2 guitarists vs 1 guitarist

Picktrade

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The only time I want to hear distortion is a bass is....well, pretty much never.

Same here - but I can understand how/why some would want to use it.

At least to an extent I can understand it.....Too often it's used as a crutch by {censored}ty ham-fisted players to cover up their poor technique and lack of dynamics.

• Members

Same here - but I can understand how/why some would want to use it.

At least to an extent I can understand it.....Too often it's used as a crutch by {censored}ty ham-fisted players to cover up their poor technique and lack of dynamics.

i have a bunch of bass pedals but i always find that they are just toys for dicking around with. live, i always have just used bass, amp, and technique. i have on occasion used a boss d1 distortion peddle to dirty up a tapping solo, but just for kicks. i play in a single guitar band, we actually fired our other guitar player. it was different, but i like the single guitar player better. less attitudes to deal with, more money. we all get along great now. lol!

• Members

I've been in both situations, and I have to say that I prefer being the only guitar player in the band. It allows me to have that "space" others have mentioned. Plus I can just riff and fiddle and noodle and not have to worry about communicating my ideas to another guitar player and worry about him "getting" them. That may sound cocky, but my creative process moves pretty quick. 3+1 formation is best for me, but every one's different.

In my current band, the singer's playing guitar roughly 1/2 the time. He's a great singer/songwriter, but his playing suffers when he sings...so he's gotta keep it simple. We're trying to strike a fine balance and get it right, but it's one of them things...

But if you're in a cover band, I would suggest that you have 2 guitarists on stage. Sort of a different dynamic, but it's one that works best.

YMMV, but that's just IME, as always.

• Members

You can stop arguing about it now. And you can stop posting examples of it. I know there's lots of guys who use bass distortion. I never said it was no good. I never said it wasn't a legitimate technique. What I said was I don't care for it. And I certainly wouldn't care for it in a blues, jazz or country band, many of which are 3 piece bands. I don't think it's a good way to compensate for a lack of other musicians during a solo in a 3 piece band.

Sometimes this place cracks me up. I could say I don't like broccoli, and there's be 6 names and 3 YouTubes of guys eating broccoli, proving...what, exactly, I'm not sure of. That broccoli exists? That some people like it? Well, there's a news flash. :wave::lol:

• Members

My only irritation with bass players in one guitar bands, are those players who interpret "step up" to mean "stomp some effects pedals and fill up the section with notes". Drives me bat{censored}. Guitar lead section... bass player decides to follow suit. Next thing you know, bottom drops right out of the mix. That's not "stepping up", that's "cluttering up".

I play in a two guitar band, but we do several one guitar tunes where our singer puts the axe down and acts a monkey. And to be honest, sometimes he doesn't play much on some of the other songs - kinda in and out depending on the dynamics of the song. My job is to be solid and keep the groove intact. I don't need to overcompensate for something that isn't there.

• Members

My only irritation with bass players in one guitar bands, are those players who interpret "step up" to mean "stomp some effects pedals and fill up the section with notes". Drives me bat{censored}. Guitar lead section... bass player decides to follow suit. Next thing you know, bottom drops right out of the mix. That's not "stepping up", that's "cluttering up".

I call that listening with the eyes: that happens a lot with posers.

There are other symptoms of this as well: but to me it all comes down to not listening to the band mix, and hearing and thinking only of yourself and your part.

• Members

I've always played in bands with 2 guitar players. Not sure why, its just always worked out that way. Recently the other guitar player in my current band quit. We both play rhythm and lead, just trade off depending on the song. So I didn't think it would be that big a deal to just continue on without a 2nd guitar. I'm finding how much of a crutch having a 2nd guitar has been. When I stop playing, there's no guitar sound anymore!!

Anyway, any tips for a guy like me learning a one guitar system of playing?

There is a lot of good advice already on this thread...heed it. Listen to those bands, especially live clips of those bands, and exploit technology if it serves your music (effects, etc). Fatten up your guitar sound a little bit if necessary - fill more sonic space.

I think the biggest thing is recognizing that everyone in the band needs to open up their ears and know what you each need to do to make the band's sound "complete". It's true in all bands, but I think moreso when there are fewer players, because sometimes it's tricky finding ways to sound "big" as a trio.

I've played in trios as a bassist/lead singer and guitarist/lead singer, and my experience has been that if you have a bassist who understands how to lay it down and fill it out when necessary, either dynamically (by playing a little louder), or harmonically (by adding flourishes and added tones, like the occasional chord), without subverting the groove, it makes the transition a lot easier.

I tend to be a bit busy as a bassist (my heroes are all busy players), but I'm very focused on the groove because it is paramount. All the extra stuff is gravy, and I try really hard to not let it get in the way of the groove.

