How does one go about finding a wedding band?

• Members

My friend who lives in Seattle is getting married in Oregon next summer and he's looking for a band. I'm not sure what his exact requirements are, but I was wondering if there are any resources that I could point him towards to get him started in his search. He's open for a variety of things but his first preference is a fun, upbeat bluegrass band. Any thoughts or suggestions? Where do you start for something like this?

• Members

I think it's pretty hard to beat Gigmasters as generic starting point for finding a band for an event in any given area. Sure there are lots that of great bands out there that aren't on Gigmasters - but those you've got to hunt down by word of mouth. You can start your search at your convenience via Gigmasters.

• Members

Simply googling "wedding band portland" (or whereever he is getting married) is going to direct you to most of the best websites and bands in that area. The Gigmasters link will certainly come up very close to the top. As will Wedding Wire and many of the other big sites.

The trick here is you say you want a bluegrass band. I'd also google for "Bluegrass band portland" and see what comes up. Whether the bluegrass bands in the area are adept at doing weddings---or if your friend even cares about their prior wedding experience if he wants a bluegrass band bad enough--is a different issue.

• Members

When looking for a truly pro band, you generally can't go wrong with contacting the Musician's Union local where you need the band. Sure there are non-union bands who might fill the bill, but if they wanted to be considered pros, they would go Union.

• Members

I think it's pretty hard to beat Gigmasters as generic starting point for finding a band for an event in any given area. Sure there are lots that of great bands out there that aren't on Gigmasters - but those you've got to hunt down by word of mouth. You can start your search at your convenience via Gigmasters.

Sorry, no, both wrong. Especially on the Union front...

You're going to want to visit these sites:

www.weddingwire.com

www.theknot.com

• Members

Sorry, no, both wrong. Especially on the Union front...

I agree with you about Unions. Disagree about Gigmasters. We book FAR more weddings through Gigmasters than through weddingwire or theKnot combined. And Gigmasters would be ESPECIALLY helpful for one looking for a specialty band such as bluegrass.

• Members

When looking for a truly pro band, you generally can't go wrong with contacting the Musician's Union local where you need the band. Sure there are non-union bands who might fill the bill, but if they wanted to be considered pros, they would go Union.

That really depend upon the geographical area and the genre of music. That statement here in Florida would be laughed at by many bands with pro shows booked constantly for weddings. I've played at some of the finest country clubs in Florida with no union affiliation.

• Members

That really depend upon the geographical area and the genre of music. That statement here in Florida would be laughed at by many bands with pro shows booked constantly for weddings. I've played at some of the finest country clubs in Florida with no union affiliation.

Yeah, there's no union influence down here either.

• Members

Simply googling "wedding band portland" (or whereever he is getting married) is going to direct you to most of the best websites and bands in that area. The Gigmasters link will certainly come up very close to the top. As will Wedding Wire and many of the other big sites.

The trick here is you say you want a bluegrass band. I'd also google for "Bluegrass band portland" and see what comes up. Whether the bluegrass bands in the area are adept at doing weddings---or if your friend even cares about their prior wedding experience if he wants a bluegrass band bad enough--is a different issue.

I pretty much agree with this. Also, ask the venue where you're having the event. They can usually give you a list. Then you can go on line and check them all out. Or, better yet, find out where they're playing and go hear them yourself.

Archived