Microsoft buys Skype for $8.5B. Will remote rehearsals become the norm?

• Members

Skype is a brilliant piece of technology that's had a wayward path as a business. (It's been bought and sold a few times, losing value along the way). But now that Microsoft bought it and is pouring resources into it, it will be here to stay.

Has anyone ever used Skype to rehearse? My duo partner and I do it all the time, because you can see each other and react to each other's cues. Whereas a cellphone is impossible (that whole "talking over each other" thing that didn't exist with land lines), videochat via Skype is amazing.

Is anyone else giving lessons, or rehearsing, or collaborating via Skype?

• Members

I sure hope they don't Microsoftize it. They are much better now but there was a time when they had a real anti-midas touch. Everything they got a hold of turned to {censored}. The running joke at the time was the only thing that Microsoft would produce that wouldn't suck would be a vacuum. I sure hope they don't kill Skype because it has tremendous potential.

• Members

Skype is very cool to be sure but it's always had issues for me. Crappy sound is at the top of the list and then there's choppy video and lag also. So far I've only used it to chat with far away family/friends and it's great for that. I used it succesfully to video chat on my older core 2 duo MBP but recently when I tried it with my new i5 MBP I was getting a terrible feedback and echo that I couldn't get rid of.

Like alot of other things, it will probably boil down to bandwidth issues. We need more dependable, and faster, networks to make it a reality.

• Members

I sure hope they don't kill Skype because it has tremendous potential.

Kill it? Not a chance at all.

Unless you mean to include "accidental death by misadventure" as a possible cause.

But not something MS will do willingly.

• Members

I took a lesson on Skype recently from a guy in the UK...it was cool, although there was latency, which is to be expected at such a distance. I can see where it would be a better experience at smaller distances, provided the bandwidth was sufficient on both ends. There are services for this too, like eJamming which looks interesting:

http://www.ejamming.com/learn-more/

Archived