My conversation w/ a bar owner

Kramerguy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here is the most likely answer:

Bar owner is stressed out because business sucks. His perception=musicians are supposed to bring in a crowd. Therefore, he has deflected blame onto you. NOW, you, who are the reason he isn't doing well (in his mind) actually tell him how to run his business. Now you're the asshole.

psych degree, mofos.

thanks for typing the correct answer for me:thu:

edit: if there are any car dealerships around, I want to drive the monster truck through the front door.

• Members

argh.. I hate coming off all wrong ., I was hurried in typing the original post-

You didn't come off wrong at all; some people on this forum always have a twirked view of interpreting stuff that I don't understand...

My two cents: this bar owner is a reason to not play the gig. You mentioned there's not much of a financial gain - why play it anymore?

You tried to help him get more business and he got upset? He's a loser. It's one thing if he said "no, I can't," but sounds to me like he's over-sensitive and could use a communications lesson. Go play at his competitor's bar and make it awesome. :thu:

• Members

haha thanks for the advice.

I discussed it with my co-duo-partner first, and we probably won't be playing there again after this gig. Not just for the attitude so much as it's just not profitable for us, and we're moving up the ladder to the opening for big acts scene- don't need this aggravation any more lol.

• Members

I discussed it with my co-duo-partner first, and we probably won't be playing there again after this gig. Not just for the attitude so much as it's just not profitable for us, and we're moving up the ladder to the opening for big acts scene- don't need this aggravation any more lol.

Hallelujah. Good on ya. :thu:

• Members

I agree. I just couldn't imagine that guy paying a flat rate, with his attitude.

Yeah, I know. I just will not work for a percentage of a gig when I have no control over how the business is run. If they want me to rely on a percentage of the way they do business, I want a say in it.

• Members

Bars dont seem to get the idea that the vast majority of people dont want to stay out to 1.30 am. Their bio clocks are not wired that way. I cant think of how many times i would have liked to to see a band and just didnt because i knew it was going to be a really late night.

You mean "ppl over the age of 40 dont want to stay out until 1:30am".

Because trust me - ppl my age (im 28) and younger will do it 7 nights a week, Or least on the weekend when they dont have work the next day.

I know this because we do it - and we arent in the minority. Bars here are packed from 9-2:30/3am ish when they close both fri and sat nights if they have entertainment or something to keep ppl there.

• Members

Because trust me - ppl my age (im 28) and younger will do it 7 nights a week, Or least on the weekend when they dont have work the next day.

I know this because we do it - and we arent in the minority. Bars here are packed from 9-2:30/3am ish when they close both fri and sat nights if they have entertainment or something to keep ppl there.

Lived in Vegas from age 21 to about 32. If you got home before the sun came up you were leaving early. As long as I showed up on time for my 8 AM shift at the record store, everything was cool.

• Members

i guess i was working too much to ever stay out like that even at that age. i was working two jobs and did that for a good number of years. i was never much of a drinker in those days either.... didnt do much of that till i was older..

• Members

# no pay (some free pitchers of beer if we do well at the door could be some beer bought by us for you also)........... chance to book future gigs yourself at good club.

# preferably rock.........original / cover your choice.

# we can discuss gear but you dont need much more than guitars and a snare.

this. is. amazing!

I will derail for a sec and tell this story about stupid bar owners and the day before Thanksgiving. About 4 years ago we asked to play a club in our area the day before thanksgiving. It was a club that had bands 1X a week and the crowd was our kind of crowd. The owner said, no and that he would be busy anyway so way pay a band?

fair enough...

So we played a dance club right down the street that usually does DJs and only does bands 2X per year (thanksgiving eve & NYE) His club was dead and the club we played was jammed packed!

the guy who said no to us has been booking bands Thanksgiving eve ever since.

• Members

Kramer, I made a few calls and looked into this for you a bit. It appears that some dive bar down the street has recently hired some guy named Dalton. This hot shot Dalton has started kicking ass on all the old trouble maker patrons at this bar and things have totally turned around!!

The guy you've been working for is REALLY pissed because HE BUILT THIS TOWN and now this guy Dalton is screwing everything up for him! Not to mention Dalton's banging his ex every night in the barn across the lake!

My suggestion would be to get a monster truck and run over some cars at a local dealership!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

"I thought you'd be bigger..." :D

Archived