Recommend Me A "Comfy" Keyboard Seat

ggm1960

• Members

Then just get an Onstage heavy duty keyboard bench - and look - half price at American Musical.

bench

It is super comfy.

I have had one for about six years, and it has held my fat ass with no worries.

Just be careful setting it up or tearing it down...it can be a finger guillotine.

That's the one I bought. Used it for a few sit-down gigs on keyboards from 2005-2007. I thought it was pretty comfortable, although it scared me a little bit when I tried to adjust myself and wiggle. Leaned back a bit too easily for my nerves! Other than that, I liked it. :thu:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed. Unless there's a pressing medical condition or you're a organist who plays using the foot pedals, there's no excuse for a keyboard player to be sitting any more than there is for guitarists or singers, IMO.

I disagree. It might just be personal preference for the situation. When I was a bass guitarist/keyboardist for two country-rock bands a few years back, there were times where I played sitting down, other times standing up. It often depends on the stage area and the environment. It was easier to use an Ultimate stand for street dances on flatbed trailer stages. When there was room, I broke out the A-frame stand and piano bench that cooterbrown linked to and pretended I was Ray Manzarek.

Also, the style of music can be key. The keyboardist I may work with in the near future is a "sitter," while I am primarily a "stander." He is more of a jazzer, I'm a rocker. It makes sense that you stand, because your band is all about high energy and a party atmosphere. But The Doors music was moody and powerful for me, so it never bothered me that Manzarek sat when he played. It looked right in my eyes. So, I would never say all keyboardists should stand or all keyboardists should sit. There is room for both.

• Members

Well, this band is mostly country with a sprinkling of classic rock and blues. Except for the newer country tunes I hadn't heard it's same old, same old kinda stuff. Certainly won't be any grand pianos but piano is mostly what I'll be playing. Although I'll slip in some of my Floyd Kramer and Jerry Lee Lewis licks on a couple occasions at no point will I be the center of attention. Heck I'm just a fill-in guy, not an actual member of this band, just doing them a favor.

Good point about genre. I sat in on keyboards for an "old country" band back in 2006 (cowboy hat, Telecaster, steel guitar). My friend told me not to even bother singing, just set up the keyboard and play piano lines. I decided to try to channel Floyd Cramer all night. I just sat on my keyboard bench, tickled the plastic 'ivories' and didn't sing a note. It was fun. It would have looked weird to be standing up playing this sort of music.

• Members

As do I. I work my sustain pedal all night long.

Sorry, I just don't get it. Don't get me wrong---it's your choice: sit if you want to sit.
I don't really care
. I'm just not buying the excuse that anyone
needs
to sit so they can work a sustain pedal.

You sure are trying to make a big deal about it for someone that doesnt care.

• Members
I've never seen a stand up player use a sustain pedal they way I was taught, so I'll have to take your word for it.

There's probably 1,000 things I do, playing wise and singing wise and all sorts of other stuff, that vary from how I was taught decades ago. You adapt. You change. You compromise. That's what creating music and entertainment is supposed to be about. If we only did everything exactly like how it was done 50 years ago, how would we ever progress? :idk:

I've also never seen the volume/expression pedal used by a stand up player the way Mike Finnegan used it on Rainy Day w/ Hendrix. Listen to the very beginning.

Not a song that's ever been in my songlist. But I've also never considered playing something exactly the way somebody else did important, either. So I imagine if I ever found a need to play that song, I could probably figure out a way to make it work for me.

• Members

No, I've never played fully-weighted keys in a rock band situation. Right now I play two boards on a tiered Ultimate support stand. I use to pile 3 of them on one of those stands years ago. At one point I was working 5 boards in a "V" shape--3 on one stand, two on another. But that was back in the big-hair rock band days.

But I'm still not getting how standing makes a difference. As long as the keyboard is at the proper height, I don't see how either standing or sitting would affect your wrists.

But again, I'm not being judgemental. If it works for you, do it.

