What solo or song did you learn?

badhabit

• Members
I have forgotten so much it's painful.
:facepalm:
These days if I do not play something every friggen day it will be gone within a week

THIS!! But....that applies mostly to "new" stuff I learn (might be an old song but new to me playing it).
Stuff I learned back in the 60s/70s I still remember amazing amounts of at least to where I could probably dust them off in a relatively short time. Stuff I learn now??? Not so much.

First solo? Probably Cream, "Sunshine of Your Love" (not exactly note for note; I wasn't that good especially back then; I was only about 13 yrs old) and The Doors, "Light My Fire". At least they are the first ones I remember sort of "nailing" ( in as much as a 13 yr. old novice can nail anything, LOL).

• Members

Wow.. I'm only 27, and I honestly can't remember what songs or artists made me want to get into music. Garth Brooks and the way he entertained people was a big part of it.

What's weird is that when I was younger, the first band I ever really got into was Tommy James and the Shondells. I saw a video a month or two ago of them performing a recent show.. and Tommy James was playing his guitar tuned to Alternate Open D, which is the tuning that I learned on and play on 95 percent of the time. It's CRAZY to me that TJ&S was the first band I really got into as a kid.. and then I coincidentally learned to play guitar the way Tommy James does without realizing it. That band is still good stuff too....

I guess that's the closest I've got...

• Members

I have forgotten so much it's painful.
:facepalm:
These days if I do not play something every friggen day it will be gone within a week.

Ha ha! I've been blessed with a good memory, I guess. Back when I was 21, I was in a lounge band with a female singer and had to learn the background vocals to "Midnight Train To Georgia". I can still do them!

Sometimes having a good memory is frustrating, because it's easy to assume everyone has it. My former duo partner has a terrible memory, and can't remember keys of capo positions on songs from one month to the next, even after 5 years. I used to get so pissed off when I'd start a song and hear "Wat! wait! WAIT! What key is this in?" And I'd say " G. Same key it's been in for 5 years! Get a notebook and write this {censored} down!" And of course he never would. That's the biggest reason he's a former duo partner!

Archived