Soul / R&B: Anybody playing it?

New Trail

• Members

clapton didnt have to live up to hendrix ,, he has outlived him by more than 40 years. If chokin on your own puke is the high point in a blues mans career ,, hendrix achieved it:thu:

How about a little respect Rhat...sure Hendrix died of an overdose...but it doesn't take anything away from his playing......

If you read Clapton's bio, it's pretty clear that Eric thought that Jimmy was the second coming...so much so, that interviews years later of why he doesn't cover Hendrix tunes, is fear...simply put...being put up against Jimmy on his music....he did it once....Voodo child...and it wasn't amazing.....not taking anything away from Eric...but Jimmy was a pretty hard act to follow in 1967, and people are still chasing what he brought to the table...

SeniorBlues - Probably the best example of Popa Chubby's game is 'Snoop Down Baby' and his rendition of 'Hey Joe'

What make's Popa so good is that he has licks and technique way outside your conventional player, draws on alot of genres...and packs alot into a solo..

Watch his vids...if you see one better, I would like to see it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How about a little respect Rhat...sure Hendrix died of an overdose...but it doesn't take anything away from his playing......

If you read Clapton's bio, it's pretty clear that Eric thought that Jimmy was the second coming...so much so, that interviews years later of why he doesn't cover Hendrix tunes, is fear...simply put...being put up against Jimmy on his music....he did it once....Voodo child...and it wasn't amazing.....not taking anything away from Eric...but Jimmy was a pretty hard act to follow in 1967, and people are still chasing what he brought to the table...

SeniorBlues - Probably the best example of Popa Chubby's game is 'Snoop Down Baby' and his rendition of 'Hey Joe'

What make's Popa so good is that he has licks and technique way outside your conventional player, draws on alot of genres...and packs alot into a solo..

Watch his vids...if you see one better, I would like to see it.

Actually hendrix was innovative,, but if you really listen to his live stuff it was really sloppy. As for still chasing hendrix ,, be honest with yourself. guitar slingers left hendrix in the weeds years ago. He was somthing in his day ,, but playing lead has evolved way past hendrix over the years.

Watch that guitar shorty vid ,,, shorty was an influence on hendrix,, shorty was married to jimmys half sister. Yea for real.

• Members

Blue...no doubt A.Y. is good...but the 'down home three black guys on a porch' type of blues is best kept on the porch....that's the blues of 1930s....

You know, Tim, just when I think you might actually be catching on to being a decent person, you go and say something stupid.

Delta and Mississippi blues is timeless. Someone needs to keep it alive. It doesn't mean other stuff isn't good. But the old stuff is good too, and needs to be preserved.

You do realize that every alt you come up with is blown by the over use of ellipses, don't you? :wave:

• Members

Blue - I like the old stuff...just don't think it's the wave of the future...none the less....some of Ry Cooters stuff and an Eric Johnson Acoustic version is some of the best music I have heard....I might explore it someday to play...but like anything...choose your battles..time is short..

In the mean time I will continue to work on the 'decent human being thing'....you let me know when I get there....

• Members

Blue - I like the old stuff...just don't think it's the wave of the future...none the less....some of
Ry Cooters
stuff and an Eric Johnson Acoustic version is some of the best music I have heard....I might explore it someday to play...but like anything...choose your battles..time is short..

In the mean time I will continue to work on the 'decent human being thing'....you let me know when I get there....

It's Cooder, not Cooter, and as to the second part-well, I won't hold my breath!

Once a troll, always a troll. :wave:

• Members

Actually hendrix was innovative,, but if you really listen to his live stuff it was really sloppy. As for still chasing hendrix ,, be honest with yourself. guitar slingers left hendrix in the weeds years ago. He was somthing in his day ,, but playing lead has evolved way past hendrix over the years......

The thing about Hendrix is that he died. Like Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, he didn't live long enough to pale in the eyes of his admirers. If Clapton had died after the Mayall Bluesbreaker album HE would have been Hendrix.

• Members

The thing about Hendrix is that he died. Like Marilyn Monroe and James Dean, he didn't live long enough to pale in the eyes of his admirers. If Clapton had died after the Mayall Bluesbreaker album HE would have been Hendrix.

I wonder what his fans would have thought of that disco single Hendrix would have no doubt released in 1979?

• Members

Pretty much ,,, I was in high school when jimmy OD'd. he was the hottest guitar slinger out there... that said. He sure as hell would not be the hottest guitar slinger out there today if he had lived. I mean when i first started playing in bands BB King and Chuck berry were the hottest guitar slingers , but they only held that status for a year or so.... guys came along that could clean their clocks. its all relative. Its progression of guys building upon other guys licks. You can hear the guitar heros of the past in the new hottest kid on the block.... thats a given. you have a ton of hendrix worship comming from guy that were not even born when jimmy was alive. there is somthing to be said for being dead i guess.

• Members

This has been talked about several times here over the years. Had Hendrix lived, he'd probably have been scorned as having 'sold out', 'lost his edge', etc etc much like Clapton has been.

The thing about guitar heroes is that they're damned if they do and damned if they don't-experiment and/or change course in your career, and you're labeled either a sellout or turning your back on your fans by becoming inaccessible. But if you don't change, you're boring, repetitive and still making the same record over and over.

Who knows what Hendrix would be like today? Or SRV or any number of guys who died way too young? It's fun to think about, though.

• Members

This has been talked about several times here over the years. Had Hendrix lived, he'd probably have been scorned as having 'sold out', 'lost his edge', etc etc much like Clapton has been.

The thing about guitar heroes is that they're damned if they do and damned if they don't-experiment and/or change course in your career, and you're labeled either a sellout or turning your back on your fans by becoming inaccessible. But if you don't change, you're boring, repetitive and still making the same record over and over.

Who knows what Hendrix would be like today? Or SRV or any number of guys who died way too young? It's fun to think about, though.

I think he would have been alot like chuck berry or BB king. respected for who he was and what he brought to the game of guitar playing. for sure of the three ,, BBKing is has stood the test of time as a man. the guy has class.... somthing that chuck and jimmy may never had been able to master.

• Members

Best to die young and leave a good looking corpse!

• Members

I like what Metalica said when they were accused of selling out..

'Yeah we sell out every night'

Success speaks for itself.....

Archived