• Members

Yet nobody really offers that same leeway for guitarists or bassists. Not in rock bands, anyway. Why is that?

Perhaps because the instruments are smaller, portable and worn around the body with a strap? :idk: Most people expect that a guitarist or bass guitarist would be moving around due to the portability factor. Violinists and flautists sit in an orchestra, but in a live rock band setting, they are usually standing (and sometimes dancing). In contrast, a keyboard (not counting the keytar) is usually a stationary item, as are drums, steel guitars, etc.

Have you ever seen a steel guitarist stand up? It's possible. Unusual, but possible. But for a guitarist or bassist to sit in a rock band...it does look a bit odd. That is something I considered for the idea of having my wife in my band. She HAS to sit down (medical condition with her leg) and I'm sure most people would be puzzled or even annoyed by it. I know I was annoyed by seeing a young man in a four-piece rock band sitting down as he played guitar back on New Year's Eve 1991/1992. I wondered if he had some sort of injury, but since he seemed alert, I then mused that he must just be lazy. Maybe he was just fine, but wanted to sit down for some reason.

However, I don't think of steel guitarists, keyboardists and drummers as lazy if they sit, nor do I think a conga player HAS to stand or HAS to sit. They can do either one.

It's just what is most commonly seen I guess. Hell, your female lead singer could sit all night without playing anything. But that would be pretty odd now, wouldn't it?

• Members

No, I've never played fully-weighted keys in a rock band situation. Right now I play two boards on a tiered Ultimate support stand. I use to pile 3 of them on one of those stands years ago. At one point I was working 5 boards in a "V" shape--3 on one stand, two on another. But that was back in the big-hair rock band days.

But I'm still not getting how standing makes a difference. As long as the keyboard is at the proper height, I don't see how either standing or sitting would affect your wrists.

But again, I'm not being judgemental. If it works for you, do it.

It may be that you are not putting in enough hours in a short time period to ever suffer any side effects. Cooter has, I know i really trashed out a rotator cuff with a board that was too low. Its also a fact that with multiple boards they cant all be at the perfect position. You also spend some time every gig on guitar so you get a break from the keys. One thing for sure ,, if you ever do push youself across the line from bad ergonomics with keys ,, you will know it. I can see the visual in a club band being important , but I also know a guy down here that play a rig like yours that does it 7 nights a week that was in pretty sad shape from it a little over a year or so ago. The guy was on pain meds to play. He was not sure if he could continue playing. He seems to have worked things out ,, but last time I saw him he was sitting down , but on a higher bench to give a better visual. It may well be an age thing too. Pretty well all the heavy hitter keyboard players from my youth were all sit down players, because combo organs were not near as good as the real deals. Today you have alot more options.

• Members

Just my 2 cents on the sitting/standing discussion:
for me there is no discussion - when I play keys I sit - period. Ever from my first pianolesson (47 years ago) my pianotutor taught me how important it is to maintain the correct posture when playing the piano. Since a keyboard isn't anything different I set it up so my posture is exactly like playing a piano. just some weeks ago I was off work for 2 weeks and I set up my keyboard set-up in my livingroom (connected to a mixer, listening w/headphones - I'm divorced so no-ones' nagging me . .) and I played 10 consecutive days for at least 7 hours a day without any problem - now that's only possible when A) your technique is upto standard and B) your posture is OK. My keyboard set-up consists of a Roland synthesizer (mostly for piano and brass), Yamaha Module (mostly strings and brass) and a hammond Module, everything midi-connected. Roland is set to mono, but the other 2 are stereo. To control everything I have 3 volumepedals (for each keyboard/module), an on/off swith for the leslie of the hammond Module and and sustainpedal for the Roland (when playing piano parts) - believe me - you don't want try using this set up while standing. Besides that I'm also the soundman (doing sound from stage) and I do 35% of the leadvocals and a lot of backing vocals. Lazy?? - don't think so as I also set up the PA and do the soundcheck - we're weekend-warriors only. Saw enough Live concerts on DVD to know that most of the keyboardplayers are sitting and this doesn't have enything to do with rock or R&R - even the keysplayer of Status Quo isn't standing. Ofcourse everybody's free to feel and do it you own way - I have no problems with that - for me there's just no discussion and my band is OK with that. My keys/modules are on a double x-tier and that can be adjusted as needed. Just because my keys are more needed in the band I don't get to play guitar very much in the band - would I have to fill in I'd surely play guitar standing though.

