Outdoor gig in 2 hours...

• Members

This weekends block party gig ended up being so hot and humid, we fried our monitor mix and had to play without it (that was rough). After sweating through 2 shirts while setting up we ended up playing in 95 degree weather with 100% humidity. There were small rain drops every so often, but not enough to cool us off or call off the gig.

EDIT: Someone from the crowd filmed this video of us:

[video=vimeo;26867577]http://www.vimeo.com/26867577

And yes we have all the no no's on this board: White guy with a strat, shorts and a music stand!

• Members

Wait, we're not allowed to have Strats now?

You tell me, I keep reading about "white guy with a strat" thing, I have no idea why. Mine is the EB music man guitar so i'm good, though i'm wearing shorts!

• Members

Mine is the EB music man guitar so i'm good, though i'm wearing shorts!

We did a luau-themed event on Saturday so beach-wear was the order of the day. Only the bass player showed up in shorts though. But he quickly changed into long white linen pants after our singer took a look at his legs and declared "uh-uh. you're not going out on stage with me with THOSE things..."

• Members

And yes we have all the no no's on this board: White guy with a strat, shorts and a music stand!

In this case, the shorts are A-OK!!!!

...Provided each of the three guys up front are capable of dunking over the drummer.

• Members

...Provided each of the three guys up front are capable of dunking over the drummer.

You like where they put us? I didn't even notice the hoop or even the garage door until I saw that video. I could totally dunk if I didn't have a guitar strapped on (and I used the kick drum for a boost)

• Members

101 here today. And here is our gig... award for one of the worst loadin's you could ever ask for...

What you can't see at this picture is how far the blue 'gang plank' (150ft in length). We have to break things out of large cases (no room on the boat) hike it up the plank, thru the happy hour crowd, to the far left corner of the boat. Fun times.

I can top that. At the Pinnicle Club, we needed to park at the loading dock, Lift our equipment up 4 ft, roll it down the corridor 1/2 a block, lower it on a 1/2 floor elevator, roll it another 1/4 block to the elevator, go up to the 30th floor, out through the kitchen to the ballroom. Added about 90 minutes to load in and load out. Hate that place.

• Members

I can top that. At the Pinnicle Club, we needed to park at the loading dock, Lift our equipment up 4 ft, roll it down the corridor 1/2 a block, lower it on a 1/2 floor elevator, roll it another 1/4 block to the elevator, go up to the 30th floor, out through the kitchen to the ballroom. Added about 90 minutes to load in and load out. Hate that place.

That's bad, but I think I have the winner: I posted about this one a few months ago and it "won" the thread. Since we played it again this year, I'll submit it again for two-in-a-row:

We unload the trailer and carry the gear several feet to a loading dock. Then load all the gear into a tram. The tram then takes us and the gear for THIS ride (this pic was taken from the tram itself. You can see the loading dock down in the parking lot):

4267144.jpg?1

THEN we unload onto another loading dock, then move all the gear about 100 ft around the side of a buidling to ANOTHER loading dock, then load all the gear into a van and a pickup which is then driven down a hill to the venue.

Which, after unloading the pickup and fan at the venue, we then have to carry the gear down a narrow hallway, through a kitchen, across a dining room, and finally to where the band will set up.

We played this venue last year and vowed to never do it again. Of course, we got asked to play a wedding there again THIS year and, being that I hate to say no to a good-paying gig, we upped our fee by several-hundred dollars and hired 3 kids to do the heavy lifting for us.

• Members

Yes! Up the "old" tram on the California side, looking down the "gunbarrel" ski run.

Nice! My wife and I used to stay at that timeshare right at the bottom of that lift when we lived in CA. I know exactly where your wedding gig is. Nice location, but I don't envy your load in/out!

• Members

Nice! My wife and I used to stay at that timeshare right at the bottom of that lift when we lived in CA. I know exactly where your wedding gig is. Nice location, but I don't envy your load in/out!

Bartender tells me as we're setting up: "Oh hey, I remember you guys from last year!"

Me: "Oh that's cool if you remember us. You must do a lot of weddings."

Bartender: "yeah, we do, but we don't get too many full bands up here"....

:freak:

having 3 kids help do the lifting (and the resort employees were a big help too) made all the difference this year. Still, it's a crazy gig to take on. And even for those of up that live up here, singing way up at 8,000+ feet is a challenge! (And our singer lives down near sea-level.)

Archived