Oh Lordy

Agitator

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wonder what the specific objections were. If I read the article right,

-> Benetar's contract prohibited some certain types of acts from being on the bill with her.

-> The promoters were aware of this, but thought the Devonshires were permissible.

So where is the grey area? Because they wear costumes? Because they're a cover band/tribute band/show band? Presumably these things were known.

It's all very bizarre and reminiscent of the riders you see at The Smoking Gun for insecure oldies acts and one-hit-wonders who don't want to be promoted as oldies acts or one-hit-wonders (e.g. the Beach Boys, Don McLean).

EDIT: This is the quote, from the Cincinnati paper:

"There was a disagreement over the interpretation of the contract's language concerning the type of band that was suitable for an opening act for Pat," Osler said.

I'm just curious what sort of grey area there is with a costume-wearing show band like this, and, for that matter, what sort of restrictions past-their-prime rockers put on their opening acts.

• Members

I would guess it had to do with the fact that the openers appear to rely heavily on schtick, costumes, etc., and from what I've seen, Benetar's performances for the past several years (at least) have been pretty pared-down, 'simple' productions...singer-songwriter w/band-type deals. I'm sure you've been on, or at least attended, multi-band bills where the style/vibe of the openers didn't jive with the headliners, right? Same deal here, I'm sure.

Sounds like it's up to interpretation, but the fact that there was language in the contract about it to begin with puts me on the side of Benetar & co if I had to pick: the promoter shouldn't have put a 'grey area' act on the bill in the first place.

• Members

Sounds like it's up to interpretation, but the fact that there was language in the contract about it to begin with puts me on the side of Benetar & co if I had to pick: the promoter shouldn't have put a 'grey area' act on the bill in the first place.

Well, I'm being kind of facetious, there by saying "grey area". There doesn't seem to be a lot of grey area or subtlety with this band. If PB & NG don't want a costumed show band to precede them, it should have been pretty simple to communicate that in such a way that even a simpleton would realize that THIS BAND is the sort of band that they want to avoid.

Rod, agree that the band comes out well in this situation. And props to the organizers for paying them in full + extra with no BS.

• Members

Kind of reminds me of some other threads that are active right now.

I saw Benetar last year. Good show but kind of boring and nothing special. Looks like The Devonshire's are an attention getting high energy group and the might make Benetar's stage presence even more laid back then it actually is... Their performance might trump her musicianship.

• Members

Kind of reminds me of some other threads that are active right now.

I saw Benetar last year. Good show but kind of boring and nothing special. Looks like The Devonshire's are an attention getting high energy group and the might make Benetar's stage presence even more laid back then it actually is... Their performance might trump her musicianship.

Yeah, the Devonshires look great! That'd be a band I'd like to see.

• Members

A resourceful friend of mine discovered that you can see Giraldo & Benatar's rider (dated June 3, 2011) online, by using Google's cache/preview function (it's on the WMA.com site). There's nothing specific about opening acts, and just some boilerplate language about "complete creative control over every aspect of production". Sounds like Benatar & co just decided they didn't want to be upstaged by this act at the last minute and pulled a diva act.

• Members

I don't know about 'diva'...

Again, they can be a PHENOMENAL show, but I'm not so sure most of us here would want the circus as an opening act if we were in the same situation. I know I wouldn't. Save the schtick for 'schtick-friendly' lineups.

• Members

Again, they can be a PHENOMENAL show, but I'm not so sure most of us here would want the circus as an opening act if we were in the same situation. I know I wouldn't. Save the schtick for 'schtick-friendly' lineups.

Tough luck. The gig is booked. Play it. Unless you have a specific "no schtick" clause in your rider, it's pretentious and presumptuous to pull that kind of rank.

• Members

eh.. I get it if their act has costume changes and "skits" etc... If I was a serious musician and my opener came out and did a 4 minute SNL skit.

• Members

eh.. I get it if their act has costume changes and "skits" etc... If I was a serious musician and my opener came out and did a 4 minute SNL skit.

If that's the worst opener you ever have to work with, you must be having a good career.

• Members

A resourceful friend of mine discovered that you can see Giraldo & Benatar's rider (dated June 3, 2011) online, by using Google's cache/preview function (it's on the WMA.com site). There's nothing specific about opening acts, and just some boilerplate language about "complete creative control over every aspect of production". Sounds like Benatar & co just decided they didn't want to be upstaged by this act at the last minute and pulled a diva act.

Every contract has specific riders attached to standard ones. For instance, I use a standard rider but then add things for outdoor shows, and have different requirements for acoustic shows than I do full band ones. Most acts do. I once opened for George Benson and it took his management team quite awhile to approve us because we were not a jazz band but a horn-driven blues band with a jazz/funk edge.

• Members

I can see where PB might feel threatened by The Devonshires. They've got a unique look, the musicianship is top notch, They have a great light show, they play songs people know, and most importantly, there are no music stands on stage.

• Members

Don't think they are threatened. It is her name at the top.

She is merely being responsible for insuring the congruity of the flow of the entertainment. If she is not doing 'big rock shows' anymore, and is not booked to do a 'big rock show', then she has the right to decline performing after a "campy classic rock review". Makes good business sense and ensures good flow for the audience. Which is partly her responsibility....no diva involved.

• Members

She is merely being responsible for insuring the congruity of the flow of the entertainment.

You know what, though? She's not responsible for the congruity of flow, or anything else. Taste of Blue Ash is responsible for putting on a show that their attendees will enjoy. It doesn't look like CCR or REO had any problem playing after tribute acts. If Benatar and Giraldo want 100% control over every aspect of the show, they should be booking their own tour into venues where they can control every aspect of the production. Then maybe they'd get a reality check about how many people actually care about Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo this century, as well.