Greetz
Will

• Members
Perhaps because the instruments are smaller, portable and worn around the body with a strap?
:idk:
Most people expect that a guitarist or bass guitarist would be moving around due to the portability factor. Violinists and flautists sit in an orchestra, but in a live rock band setting, they are usually standing (and sometimes dancing). In contrast, a keyboard (not counting the keytar) is usually a stationary item, as are drums, steel guitars, etc.

Have you ever seen a steel guitarist stand up? It's possible. Unusual, but possible. But for a guitarist or bassist to sit in a rock band...it
does
look a bit odd. That is something I considered for the idea of having my wife in my band. She HAS to sit down (medical condition with her leg) and I'm sure most people would be puzzled or even annoyed by it. I know I was annoyed by seeing a young man in a four-piece rock band sitting down as he played guitar back on New Year's Eve 1991/1992. I wondered if he had some sort of injury, but since he seemed alert, I then mused that he must just be lazy. Maybe he was just fine, but wanted to sit down for some reason.

However, I don't think of steel guitarists, keyboardists and drummers as lazy if they sit, nor do I think a conga player HAS to stand or HAS to sit. They can do either one.

It's just what is most commonly seen I guess. Hell, your female lead singer could sit all night without playing anything. But that would be pretty odd now, wouldn't it?

Yeah, I know there's a larger degree of acceptance with a keyboard player sitting, and if somebody wants to sit, that's their choice. I'm just not really buying the reasons given, for the most part:

1) easier to play sitting down. True, but so is guitar.

2) causes pain in other regions of my body. Maybe, but again, look at guitar and bass. Wearing a heavy Les Paul strapped over one shoulder can be VERY wearing on certain muscles after 3 or 4 hours.

3) gotta work the pedals. Again, can you imagine a guitarist saying he needed to sit because he plays a wah-wah?

• Members

It may be that you are not putting in enough hours in a short time period to ever suffer any side effects. Cooter has, I know i really trashed out a rotator cuff with a board that was too low. Its also a fact that with multiple boards they cant all be at the perfect position. You also spend some time every gig on guitar so you get a break from the keys. One thing for sure ,, if you ever do push youself across the line from bad ergonomics with keys ,, you will know it. I can see the visual in a club band being important , but I also know a guy down here that play a rig like yours that does it 7 nights a week that was in pretty sad shape from it a little over a year or so ago. The guy was on pain meds to play. He was not sure if he could continue playing. He seems to have worked things out ,, but last time I saw him he was sitting down , but on a higher bench to give a better visual. It may well be an age thing too. Pretty well all the heavy hitter keyboard players from my youth were all sit down players, because combo organs were not near as good as the real deals. Today you have alot more options.

I've been playing multiple sets a night for years and years and years. And many gigs where I haven't played guitar at all. Don't try to tell me I haven't put in the hours. And yeah, with multiple boards they can't all be in the perfect position. So if anything, I should be the guy here complaining about aches and pains, not the guys who play one board that they could raise or lower to the perfect height.

Yeah, the older guys come from a different era where sitting is what was done. At the same time, wasn't it Jerry Lee who invented the idea that keyboard players could rock out? But Cooter and the OP are probably younger than I am and come from the era where keyboard players stood up and participated in the performance. So it isn't all about age here, I don't think.

I"m sure there will come a time when I feel too old to stand up and play anymore. At which point, I'll probably stop playing rock n roll as well.