I pretty much never use distortion, but I do have a clean boost that I sometimes employ when the guitar player takes solos. My tone naturally has a little midrange edge to it (think Chris Squire/Geddy Lee), and I find that helps GREATLY in filling out the tone of the trio.

On solos, most of the time, I just fill out my playing a little more like I described above.

But all that is beside the point, since you're a guitarist. There I go again...:blah:

Best of luck with the new format - I think you'll enjoy the freedom of flying solo once you get your band on the same page, and it'll open up your playing in ways you probably never expected.

Brian V.

• Members

I have played in two and even three guitar bands in the past. I much prefer the one guitar band, especially in a trio format. Less chance of "stepping on another player's toes" when it comes to taking a lead. Volume wars are usually pretty much non-existent (except, of course, for the drummer) and there's more money for everyone.

The only two guitar band I do like to play in is one where there's an electric lead guitar and an acoustic rhythm guitar, along with bass and drums. To me, that's the best sound for a four piece rock or country band.

• Moderators

I think the bottom line is, if you have trouble playing as the only guitarist, you need to work on your playing. And if you have trouble playing with another guitarist, then one or both of you have a comminication issue or an overplaying issue.

There, I said it. :o

• Moderators
You can stop arguing about it now. And you can stop posting examples of it. I know there's lots of guys who use bass distortion. I never said it was no good. I never said it wasn't a legitimate technique. What I said was I don't care for it. And I certainly wouldn't care for it in a blues, jazz or country band, many of which are 3 piece bands. I don't think it's a good way to compensate for a lack of other musicians during a solo in a 3 piece band.

How DARE you insult distorted country bass. :mad:

• Members

I think the bottom line is, if you have trouble playing as the only guitarist, you need to work on your playing. And if you have trouble playing with another guitarist, then one or both of you have a comminication issue or an overplaying issue.

There, I said it.
:o

:lol:

True in general, although I suppose some folks' style just isn't suited to a trio format. And when it comes to playing with another guitar player, the chemistry IS important. I love playing with another guitarist that I really "click" with, but I can't stand playing with another guitarist if our styles don't complement each other well.

• Members

And I certainly wouldn't care for it in a blues, jazz or country band, many of which are 3 piece bands. I don't think it's a good way to compensate for a lack of other musicians during a solo in a 3 piece band.

Tommy Shannon relied on distortion when backing up SRV.

Bass distortion is more common than you think. It's not the hypergain distortion used on guitars, it's much more mild. The object is not high frequency clanky harmonics, it's the midrange punch and presence that makes it sit in the mix without overwhelming the spectrum.

The Ampeg B-15 "Portaflex" is a prime example which was used on thousands of R&B and blues recordings.

• Moderators
Bass distortion is more common than you think. It's not the hypergain distortion used on guitars, it's much more mild. The object is not high frequency clanky harmonics, it's the midrange punch and presence that makes it sit in the mix without overwhelming the spectrum.

You reminded me of something...

During the tracking of one of my old band's albums, I took a break after completing a drum take on a song. It was a pretty clean, jangly affair, kind of Smiths-ey. Anyway, I came back later to hear the near finished-version, with several guitars and bass completed. The bass in particular sounded killer; we all commented on it. Smooth and (sorry for the overused word) very punchy.

Then the producer soloed it. I could not believe how overdriven it was; you just didn't hear it in the mix.
:eek:

• Members

I love playing with another guitarist that I really "click" with, but I can't stand playing with another guitarist if our styles don't complement each other well.

Agreed - when I was learning to drive, my dad's #1 rule was "The right away is always something you yield." I think this should be the golden rule when playing with other musicians.

• Members

Agreed - when I was learning to drive, my dad's #1 rule was "The
right away
is always something you yield." I think this should be the golden rule when playing with other musicians.

I'm guessing you meant "right of way", right? Just want to be clear, not trying to be douchey (but sort of failing, so sorry).

Brian V.

• Members

Tommy Shannon relied on distortion when backing up SRV.

Sorry, I don't hear it. I've listened to Tommy since he played with Johnny Winter in 1970. I have tons of JW live CDs and SRV cds and don't hear any bass distortion.

You might be confusing overdrive with distortion.

But whatever, when I play in a trio, I much prefer a big fat warm clean bass sound, no distortion or OD.

• Members

Sorry, I don't hear it. I've listened to Tommy since he played with Johnny Winter in 1970. I have tons of JW live CDs and SRV cds and don't hear any bass distortion.

You might be confusing overdrive with distortion.

But whatever, when I play in a trio, I much prefer a big fat warm clean bass sound, no distortion or OD.

OD bass screams turn it down or buy a different amp.

Archived