TIP JAR and Selling your ceedees at OPEN MIC

• Members

is it okay to have a tip jar at an open mic if you are doing more than two songs?

I plan on doing around fifteen tunes.

I also wish to offer my homemade ceedees for sale and what would be a fair price for my accumulated works.

there are 23 tunes on each ceedee. all original.

These ceedees represent a LOT of time and energy but the production values are less than nominal.

so what do you folkes think?

thanks in advance! TD

• Members

It depends on how structured the open mic is. If its what I call a canned show ,, where you have the same guys show up and put on the show. A good way to do it is to have a tip jar and all the guys who play the thing split the jar at the end of the night. If its a regular open mic with a constant stream of new guys,,, the host gets the jar. They typially play the first set then bring the guys up who are the known factors and save the noobs till the end of the night. guys work their way into the earlier spots as they prove they wont clear the place.

• Members

Maybe just sell them for whatever they wanna pay. If you end up just giving them away, that's fine too. If someone asks how much people usually pay, just say $5 or something, they'll either say that's too much and pay what they have ($2-3?) or think it's reasonable and pay you the $5.

This kind of combines selling the cd and having a tip jar. Think of it as giving out the cd's, and if they pay for them, that's the tip.

Most small acts don't sell their cd's out here unless it's at a real gig. For something like an open mic, you're probably going to have other artists there and if they have cd's for free, and yours is for $5, they might think it's lame that you're selling it.

The point is to expose your music. If other people are selling their cd's, then sell yours, if they're giving them out... you probably don't want to be selling it.

Just my opinion of course.

• Members

15 minutes is pretty standard for an open mic here.

I would go and play once before trying a tip jar. Most likely all you are going to accomplish with a tip jar is to offend the other musicians.

As far as your CD...23 tracks of poorly recorded material is NOT something you want people to have. Pick the best 5 or 6, record them proper and make an EP.

Even then, trying to sell CD's at an open mic is short sighted. If you want to get your name out there as an artist, giving your EP's away is going to get you much more exposure than trying to hope people are compelled enough to spend whatever you are charging for a CD.

• Members

I say a tip jar is classless at an open mic. You can sell CDs only during your performance time slot. How would you like the other performers selling their stuff during your performance?

If the CD quality is poor you will be doing more to hurt your career then help it. Get it professionally mastered and packaged then sell it.

• Members

...the host gets the jar. ...

Why the fvck would the host get the tip jar money?!?

At the open mics I go to, the host empties whatever is in the tip jar after each player and gives the money to them.

• Members

If you're playing 15 songs, it's not an open mic. It's a set. Albeit a short one.

Agreed. If it's the same deal as in this thread, http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2594217, where the OP might actually be playing 15 songs, I personally would put out a tip jar for sure. :) It has ceased to be an open mic at that point, and has become more of a showcase, IMO.

When I hosted the semi-open mic, my rules as the host were if you got tipped while you were playing, it's yours to keep. The slots were half an hour, and a couple of times people threw 20's in the jar. The musicians loved it.

• Members

Why the fvck would the host get the tip jar money?!?

At the open mics I go to, the host empties whatever is in the tip jar after each player and gives the money to them.

He owns and loads in the PA and loads it out...He fixes it when it breaks,,,,, and has to carry the whole show if no one shows up .... being the host is a real gig. getting up and playing three songs , is the guy that cant do a whole gig. open mics are for guys who are not to the point of doing the whole show. Many of these guys are full time musicans. respect guy ,, they got to eat. just my feeling. Grubbin over a tip jar with a guy who has to make a living full time at music is somthing that I dont want to get involved with.

If you are a pro ,, host a open mic night... if you are not ,, get up and play and be happy. open mics are the place where guys get experience in front of a crowd... who are not ready for the full gig. so when you do your three songs you get 5 bucks in the jar ,,, is that really that important? Not to me. i would feel like a dork if I let myself go there. Hell i am more apt to put a couple bucks in the hosts jar than expect anything....thats just the way I operate. We go out and sing kereokee sometimes with some of my music friends ,, hell I always tip the host. I will tip my friends at shows. I support live music.. But then I grew up when live music was king and no one wanted a guy spinning records. I dont drink so ,, my tab is always real small ,, so If i can thow a few bucks to a musican ,, that works for me.

• Members

He owns and loads in the PA and loads it out...He fixes it when it breaks,,,,, and has to carry the whole show if no one shows up .... being the host is a real gig. getting up and playing three songs , is the guy that cant do a whole gig. open mics are for guys who are not to the point of doing the whole show. Many of these guys are full time musicans. respect guy ,, they got to eat. just my feeling. Grubbin over a tip jar with a guy who has to make a living full time at music is somthing that I dont want to get involved with.

If you are a pro ,, host a open mic night... if you are not ,, get up and play and be happy. open mics are the place where guys get experience in front of a crowd... who are not ready for the full gig. so when you do your three songs you get 5 bucks in the jar ,,, is that really that important? Not to me. i would feel like a dork if I let myself go there. Hell i am more apt to put a couple bucks in the hosts jar than expect anything....thats just the way I operate. We go out and sing kereokee sometimes with some of my music friends ,, hell I always tip the host. I will tip my friends at shows. I support live music.. But then I grew up when live music was king and no one wanted a guy spinning records. I dont drink so ,, my tab is always real small ,, so If i can thow a few bucks to a musican ,, that works for me.