• Members

for me there is no discussion - when I play keys I sit - period. Ever from my first pianolesson (47 years ago) my pianotutor taught me how important it is to maintain the correct posture when playing the piano. Since a keyboard isn't anything different I set it up so my posture is exactly like playing a piano.

And when I took my first guitar lesson, I was taught that the proper posture was to sit with one leg crossed. So what? What's that have to do with rock and roll?

just some weeks ago I was off work for 2 weeks and I set up my keyboard set-up in my livingroom (connected to a mixer, listening w/headphones - I'm divorced so no-ones' nagging me . .) and I played 10 consecutive days for at least 7 hours a day without any problem - now that's only possible when A) your technique is upto standard and B) your posture is OK.

Practicing at home is different situation. I sit on a stool when I'm at home playing. I imagine most guitarists playing at home sit as well. We're talking about being on stage.

My keyboard set-up consists of a Roland synthesizer (mostly for piano and brass), Yamaha Module (mostly strings and brass) and a hammond Module, everything midi-connected. Roland is set to mono, but the other 2 are stereo. To control everything I have 3 volumepedals (for each keyboard/module), an on/off swith for the leslie of the hammond Module and and sustainpedal for the Roland (when playing piano parts) - believe me - you don't want try using this set up while standing.

Sounds like a nice rig. I've got two keyboards on a single Ultimate support stand. A Motif 6 on top and a Roland A-37 controller on the bottom. Both midi into a rack contains a Proteus 2000 module, a EMU B-3 module and a Roland JV 1080 module. I've got volume and sustain pedals for each board, and a Ventilator leslie simulator that has a dual-foot switch I control. I also play some guitar, so I've got a midi foot pedal to control the Line6 module in the rack, and I run lights with a foot pedal board. I also run sound at the smaller gigs when we don't use a soundman. Still, I don't consider sitting down an option.

• Members

Yeah, I know there's a larger degree of acceptance with a keyboard player sitting, and if somebody wants to sit, that's their choice. I'm just not really buying the reasons given, for the most part:

1) easier to play sitting down. True, but so is guitar.

Which is why some guitarists have their guitar up so high against their chest (Tom Morello, anyone?). It may look dorky as hell, but they sure can play it a lot better than if it were hanging by their knees.

2) causes pain in other regions of my body. Maybe, but again, look at guitar and bass. Wearing a heavy Les Paul strapped over one shoulder can be VERY wearing on certain muscles after 3 or 4 hours.

Indeed. I still have problems with my left shoulder and collarbone from when I played bass guitar full-time back in 2005-2006. I really should have invested in a heavy-duty strap. And to be honest, there were times where it hurt so bad, I did have a stool behind me so that I could rest for a bit with the 5-string bass in my lap rather than pulling on my shoulder. It just looked less 'funny' because I had keyboards in front of me too.

3) gotta work the pedals. Again, can you imagine a guitarist saying he needed to sit because he plays a wah-wah?

That would be some wah pedal if the guitarist had to sit to make it work. Perhaps someone with very weak ankles. :lol:

This one is a head-scratcher, because the original Clyde Vox Wah was originally marketed to keyboardists...and (as you noted) back in the '60s, most keyboardists sat...so it wasn't ergonomically designed for sitting or standing, it was just made for a keyboardist to use. As an avid wah user (standing of course), I never felt too much pain from playing it while standing.

Again, I think it's just a personal comfort thing and some people fall into the patterns of what they see others do. Seeing somebody like Ricki Rockett from Poison stand as he played drums (although he probably wasn't the first drummer to do this) was certainly something different to look at and talk about. As more and more rock keyboardists preferred to stand instead of sit (guys like Rick Wakeman and Geoff Downes from Yes, Buggles and Asia), I think it became more acceptable for keyboardists to do either one.

I'm pretty sure that if you were a kid in the early '50s and started playing keyboards in bands during the rockin' '60s, you would have been a sitter.

