Sunglasses on stage

Kramerguy

• Members

I'm a huge fan of The Cars, but I am pretty sure the reason critics called them "detached" and "aloof" onstage is because of Ric and Elliot Easton's tendency to wear sunglasses. If the crowd can't see your eyes looking at them, they might go see another band that has all of their eyes uncovered.

Personally, I see very few bands/artists that can pull it off and look cool without looking like an asshole. Tom Petty. Ric Ocasek. Lou Reed (well, the verdict is out on him lol).

And, of course, these guys:

http://spanglishbuffet.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/blues-brothers.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]338573[/ATTACH]

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm a huge fan of The Cars, but I am pretty sure the reason critics called them "detached" and "aloof" onstage is because of Ric and Elliot Easton's tendency to wear sunglasses. If the crowd can't see your eyes looking at them, they might go see another band that has all of their eyes uncovered.

Pretty sure it's more to do with the fact that the band really didn't/still doesn't move onstage. the sunglasses aren't helping, but if you just stand there like a tree, nothing much is going to...

• Members

"You know who wears sunglasses indoors? Blind people and assholes." - Larry David

Unless you've got a white cane in one hand or you're wearing them as a goof, NO. And I say this as someone who used to commit horrific violations of this rule as a teenager.

• Members

If the crowd can't see your eyes looking at them, they might go see another band that has all of their eyes uncovered.

Depends on the band. Some audiences like a band that looks aloof.* And some people look cool with sunglasses onstage, others don't. :idk:

* A friend of mine who is a guitarist in a somewhat famous band once told me: "I'm a very direct person. I like to look people in the eye and talk to them. And what I've found being in this band is... a lot of people don't like that." :lol: His band has the reputation of being dark and mysterious, and a lot of their fans are maybe the type who feels a little alienated and socially awkward, so I think to some extent they'd like to think the band was too, and are put off by someone being outgoing and friendly toward them. Never would have thought of that, but I've repeated this story to other people and they agree - certain kinds of bands, especially if they're goth or emo or "ambient" or whatever... they like the band to have a certain mystique about it.

• Members

About 2 months ago, I gave up the battle against male pattern baldness. So I shaved my head... Turns out, I have a symmetrical head. So with a goatee, I can pull off a bald head.

I will admit, I have given serious thought to wearing sunglasses. But I need to be comfortable playing with them. So every so often I practice blind folded. Once I can pull that off, the sunglasses will probably happen.

I just wonder what it will be like, up on stage wearing sunglasses, then taking them off for break.

• Members

I'm going to say with complete confidence and without apology we rock: s
horts, sunglasses, keytars, santa suits, blond wigs, headbands, viking hats, burger king masks, tranny pumps, cheerleader outfits....

When you're 'selling' good times to the masses there's really little that really makes you seem that pretentious.

Suddenly I want to see your show and I'm looking at the pictures on your website. Does your banner read "Dedicated to music AND underage drinking?" I can't see all of it but that's pretty cool, makes me laugh.

• Members

The thing with sunglasses on stage at night is that there is an extremely well defined line between looking cool and looking like a douche. You have to really be self aware enough to know which side of that line you fall. You're either "cool" or high or trying too hard to look like one or the other. Add frat boy spiked hair to that mix and we all know the answer even if you don't! :rolleyes:

:cool:

• Members

The thing with sunglasses on stage at night is that there is an extremely well defined line between looking cool and looking like a douche. You have to really be self aware enough to know which side of that line you fall. You're either "cool" or high or trying too hard to look like one or the other. Add frat boy spiked hair to that mix and we all know the answer even if you don't!
:rolleyes:
:cool:

This. Lawyer acquaintance of mine had a one off cover band and dude did every cliche in the book ... Spiked hair, shirt off, and sunglasses. It was hard to watch and most of the audience were his friends.

I love sunglasses, I like being sort of hidden from the outside world, but I'm not going to pull it off because I already have to think about it. If it was daytime I'd wear the {censored} out of my shades though.

• Members

"You know who wears sunglasses indoors? Blind people and assholes." - Larry David

Unless you've got a white cane in one hand or you're wearing them as a goof, NO. And I say this as someone who used to commit horrific violations of this rule as a teenager.

What about people with ridiculous sensitivity to light?

• Members

Outside facing the sun/Inside lights in my eyes - Yes

Dark stage, making it harder to see the fretboard - No

When Dealing with idiots musicians at the blues jams, sometimes wearing sunglasses is part of a overall strategy that includes being drunk, hiding behind the drummer, facing my amp, etc that helps me to ignore them and play in my own little world.

I think my next strategy is to go wireless, and play outside on the street, maybe in my car, so I don't have to be on stage with these morons.

• Members

Outside facing the sun/Inside lights in my eyes - Yes

Dark stage, making it harder to see the fretboard - No

When Dealing with idiots musicians at the blues jams, sometimes wearing sunglasses is part of a overall strategy that includes being drunk, hiding behind the drummer, facing my amp, etc that helps me to ignore them and play in my own little world.

I think my next strategy is to go wireless, and play outside on the street, maybe in my car, so I don't have to be on stage with these morons.

Listened to your clips.....i think maybe concentrating on learning how to play in time and learning when NOT to play - would be a better use of your time.

Learn your craft first - then you can think about what to wear and how to look.

• Members

ha, ha, ha! I couldn't remember where I had heard that... Although, not necessarily my opinion. It could help to prevent or hide stage fright. Only problem is I'd need prescription shades. I can't see well to begin with, then it's going to be really, really dark...:cool:

Iv

• Members

I'd say it all depends on the venue, type of music, geographic area/social scene, etc., etc.... No offense to those that do wear them but while there are obvious excpetions for things like old guy blues bands, ZZ Top cover bands, etc., for the most part I must say that in my own perosnal opinion that unless they're a major national act playing on a huge stage for tons of fans, every time I've seen musos wearing sunglasses on stage it just SCREAMS cheezy and like they're trying to be cool but are failing miserably and are actually making themselves look stupid, and I have a hard time even taking them seriously....

Archived