what do you guys use to recorded practices and gigs?

mike-o

• Members

Zoom HD16. It records 8 tracks at once, which is really the minimum you need to get a good live recording. I run from the channel inserts on the mixer into the recorder.

With two track recording you can't adjust the mix, so it's very unlikely you'll get good results.

• Members

Last summer, I brought my Fostex MR16 to a gig. While it's a 16-track recorder, I just took a 2-track stereo mix out of the board into the first two channels. So I couldn't individually mix tracks, but for purposes of listening to the band and critiquing, it was more than adequate.

It turned out well. We were doing a two-nighter at a club, so I brought it the second night, giving our bass player a night to dial in the mix. I ended up taking some excerpts and putting it on the demo CD we send out to clubs. I posted a thread back in August with a clip from the night:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2421481

• Members

yep, for just recording our practice sessions we use a Zoom H4N. mostly just using the 2 onboard mics. we haven't had the chance to really play around with extra mics and stuff, but the quality of the H4N is pretty darn good. i'm betting with a good room and 2 additional mics one could get a pretty darn good recording with it.

• Members

In Logan Street Band, we just use straight off-the-mic 2 track recordings on the ZOOM H4N.

It gets everything: crowd talking, wind noise.

But it's an honest, no bull{censored} representation of what the band sounds like out front, at the gig.

In a former band of mine we would record off the board to a 16 track Alesis ADAT.

Big PITA setup-wise and the results weren't honest.

IMO, most club owners are more interested in hearing (and seeing) your band in action than they are in hearing a polished, "studio quality" demo.

At least that's working for us right now, where we are.

To take this band to the next level is going to require a little more work than just creating a "perfect" demo - we have to have perfect execution.

Nothing worse than getting a good gig based on a perfect demo, and then not living up to that high expectation that was set.

• Members

I have the Tascam 07 and like it's simplicity for straight recording with built in mics or from a mixer. A few more features from the guitar trainer might be handy. I haven't heard the sound guru's rate the sound quality of the various brands but the limits of the room may have more of a effect on the sound then any minor differences. I guess pick by brand and features.

I also have the Boss br-600 for multitrack recording. It has too many features to use all but they are there - it has a mastering section with three band compression and EQ with a deal to punch up the bass (most mics roll off 100 - 200 HZ range) This does a good job on live recordings. I use it for working up ideas.

We use pros for demos and cd's.

• Members

At times i have just stuck a laptop off to the side of our practice room - opened Sony Vegas - and hit "record". Results are pretty good for getting the general sound of the band - but the vocals dont really end up out the front. They get buried in the mix.

Was thinking of grabbing a little 2 channel preamp or DI or something and setting up 1 room mic and then running the vocal channel out of the PA into it as well - then into Vegas.

What's the easiest way to record a practice tho? Without having to buy heaps of gear....

• Members

Subject says it all... thinking about a Tascam DR-07 for easy practice recording. It also has a stereo line input, which would be good at gigs to go from mixer>recorder.

that works.

we use a zoom h4. pretty similar. very effective. just set it up on a mike boom, record songs and uoload to the website.

• Members

I just use a cheap and easy Zoom H2. For me, it's all about the ease of use and getting files out to band members. We just use it as a learning/self critiquing tool.

i'm thinking of getting one also. do you think it's worth paying the extra money for H4n or is the H2 sufficient (kinda wanna do the same as you guys: record our rehearsals and getting the files to everyone).

-PJ

• Moderators

i'm thinking of getting one also. do you think it's worth paying the extra money for H4n or is the H2 sufficient (kinda wanna do the same as you guys: record our rehearsals and getting the files to everyone).

-PJ

Just get the H2 unless yo want to do overdubs. What's cool about the H2 is it's dead simple. It sounds great. You mount it to a spare mic stand (adapter included), put it where it sounds good in the room and... it's sound like what it sounded like when you were standing there. For better or worse.

The import to computer is a no brainer as well. For this kind of thing I think the simpler the better. Use it as inteded... as a means of easily and cleanly documenting your bands arrangements, performance, etc.

• Members

Just get the H2 unless yo want to do overdubs. What's cool about the H2 is it's dead simple. It sounds great. You mount it to a spare mic stand (adapter included), put it where it sounds good in the room and... it's sound like what it sounded like when you were standing there. For better or worse.

The import to computer is a no brainer as well. For this kind of thing I think the simpler the better. Use it as inteded... as a means of easily and cleanly documenting your bands arrangements, performance, etc.

i'm sold! thanks!!

now, any suggestions as to how to convince the misses? i wanna buy it like right now! LOL

-PJ

Archived