The other reason was mentioned by Timkeys: you switch off on guitar and keys, something I can relate to. I usually had my keyboards elevated and stood while I played keyboards because it was easier while my guitar was strapped on at the same time. I used to enjoy watching Geddy Lee go between playing his bass guitar, Taurus pedals and keyboards and then run out of his keyboard 'fort' to rock out, so I guess I was inspired by that. The times I sat on keys were when I usually just played keys (no switching to guitar or bass guitar). So, that is probably a factor for you too.

• Members
Which is why some guitarists have their guitar up so high against their chest (Tom Morello, anyone?). It may look dorky as hell, but they sure can play it a lot better than if it were hanging by their knees.

Or Pat Metheny. When I played a Les Paul years ago, I used wear slung way low in Page/Perry style. Was harder to player and a bit uncomfortable on the left wrist, but I got a lot of chicks!

Indeed. I still have problems with my left shoulder and collarbone from when I played bass guitar full-time back in 2005-2006. I really should have invested in a heavy-duty strap. And to be honest, there were times where it hurt so bad, I did have a stool behind me so that I could rest for a bit with the 5-string bass in my lap rather than pulling on my shoulder. It just looked less 'funny' because I had keyboards in front of me too.

My bass player sometimes plays with a strap that is designed to put equal weight on both shoulder.

That would be some wah pedal if the guitarist had to sit to make it work. Perhaps someone with very weak ankles.
:lol:

Yeah, I don't really buy the pedal excuse at all. The idea you can't work a volume pedal or sustain pedal or expression pedal properly while standing is nonsense unless one just has really poor balance or something.

Again, I think it's just a personal comfort thing and some people fall into the patterns of what they see others do.

Definately a personal comfort thing, for sure. I just never thought performing in a rock band was supposed to be about "comfort first". You put on a show, you put it all out there, you give 100% percent, and then you sleep afterwards.

Seeing somebody like Ricki Rockett from Poison stand as he played drums (although he probably wasn't the first drummer to do this) was certainly something different to look at and talk about.

My drummer usually stands up and plays a few times a night. The crowd usually digs it.

I'm pretty sure that if you were a kid in the early '50s and started playing keyboards in bands during the rockin' '60s, you would have been a sitter.

Maybe, but I've always been interested in rocking out and putting on a show. I've just never considered sitting a reasonable option.

I remember joining a band in the early 80s and, even though I played a small acoustic Helpenstill Roadmaster piano, I always stood. The guy I was replacing played a Yamaha CP80, which were built for more sitting, and he sat behind it. The guys in the band asked me "what? you don't sit behind your piano?" My reply was "why would I want to do that?"

The other reason was mentioned by Timkeys: you switch off on guitar and keys, something I can relate to. I usually had my keyboards elevated and stood while I played keyboards because it was easier while my guitar was strapped on at the same time. I used to enjoy watching Geddy Lee go between playing his bass guitar, Taurus pedals and keyboards and then run out of his keyboard 'fort' to rock out, so I guess I was inspired by that. The times I sat on keys were when I usually just played keys (no switching to guitar or bass guitar). So, that is probably a factor for you too.

Maybe. But if I really was into sitting, I'm sure I could just as easily take my guitar off and on while sitting on a stool as I can standing up.

• Members

Yeah, I don't really buy the pedal excuse at all. The idea you can't work a volume pedal or sustain pedal or expression pedal properly while standing is nonsense unless one just has really poor balance or something.

Listen to "Run to You." I play the intro line which continues throughout the song. I play with both hands. The sustain pedal gets played two-three times per measure. The layered patch I use includes EP and guitar, but also organ which is kicked on with my other foot during the chorus, but can also be played during the verses. You can get some nice Leslie effects by holding the pedal down, then releasing, rather than as a click on/click off.

Are you trying to tell me that you stand on one leg most of the night?

