TIP JAR and Selling your ceedees at OPEN MIC

• Members

Open mikes come in all flavors. If there's customarily no tip jar, it would appear presumptuous to me if someone brought one onstage with him. It would leave an unfavorable impression.

As to CD's, yeah, mention them from onstage, find a back corner area to sell them. Just so it doesn't interfere with or disrupt anyone else's show. It would still be a good idea to clear it with the host, though.

• Members

Open mikes come in all flavors. If there's customarily no tip jar, it would appear presumptuous to me if someone brought one onstage with him. It would leave an unfavorable impression.

As to CD's, yeah, mention them from onstage, find a back corner area to sell them. Just so it doesn't interfere with or disrupt anyone else's show. It would still be a good idea to clear it with the host, though.

I never put a tip jar out and I was aware of how rusty I was and even so I got several tips, them folkes just laid dollars on my table, which was way cool to me.

a couple of folkes bought me a cold beer and the manager wants me to come back next week.

now he wants to do open mic every week.

I'm in like flinn! whoo hoo!

thanks folkes!

TD

• Members
I never put a tip jar out and I was aware of how rusty I was and even so I got several tips, them folkes just laid dollars on my table, which was way cool to me.

a couple of folkes bought me a cold beer and the manager wants me to come back next week.

now he wants to do open mic every week.

I'm in like flinn! whoo hoo!

thanks folkes!

TD

The real question is, is he going to pay you? Or has he just booked himself some free entertainment?

Are you going to be the host of the open mic, or are you just going to get up there and play by yourself for a few hours?

Anyway, good job. It sounds like you performed well and the management thought you were good enough to invite back.:thu:

• Members
The real question is, is he going to pay you? Or has he just booked himself some free entertainment?

Are you going to be the host of the open mic, or are you just going to get up there and play by yourself for a few hours?

Anyway, good job. It sounds like you performed well and the management thought you were good enough to invite back.
:thu:

The manager actually mentioned that The host part is something I can do and workin my way in to that position will happen.
I just wanted a nice place to work my craft and got a lot more than I bargained for.

Oh yeah and at the end of the night he brought me a nice new shirt!
Whoo hoo!
win, win.
Thanks for lettin' me share. TD

• Members

The manager actually mentioned that The host part is something I can do and workin my way in to that position will happen.

Have you ever hosted an opn mic or jam?

It's torture. Do you have the word SUCKER tatooed on your forehead, by any chance?

• Members

I've hosted a few open mikes, not regularly, and they can be a lot of fun. As far as being a "Sucker" goes, it depends on what you get out of it. Eat and drink for free, meet a lot of people in the musical community, polish your performance, maybe even get paid. I know more than a few people who started out this way. The things you learn, the people you meet, they can open the doors on a lot of opportunities. Good on ya for carpe-ing the diem. Now go have fun with it.

• Members
I actually did bus a table. There was a little bit of someones sandwich left on a plate so I got to eat too! yay!

:wave:

Dude, you've got a good voice, and you play acoustic pretty well.

But man- you have GOT to get a drummer and an electric guitarist to record your tracks.

The drum programming and electric guitar on your stuff is damn near unlistenable.

Up your game is what I'm saying: pay some attention to detail and improve the quality of your recorded performances.

• Members

I did an open mic a couple of months ago. I was the only other person to show that night other than the host. When it was my turn to get up on stage the host took off to go have a smoke, go to the bathroom, get a beer, etc. I ended being up for around 30 minutes or so.

This open mic doesn't put a tip jar out, but during the 30 minutes I was on stage I guy got up grabbed an empty beer mug and put $5 in it. He pointed at it and lipped the words "for you" while I was playing. Before I finished the host came back saw the five bucks and took it. Then ran off to have another smoke.

I didn't care that much since it was just $5, but it was more the principal of it. Suffices to say I didn't go back to that open mic.

Since that time, I heard that open mic had been canceled since no one was going. I can only guess as to why...

• Members

I've hosted a few open mikes, not regularly, and they can be a lot of fun. As far as being a "Sucker" goes, it depends on what you get out of it. Eat and drink for free, meet a lot of people in the musical community, polish your performance, maybe even get paid. I know more than a few people who started out this way. The things you learn, the people you meet, they can open the doors on a lot of opportunities. Good on ya for carpe-ing the diem. Now go have fun with it.

Or have the same 5 or 6 people come in every week and play the same Neil Young/Jimmy Buffett/ Every Rose Has It's Thorns/ Knockin on Heavens Door and get your PA gear mauled, your cords broken, your mics slobbered all over or knocked down, and the club owner asking if he can go light 50 bucks because they didn't have that good or a night. :facepalm:

I've been to some open mics that were fun like you describe, but the one my band ended up hosting had to provide PA, play the opening set ( we actually cut it back to 4 or 5 songs) and then hang around the whole night and babysit the players, some of whom were solo guys ("don't you have a pre-amp/acoustic mic for my acoustic guitar?") and some of whom wanted to play with the band, and then got pissed because we didn't know all their favorite metal tunes. One guy brought a laptop with backing tracks and dicked around with it for 10 minutes trying to get it to work and then bitched because I didn't have a concert quality PA to make him sound good, not that it would have helped. No thanks. One bad experience was enough for me.

• Members
Or have the same 5 or 6 people come in every week and play the same Neil Young/Jimmy Buffett/ Every Rose Has It's Thorns/ Knockin on Heavens Door and get your PA gear mauled, your cords broken, your mics slobbered all over or knocked down, and the club owner asking if he can go light 50 bucks because they didn't have that good or a night.
:facepalm:

That's because you're doing it wrong.

You're supposed to do a BLUES JAM where you have the same 5 or 6 people come in every week and play the same Red House/Sweet Home Chicago/Stormy Monday/Pride and Joy and get your PA gear mauled, your cords broken, your mics slobbered all over or knocked down: all while enduring the endless complaints about the tone of your amp, and the fact that "real blues" can only be played on a particular brand of guitar and amp.

:p

• Members

Dude, you've got a good voice, and you play acoustic pretty well.

But man- you have GOT to get a drummer and an electric guitarist to record your tracks.

The drum programming and electric guitar on your stuff is damn near unlistenable.

Up your game is what I'm saying: pay some attention to detail and improve the quality of your recorded performances.

LOL ok thanks for your input dude.

Yeah programming drums is not my forte' and I'm learning as I go. I know if I keep at it the sounds will get better.

I just wish to do what I love to do and somehow make a few bucks while I'm at it.

SO your input is both valuable and welcome to me.

Thanks for taking the time to hear some of my jams.

I tried to finde some of yours .

Where is some of your music I can hear?

• Members

Like I said Blue, they come in all flavors. I keep my set up simple, define the limitations (If you need something we ain't got, you shoulda brought it with you), and try to stay on schedule. I do mostly acoustic stuff, and that helps keep things straight forward. Time slots are specific and include set up time. Worst part for me is that on a good night I don't get to play much.

Archived