of the responses, so apologies if the point has been made, but the single hardest to replace is the one that is the identity of the band. Bon Scott died and AC/DC kept on strong. Angus hangs it up and they're done. VH kicked DLR to the curb and had some of their most successful years in terms of radio play and sales. No EVH and that band is over with. Everyone in Whitesnake has come and gone twice except David Coverdale, few have noticed. KISS has replaced drummer and guitar player several times, no problem. No Gene and Paul, no KISS. Bands like Rush, U2 and The Police each need all members to continue, IMO, as they are each integral to their sound. Who was Yngwie's singer? Who played guitar for Dio? Both were excellent, and some on here will know, but you see my point?

This same rings true in less famous bands -- to see whom do the people come out to the show?

• Members

Guitar players are a dime a dozen.

but a good one that can play with other musicians and actually shows up to gigs and practices is a rare find.

I've seen a ton of guitar players that are good on youtube or on recordings but throw them on a stage or in a band setting and they're completely lost.

• Members

Of course.

But your unsigned band, with no contract on the table - does not apply.

Think of it this way: if you are "Eddie" and you have that kind of "mind", then a band kicking you out would be the best thing that could happen to you.

You'll just take your mind and songs somewhere else and find some kind of success, right?

• Members

but a good one that can play with other musicians and actually shows up to gigs and practices is a rare find.

I've seen a ton of guitar players that are good on youtube or on recordings but throw them on a stage or in a band setting and they're completely lost.

THis is true.

A good guitarist that can play well with your unit is a rare find and really does make a difference.

My band upgraded guitarists a while back and it's like night and day: that's not to say our new guitarist is perfect or "godlike", but he really does destroy our old guitarist in every way possible.

Archived