What solo or song did you learn?

badhabit

• Members

Alright. You're young and just getting to start sounding decent on your instrument. Most of us had older, popular musicians we looked up to and aspired to be able to play like them. What was your most memorable solos or songs you learned , note for note, by one of your musical "heroes" when starting out. I'll list two:

1) The opening solo and the middle solo Mike Bloomfield played on "Killing Floor" for The Electric Flag's "A Long Time Comin'" album.

[video=youtube;Tq3NwCHm-4U]

2) "All Your Love" by John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers with EC.

[video=youtube;rUUEtCBhn_Q]

• Members

I was between 8th and 9th grade and the movie "Rollerball" was on HBO all the time, and it had Bach's Toccatta and Fugue in Dm as the theme. I bought a record by E Power Biggs and spent the entire summer learning the song, page by page, bar by bar. It's not a transcribed rock solo or song, but I definitely used the record to help me along with the music.

[video=youtube;GVu0auaZu7s]

I can't remember really learning anything else note for note, except maybe "Come Sail Away" by Styx, around 9th/10th grade.

• Members

My first piano recital . . . a piano transcription of the chorus of "Stout Hearted Men" by Sigmund Romberg. Fourth grade.

Later on, there were a few rock songs that had piano parts that weren't buried in the mix, but they didn't sound right on a Farfisa organ. I suppose "Light My Fire" qualifies. "Green Onions" never did sound right on anything other than a Hammond.

• Members

My first note for note solo was the Dickey Betts solo on the breakdown section of "You Don't Love Me" on the Live at the Fillmore album. Next was Clapton's "Crossroads"; learned it on a stereo with the speed turned down to 16. And then I learned all the solos for Hotel California. Weird, too, I can still play all of them pretty much.

• Members

My first note for note solo was the Dickey Betts solo on the breakdown section of "You Don't Love Me" on the
Live at the Fillmore
album. Next was Clapton's "Crossroads"; learned it on a stereo with the speed turned down to 16. And then I learned all the solos for Hotel California. Weird, too, I can still play all of them pretty much.

I have forgotten so much it's painful. :facepalm: These days if I do not play something every friggen day it will be gone within a week.

• Members

I remember as clear as day, sitting in my bedroom in high school with my Japanese LP copy (probably worth a ton today) when I realized that if I tuned my E to the E on Led Zeppelin I that I could play along to the record, and that I could practice soloing using the blues scale on the 12th fret to any one of those songs.

The first note-for-note solo that I tried to learn was Stairway to Heaven, and I still remember it today (although I've picked up a few things since I was 13).

• Members

My first note for note solo was the Dickey Betts solo on the breakdown section of "You Don't Love Me" on the
Live at the Fillmore
album.

That's one of the solos I first learned as well. I don't think I ever got the whole thing down though. If I wanted to play it today I'd have to relearn it.

The other solo I learned first starting out was Clapton's "Tribute To Elmore". I thought I had really done something important. :p

[video=youtube;qc7WG4CrDOQ]

• Members

I have forgotten so much it's painful.
:facepalm:
These days if I do not play something every friggen day it will be gone within a week.

I'm the same way. I'm a "use it or lose it" guy. But I can normally re-learn a song by sitting down and playing around with it for a few minutes.

On the other hand I have a friend that remembers note for note every song he's ever played since the mid 70s. Seriously, you can pull out the most obscure thing he hasn't played since high school and he'll play it for you without stumbling. I figure that's just a gift I wasn't given.

• Members

I'm the same way. I'm a "use it or lose it" guy. But I can normally re-learn a song by sitting down and playing around with it for a few minutes.

On the other hand I have a friend that remembers note for note every song he's ever played since the mid 70s. Seriously, you can pull out the most obscure thing he hasn't played since high school and he'll play it for you without stumbling. I figure that's just a gift I wasn't given.

GAH, that frustrates me to no end. I know exactly what you mean, somewhere along the line I must have killed the cells that retain things like that for more than 48 hours :D

I have even had to relearn my OWN creations. Seriously.

• Members

GAH, that frustrates me to no end. I know exactly what you mean, somewhere along the line I must have killed the cells that retain things like that for more than 48 hours
:D

I have even had to relearn my OWN creations. Seriously.

Lol. I have another novice guitarist friend that I used to jam with. He'd say, "Hey, let's play that original song of yours". I'd be messing around trying to remember the riffs and he starts showing me how it went. He did this even on some originals that he'd only heard once.

Fortunately when the necessity arises in a live situation, if I don't think about it, I can usually pull things out of my subconscious and pull off the song. If I think about it all bets are off.

• Members

I suppose I can go back to being 6 or 7 and learning the Beatles songs Penny Lane and Michelle but that was via sheet music and instruction from my piano teacher and not necessarily songs I was overly inspired about. Later in high school after I'd picked up guitar, learned barre chords and began to understand the neck a little I really got excited about learning Aerosmith and Ted Nugent songs. Probably a couple of the first I learned were Same Old Song And Dance and Hey Baby.

• Members

The solo for "Double crossing time" by Eric Clapton on the bluesbreakers album. The Sky is crying by SRV and Crazy train Solo and No More Tears solo. Those were the early ones where I thought "Hey maybe Im getting the hang of this guitar thing" 20 yrs later Im still trying to get the hang of this gutiar thing!

Archived