If she is not doing 'big rock shows' anymore, and is not booked to do a 'big rock show', then she has the right to decline performing after a "campy classic rock review".

She shouldn't have taken the booking if she didn't want to appear on a multi-band show over which she doesn't have 100% control.

Makes good business sense and ensures good flow for the audience.

Makes good business sense? The Devonshires got booked to come back to the same fest next year. Do you think she will?

Which is partly her responsibility....no diva involved.

Her only responsibility is to show up on time and put on a professional show. The "flow" of the entertainment is the responsibility of the festival organizers.

• Members

You know what, though?
She's not responsible for the congruity of flow, or anything else.
Taste of Blue Ash is responsible for putting on a show that their attendees will enjoy. It doesn't look like CCR or REO had any problem playing after tribute acts. If Benatar and Giraldo want 100% control over every aspect of the show, they should be booking their own tour into venues where they can control every aspect of the production.
Then maybe they'd get a reality check about how many people actually care about Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo this century, as well.

It's not that Benetar is RESPONSIBLE for what you've said; it's that she's in a position of power where she is still able to make those calls if she wants.

I'm not necessarily a fan, but you seem to have a skewed perspective on this one and appear to be of the opinion that simply because she's past her prime and not topping charts, she's now basically a nobody and should be thanking her lucky stars to have any gig in the first place, much less one where she has to suffer the indignity of a clown act opening up for her.

To that I would say:

-Everybody in this thread knows who Benetar is, I'm pretty certain. Still a household name 25+ years after her prime time.

-Few, if any in this thread had heard of the openers before, nor will hear of them again, despite an apparently equally long life.

-And most importantly, in 2011, Pat Benetar is still represented by one of the largest agencies of all time; if she was a nobody, or at best, a true has-been, that would not be the case. Not even close.

• Members

It's not that Benetar is RESPONSIBLE for what you've said; it's that she's in a position of power where she is
still able
to make those calls if she wants.

Apparently she is, now. Let her pull this stunt a few more times and see what kind of reputation she gets.

I'm not necessarily a fan, but you seem to have a skewed perspective on this one and appear to be of the opinion that simply because she's past her prime and not topping charts, she's now basically a nobody and should be thanking her lucky stars to have any gig in the first place,

I never said she was a "nobody". I said that since she's past her prime and not topping charts, she should just show up and play the {censored}ing gig like a professional, instead of pulling the diva act.

The facts speak for themselves. If she had any significant draw, she wouldn't be playing state fairs and "A taste of..." festivals and whatever. She'd be playing clubs and theaters on her own, where she can call all the shots. At a show like this, even if you're following a "clown act", the professional thing to do is to play the gig and then address your concerns with the organizers after. Pulling rank to get another band kicked off the bill at the last minute is pure diva and shows (IMO) a level of insecurity that REO and CCR apparently don't suffer from.

much less one where she has to suffer the indignity of a clown act opening up for her.

Again I say, if this is the biggest professional indignity she's (almost) suffered in the last 25 years, she must be doing pretty well.

Also, would it kill Giraldo to tuck in his {censored}ing shirt? Maybe his stage presence will turn some of the HC crowd against him.

[video=youtube;9Qq2Bs_KJAc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qq2Bs_KJAc

• Members

Apparently she is, now.

Yes, and that's the sum of it all.

You can harp on Benetar's status now or in the future, or whatever, but I still bet money on the promoter being the one who dropped the ball on this. I've seen more than enough riders to know that a single page of boilerplate cached on the agency's website is not likely current, accurate or the entirety of a known artist's requirements.

• Members

You can harp on Benetar's status now or in the future, or whatever, but I still bet money on the promoter being the one who dropped the ball on this. I've seen more than enough riders to know that a single page of boilerplate cached on the agency's website is not likely current, accurate or the entirety of a known artist's requirements.

I'm not harping on her status. I'm harping on her behavior. Even if the promoter was 100% in the wrong, it still strikes me as extremely petty (to deny another band the chance to play) and pretentious (to imply that her show is so special -- or that her fans' sensibilities are so delicate -- that the experience of seeing Pat Benatar, onstage, singing Pat Benatar songs, will be completely ruined if the wrong sort of band precedes her). I'm sorry, but that's bull{censored} whether she's playing Madison Square Garden or a public toilet.

• Members

I'm not harping on her status. I'm harping on her behavior. Even if the promoter was 100% in the wrong, it still strikes me as extremely petty (to deny another band the chance to play) and pretentious (to imply that her show is so special -- or that her fans' sensibilities are so delicate -- that the experience of seeing Pat Benatar, onstage, singing Pat Benatar songs, will be completely ruined if the wrong sort of band precedes her). I'm sorry, but that's bull{censored} whether she's playing Madison Square Garden or a public toilet.

I don't know- I remember some pretty goofy show combinations. I remember seeing a rock band once open for John Mayall, and the crowd booed them mercilessly- Mayall was on his 'Turning Point' tour, where he toured with and acoustic guitar player, a bass player and himself. The opener cut their set short and the singer flipped everybody off. Another time, a band called the Raspberries back in the 70s got booed off stage after two songs because they were such a poor fit for the headliner. I think a name performer has a vested interest in how a show with their name headlining it is presented. If it's bad, no one is going to be leaving the auditorium saying "wow, that promoter for that concert sure sucked!" Nope, it's going to be either "that opening band wasn't great" or "I was disappointed in the Benatar concert." Maybe sucks, maybe unfair, but that's how it is.

Archived