There are things I'm doing - because they sound good to me - which if you tried standing up, you would fall over backwards. Yes, I know you'd find a workaround, just like you would for the Mike Finnegan comp, but it's not the same.

It all boils down to what compromises you're willing to make in order to present yourself visually in a way that you think enhances your band's entertainment value. I think Jerry Lee Lewis looks like a fool, frankly. . . . especially if you put him on stage with a couple other boogie piano players who can actually play.

• Members

Are you trying to tell me that you stand on one leg most of the night?

Well, I'm always moving. Because I've got so much to do with my feet as well as my hands, I suppose I spent most of my time putting weight on one foot while the other is working a pedal or stomping on a switch. I guess I'm putting my weight on my left foot most of the time and working pedals with the right but I work the lights with my left foot mostly, so I would switch for that. Frankly, I don't really think about it. I try to make it just all part of one seemless performance as much as possible just like you do when you're singing and playing. But the weight goes back and forth. What gets TIRING is standing in one place. Keep moving around is the best way to keep body parts and muscles from getting tired from things likes straps and weight-on-one-foot.

If I sat all night, my biggest concern would be my ass getting sore....

There are things I'm doing - because they sound good to me - which if you tried standing up, you would fall over backwards.

Bottom line, you gotta do what's right for you. It's all cool.

I just was a bit taken aback that someone would be concerned about wanting a "comfy" seat. Heck, even at rehearsal, I'm just sort of half-sitting on an equipment case. I think if I ever sat at a gig, I'd just drag along an old wooden stool or something. It's just never occurred to me that "comfy" was an issue on stage. I want my BED to be comfy, not my stage.

• Members

If I sat all night, my biggest concern would be my ass getting sore....

I just was a bit taken aback that someone would be concerned about wanting a "comfy" seat. Heck, even at rehearsal, I'm just sort of half-sitting on an equipment case. I think if I ever sat at a gig, I'd just drag along an old wooden stool or something. It's just never occurred to me that "comfy" was an issue on stage. I want my BED to be comfy, not my stage.

I'm not aware of any sore ass problems reported from any piano or organ players in any genre. Are you?

Why would you want to be uncomfortable? An equipment case? Please . . . . .

The motorcycle saddle - any kind of drum throne - is designed for a splayed leg position. A piano/organ bench anticipates both legs facing forward. The square shaped sear that was linked seems too narrow to give you stable support.

The idea of a seat, or any posture, really, is to not be a distraction. Concentrate on what is important . . . to you.

• Members

I'm not aware of any sore ass problems reported from any piano or organ players in any genre. Are you?

Just from me. I'm a skinny guy with no ass. I get sore if I sit too long.

Why would you want to be uncomfortable? An equipment case? Please . . . . .

It's just freakin' rehearsal. We set up in a small room in a circle and work out songs for a couple of hours. If I start to get sore that must mean it's my turn to go get everyone a beer. What? I"m gonna drag a La-Z-Boy around with me so I can take a nap between songs?

Concentrate on what is important . . . to you.

I think you know what's important to me--being the best performer I can be and putting out 100% so the band can be the best it can be. Maybe if I was a better player, simply sitting and playing would be enough. Then again, I just have a different pedigree I think. Like others have said--part of it is probably just the era I grew up in. The best keyboard player I ever worked with was this MONSTER player back in the very early 80s in a band I played guitar in. He worked a Rhodes, a couple of synths and played left-hand bass. Did it all while standing and singing and worked hard at being a showman as well. Classically-trained pianist who was simply a monster player. (Has since gone on to be the primary architect behind the sound recordings for the Guitar Hero games, but that's another story...) Having played with somebody like that early in my career, how could I ever let myself settle for (at least attempting) anything less?

Plus when there's pros out there like Wakeman, Downes, Dolby and Jones who set the standard for being monster chops guys who also stand and put on a show, I simply just can't see myself saying "sorry, I can't get off my ass...I need to PLAY!"

Just isn't in my DNA.

