funding the arts

MartinC

• Members

If I recall correctly, what this was about was getting servers to pay income tax on their tips. I knew a waiter in LA in the 70's that worked part time at a real nice restaurant down there. He told me he made over 50K in tips a yr. and paid no tax on it. I'm not sure how much Reagan himself had to do with any IRS tax code changes, outside of lowering the tax rates on the most wealthy. I don't deny Reagan was a &*$% in some ways, especially to the working poor. IMO, he was a simpleton who listened to and believed the BS fed to him by his cabinet advisers. Without a doubt, Clinton ( whom I voted for btw ), was the smartest and craftiest Pres. we've had till Obama came along. Reagan and the Bushes were simply yes men to the guys pulling their strings.

Bartenders down here can make 80k. The servers do real good too if they are good, and it doesnt even have to be a high class joint to pull down good money.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Every public school I was in (we moved a lot when I was a kid), and every public school I've known people in (including my friends growing up, my neices, nephews, friends kids, etc.) that has a formal/active (and frankly, decent) music program has concert bands, orchestral bands, marching bands and jazz bands...

...and the opportunities to receive formal training and education on piano and/or guitar (to speak to your instruments of choice) in those types of programs are numerous. Certainly, there won't be 5 chairs of guitar or piano (or actual drumSET), but that doesn't diminsh the availability for learning those specific instruments via those kind of programs. I started playing kit on my own my sophomore year in HS; by junior year, I was in Jazz II playing kit for a dozen performances a year. We had a DX7 running in Jazz band and in the sideline pit for Marching band...hell, my marching band put together a Peavey stack/car battery on a dolly rig and we fielded a freaking bass guitar, half-time shows, parades and all for the time I was there at least.

Wow, take a day off and look at what I missed :D

I taught for three years in a fairly wealthy public school district in New Jersey. Attended public schools in Delaware my whole life. Played in the symphonic band, the marching band and the Jazz band. (Percussion in symphonic and marching, guitar in jazz) And now I'm really involved with schools down here (president of my son's school board, so I get out to see what other schools are doing a lot). I have NEVER seen an opportunity for a child to learn anything but traditional "band" instruments. Some schools may have a "Jazz" band, but the pianist, guitarist and bassist all get no instrument instruction free via the public school. If they want lessons, their parents need to shell out the cash to get them. Many schools bring in teachers to teach piano, but it's at a cost to the parents.

In what way is that a gross mischaracterization and/or insulting??

EDIT: I do agree, BTW, that learning any instrument is beneficial. My point is how selective the process for deciding what gets funded is.

• Members

Wow, take a day off and look at what I missed
:D

I taught for three years in a fairly wealthy public school district in New Jersey. Attended public schools in Delaware my whole life. Played in the symphonic band, the marching band and the Jazz band. (Percussion in symphonic and marching, guitar in jazz) And now I'm really involved with schools down here (president of my son's school board, so I get out to see what other schools are doing a lot). I have NEVER seen an opportunity for a child to learn anything but traditional "band" instruments. Some schools may have a "Jazz" band, but the pianist, guitarist and bassist all get no instrument instruction free via the public school. If they want lessons, their parents need to shell out the cash to get them. Many schools bring in teachers to teach piano, but it's at a cost to the parents.

In what way is that a gross mischaracterization and/or insulting??

In what way?

You just said YOU played guitar (certainly a non-traditional band instrument if ever there was one) in a school band yourself...so to start off, you're contradicting the entire point you were trying to make in the first place...or ignoring facts just so you can say what you did. Or are you trying to get me to believe that the experience went like this:

TB: "Hey Mr. Band Instructor. I have a guitar and I want to play with the Jazz band"

MBI: "Ok, son. Just take a seat in the corner, play everything correctly and don't bother me for the next 4 years."

(4 years pass with no interaction between TB and Mr. Band Instructor)

/scene

As to there not being formal training for pianist, guitarists, bassists, etc. in programs you're familiar with...well that speaks to those programs and your experience only.

My experience is otherwise...but still, your point was that there's no training for non-traditional school band instruments in those settings, and it's just a patently false thing to say.

• Members

EDIT: I do agree, BTW, that learning any instrument is beneficial. My point is how selective the process for deciding what gets funded is.

It gets funded because without that funding, many schools wouldn't have bands at all. It's not like there are kids lined up around the block to play euphonium, slide trombone or french horn, right?

IMO, the funding SHOULD go towards programs that aren't "popular". They need it. I do agree that piano would be an excellent instrument to incorporate into the process. Some schools do that: the high school my g/f's kids went to most certainly incorporated piano. But it was more in the context of Solfegge and singing exercises - it would be played by the choir director or an assistant.

BTW, that choir program is nationally ranked and receives 100% of its funding from private donations.

I DO think that public funding of orchestras should be questioned and scrutinized. Where possible, they should be self-sufficient. I'm not advocating an "open checkbook" at all.

Archived