The host gets paid by the bar.

:facepalm:

...and around here, open mics tend to attract the bored "pro" musician looking for a place to hang out with his peers and play a little music on their nights off.

:facepalm::facepalm:

• Members

The host gets paid by the bar.

...and around here, open mics tend to attract the bored "pro" musician looking for a place to hang out with his peers and play a little music on their nights off.

But never enough lol It is what it is.

• Members

If you're playing 15 songs, it's not an open mic. It's a set. Albeit a short one.

I'd get your CD properly produced before I tried to sell it.

15 songs is almost an hour set for me doing a solo.

Tip jar at open mic=bad idea.

Selling poorly produced CDs =worse idea.

• Members

I occasionally host open mike and jam nights. On those nights I put a tip jar out. And at the end of the night the money that is in the tip jar goes to the band that hosted the jam in addition to our pay.

At the jams I host I really don't mind if you have a CD you want to sell. You can sell it.

• Members

Agreed. If it's the same deal as in this thread,
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2594217
, where the OP might actually be playing 15 songs, I personally would put out a tip jar for sure.
:)
It has ceased to be an open mic at that point, and has become more of a showcase, IMO.

When I hosted the semi-open mic, my rules as the host were if you got tipped while you were playing, it's yours to keep. The slots were half an hour, and a couple of times people threw 20's in the jar. The musicians loved it.

If this is the Open Mic the OP is talking about, that does change things.

If last time you were the only guy, ask the bar staf if it's cool to upt out a jar. If it is, why not?

But still make a better CD to sell because it's the ONE chance you will get to have people hear you and you want to put you rbest foot forward. You could also tell them that you will be back in tow weeks, if they like what you are doing.

• Members

I host one every week and if someone gets tipped while he / she plays I give them the money.

I have had people bring in CD's to sell. I tell them to have them out where they are sitting and before their last song mention they have CD's available and to see them after that song if anyone would like one.

Pretty easy way of doing it

• Members

I occasionally host open mike and jam nights. On those nights I put a tip jar out. And at the end of the night the money that is in the tip jar goes to the band that hosted the jam in addition to our pay.

At the jams I host I really don't mind if you have a CD you want to sell. You can sell it.

I go to open open mic/band jam where the host gives every performer a ticket. At the end of the night there is a drawing and the winner gets the tips. The band/host gets paid by the bar owner.

• Members

15 songs is almost an hour set for me doing a solo.

Tip jar at open mic=bad idea.

Selling poorly produced CDs =worse idea.

this. When I BUY a CD I am expecting a professionally done product. Just the other night I went to a CD release party and was more than a little pissed off when my CD turned out to be just a recorded show. If you sell a poorly done CD you accomplish two things and they are both bad:

a) you piss off anyone who paid money expecting a quality product

b) you are presenting your music in a fashion which doesn't do it justice. A guy who buys your CD isn't an A&R person or a producer. He is an average guy. An average guy sees a bad with a bad sound guy and thinks the sound sucks. In this case, that average guy buys your CD and thinks YOU suck.

• Members

I go to open open mic/band jam where the host gives every performer a ticket. At the end of the night there is a drawing and the winner gets the tips.

That's one way to get the musicians to stick around after they play. :lol: Brilliant.

• Members

this. When I
BUY
a CD I am expecting a professionally done product. Just the other night I went to a CD release party and was more than a little pissed off when my CD turned out to be just a recorded show. If you sell a poorly done CD you accomplish two things and they are both bad:

a) you piss off anyone who paid money expecting a quality product

b) you are presenting your music in a fashion which doesn't do it justice. A guy who buys your CD isn't an A&R person or a producer. He is an average guy. An average guy sees a bad with a bad sound guy and thinks the sound sucks. In this case, that average guy buys your CD and thinks YOU suck.

most folkes like my ceedees.

• Members
most folkes like my ceedees.

if its the stuff on your website I'm assuming by "most folks" you mean "people who I know". The music on your website is simply not produced enough to be a "for sale" product. It's like buying a bike but getting a box with a frame, some wheels, gears and a {censored}load of nuts and bolts. For $100 you could go into a studio and record 5 live songs in HQ that would be worth much more than 23 songs that sound like you recorded them on your cel phone's voice notes. Hell... my cel phone's voice notes records better quality than what you have on your site.

• Members

if its the stuff on your website I'm assuming by "most folks" you mean "people who I know". The music on your website is simply not produced enough to be a "for sale" product. It's like buying a bike but getting a box with a frame, some wheels, gears and a {censored}load of nuts and bolts. For $100 you could go into a studio and record 5 live songs in HQ that would be worth much more than 23 songs that sound like you recorded them on your cel phone's voice notes. Hell... my cel phone's voice notes records better quality than what you have on your site.

100 bucks ,,,, your guy must have a really good cell phone. a real CD takes some major cake. Now thats not to say there are not budget amateur studio guys who can do what you need.

• Members

100 bucks ,,,, your guy must have a really good cell phone. a real CD takes some major cake. Now thats not to say there are not budget amateur studio guys who can do what you need.

I mean going into a studio and setting up a ribbon mic and recording guitar and vocals live for 5 songs. You should be able to do it in 2 hours and have it EQed and mixed in another hour. I think you can get that done for $100. The songs on his site are distorted and the guitars and vox sound really bad. I'm saying that 5 clean songs > 23 poorly recorded songs.

Archived