• Members
Perhaps because the instruments are smaller, portable and worn around the body with a strap?
:idk:
Most people expect that a guitarist or bass guitarist would be moving around due to the portability factor. Violinists and flautists sit in an orchestra, but in a live rock band setting, they are usually standing (and sometimes dancing). In contrast, a keyboard (not counting the keytar) is usually a stationary item, as are drums, steel guitars, etc.

I think this is an important point. When I was the frontman playing guitar and singing I was all over the place. With wireless units I was on the dance floor, back by the pool tables, around the bar and on the other side of the room. When it came time for a piano song I was stuck on the stage behind the keys. Due to the circumstances I was standing but I can't possibly see where it would have made any difference if I'd been sitting, I wasn't going anywhere.

The main keyboard I'll be using is a fully weighted 88, very piano like. The included sustain pedal was crap, of course, but yesterday a new M-Audio SP-2 arrived (I'll probably swap with the older one I have so the new one can stay at home). I'm certain I'll have better form, play better, and, given the genre, just appear more classy sitting down at the keys.

If I was playing in a Devo coverband, wearing a flower pot on my head, or was surrounded by a wall of modular synthesizers it would be a different story.

• Members

for me there is no discussion - when I play keys I sit - period. Ever from my first pianolesson (47 years ago) my pianotutor taught me how important it is to maintain the correct posture when playing the piano. Since a keyboard isn't anything different I set it up so my posture is exactly like playing a piano. just some weeks ago I was off work for 2 weeks and I set up my keyboard set-up in my livingroom (connected to a mixer, listening w/headphones - I'm divorced so no-ones' nagging me . .) and I played 10 consecutive days for at least 7 hours a day without any problem - now that's only possible when A) your technique is upto standard and B) your posture is OK. My keyboard set-up consists of a Roland synthesizer (mostly for piano and brass), Yamaha Module (mostly strings and brass) and a hammond Module, everything midi-connected. Roland is set to mono, but the other 2 are stereo. To control everything I have 3 volumepedals (for each keyboard/module), an on/off swith for the leslie of the hammond Module and and sustainpedal for the Roland (when playing piano parts) - believe me - you don't want try using this set up while standing. Besides that I'm also the soundman (doing sound from stage) and I do 35% of the leadvocals and a lot of backing vocals. Lazy?? - don't think so as I also set up the PA and do the soundcheck - we're weekend-warriors only. Saw enough Live concerts on DVD to know that most of the keyboardplayers are sitting and this doesn't have enything to do with rock or R&R - even the keysplayer of Status Quo isn't standing. Ofcourse everybody's free to feel and do it you own way - I have no problems with that - for me there's just no discussion and my band is OK with that. My keys/modules are on a double x-tier and that can be adjusted as needed. Just because my keys are more needed in the band I don't get to play guitar very much in the band - would I have to fill in I'd surely play guitar standing though.

Greetz

Will

Yeah, I am the soundman, as well. I am crippled, old, and fat, so I am never going to present an attractive image.

Whatever it takes to help me play well, is what I am going to do.

• Members

Plus when there's pros out there like Wakeman, Downes, Dolby and Jones who set the standard for being monster chops guys who also stand and put on a show, I simply just can't see myself saying "sorry, I can't get off my ass...I need to PLAY!"

I suppose we could list all that outstanding "sitters" in one column and the outstanding "standers" in the other. . . .

You didn't exactly say this, but it seems like I have to be a monster player to justify sitting. Let's flip it. You have to be a monster showman in order to justify standing. That sounds better to me.

You also seem to have an age cutoff play date in mind. Eubie Blake would not have comprehended this. AFAIK, most of the guys who influenced me who are well into their sixties are still touring. Also all still sitting.

• Members

The square shaped seat that was linked seems too narrow to give you stable support.

That seat is about 16" deep and 24" wide. The bracing on it is very stout. Like I said I have had that same model for years, and I weigh about 275. It is very stable and rugged.

Archived