overcoming adversity

Kramerguy

• Members

So this is just a cool story, might be long tho-

This is my cover band

So our drummer quit the 20 something of May, after a couple of gigs. He was older and just not into it anymore- sick of lugging gear too. We didn't have any immediate gigs so it was okay.

I get a call from a local venue literally the day after he quit, saying they had a cancellation and needed a band to fill it (sat june 12th). I say let me get back to you-

So I call the guys, tell them the story, and assure them I know a couple of drummers that could fill-in and it won't be an issue- so I take the gig.

I call drummer #1, a more-than-capable drummer who is a bit of a drinker, but otherwise okay. My only concern is that his GF is a bit of a Yoko, but figure we will see..

I call drummer #2, mostly because he's much more stable in life than #1, could be an okay fill-in, and a decent backup in case #1 falls out.

Both agree that they want to do the gig (with full knowledge of each other and their role), and both want to audition for the band, fantastic.

So we set rehearsal with #1. He calls 1 hour before the rehearsal and claims he broke his hand at work that day. I start leaning on him for details, and he then admits that his GF has a big problem with him playing in a band (that she can't control) that doesn't rehearse in their house.. yeah. So he's out.

The next day, #2 sends me an email, his band had scheduled a gig for the 12th without telling him, so not only he can't do the gig, but doesn't even want to audition because he doesn't feel comfortable being involved with two bands.

So , up goes the Craigslist ad. Need drummer asap, etc..

I get two responses with links to alleged websites to purchase brides from Russia, and 2 responses from drummers.

I trade emails with both for a few days and agree to audition both. I set them up a week apart. Drummer #3 (first audition) claims he can learn our entire set list, I told him to just come and know a handful of songs well and we can jam all night, but we want to see that he can nail songs well.

Well, he shows up, eyes all bloodshot and a total dullard. OMG, he's effin stoned out of his mind... :facepalm: Well, he didn't get through ONE song well. Not one. He had an ipod, and before we went into any song, he had to listen to it first. He was a decent player, but clearly came unprepared, high, and wasn't good enough to BS his way through the material.

I'm still in touch with #4 - although about 5 days before the audition, he goes quiet on me. Not that I expected him to kiss my ass or anything, but he was really eager for about a week, then just got really quiet. About 2 days before his audition, I left him a voicemail (after no response to email) just asking if he was still interested and to confirm the audition. He sent me an email back assuring me he was going to be there.

at 3AM, the night before his audition, he sent me an email saying he broke his hand (mountain biking). I sent him an email back, remarking my astonishment at the accident rate amongst drummers on the days of their auditions. He let me know what an asshole I was. I think I made a post here revelling at that amazing incident rate among musicians in general on gig/audition dates.

So, now getting desperate, less than 2 weeks to gig time, I contact the drummer in my originals band. He's in a coverband also, that had a gig that night, but I knew they used a fill-in frequently because he does a lot of musicals and stuff that prevents him from being always available. So his coverband agrees to use their fill-in, so he can fill-in for us. Whew, dodged a bullet there!

I still get a couple more hits from the CL ad and set up auditions the weeks after the gig.

Well, saturday afternoon hits, we're all running our errands and stuff for the day, getting ready to meet up for the gig, and the drummer calls me - 3 hours before setup time!! His brother-in-law had a massive seizure, had to be taken to ICU, put into a medical coma, and all hell broke loose, no way he can do the gig.

Aw {censored}!

I call the guys, explain the situation. Anger, despair, and depression are only a few of the emotions we felt collectively. We promoted the hell out of this show and there was no time to be able to notify everyone; facebook, myspace friends would likely never see an update anyways. They want to cancel immediately, I ask them to give me 30 minutes to find a solution.

So I'm in full panic mode - I call the drummer set to audition the following week. He had mentioned that he was coming out to see us, and even had wanted to do a song or two if we wanted. I got his VM and left a very urgent message letting him know the situation and asking if he would be interested in playing the gig, totally impromptu, to save our asses. He actually called me back 10 minutes later and said sure. :eek::cool:

So we met this guy at 7PM, set up. Went over the song list, he said so long as I cued him on a few songs, he was good with all but a handful of songs. cool. We added a bunch of commons like simple man and sedated, etc.. to pad the list.

Needless to say, this guy was good, REAL good. He took cues really well, fell into songs with precision, great timing, knew most songs from hearing them even if he hadn't ever played them. Overall about 70 people came out to see us + whatever built in crowd the bar had. The owner was happy as hell and gave us more than agreed on! He said we sounded fantastic and killed at the door.

So, wow.. what a gig! What a save.

Yeah, I know, something positive out of me, go figure!

• Members

Man, glad to hear that all worked out for you! Sometimes things just falling into place is what ends up working out the best.

Drummers have been the bane of my musical existance. Don't know why that is, but while I can count on or two hands the number of singers, bass players and guitarists I've had in my regular bands, the number of drummers I've used has been in the dozens. AND that's the chair I'd LEAST like to have people just 'sit in' on.

• Members

Ah yes...been in a few of those down-to-the-wire situations, myself.

So I am assuming the last guy is your new drummer?
:)

well...

He had one other audition this week that he feels obligated to follow thru with, and we have another drummer auditioning next week for us - same situation. We talked and understand the situation- for us, the other drummer would need to have sparks shooting out his arse while he farts the star spangled banner and holds a perfect tempo on the set at the same time, in order to beat this guy. :cool:

• Members

wow! pretty amazing! Congrats on finding someone to fill at the last sec.

It is amazing the amount of musicians who just don't have their {censored} together. I was having a conversation with a guy who shoots music videos and he was amazed by the "I don't care" attitude that many musicians have.

oh and it's not just drummers BTW.

• Members

As you found out real accomplished musicians are hard to find. A temporary fix/bandaid for a misssing drummer or bassist is to use a keyboard/sound module/sampler/computer sampler and a sequencer and play the drums by using cakewalk /cubase/other sequencing software. Drums always sound fairly good on keyboards/modules/samplers, as do keyboard parts.

Its a little more difficult to do bass parts because its hard to find good sound patches for bass. But the sequencer has no problem with drums, bass or piano parts. What it cannot do is guitar and vocals.

So as an emergency backup, I would suggest getting midi files of your set list and a computer and sequencer software, so you at least have something to fall back on.

Its a whole lot better than nothing....but obviously not as good as a real musician.

Unfortunatly, there is a learning curve..but you should be able to figure it out in a month or two, with some books on midi, cakewalk/cubase ect, fast start dvd on a keyboard.

The added advantage, is you can add instruments you dont play, and they can play while you play guitar or sing.

that my two cents worth..

• Members

thanks for the suggestion happ- Although I'm a purist in the sense that I refuse to use pre-programmed anything. It's just not my way. But yeah, it could save a gig, but I'm working on an alternative idea of getting a local community of the "good" players who are willing to fill in as needed for each other (and pay, of course!)

• Members

Isn't that a killer feeling when you start playing with someone and they just rock, out of the blue?

I've had that a couple of times. One was our little hobby band wanted to do My Pal (GOD). Just an open mic thing, no gig at stake or anything. Our drummer wasn't available. So we asked around the open mic, no-one knew it (not surprising). So we described it to one guy and he said "I'll give it a shot". Hot Dang ... maybe he _did_ know it and he just wasn't letting on!? Whatever, it was great :D

GaJ

• Members

On my last gig, our drummer ended up putting a hole in the bass drum head and was far from where we could get a replacement. Thankfully, our singer used to do some drumming and kept his kit not far from where we we're playing. We made the run just before stage time.

Archived