Sunglasses on stage

Kramerguy

• Members
Yeah, this is my post from before the HC changeover debacle... I'm all for it if you've chosen shades that fit your face/look/personality and don't act like a douche. You can find me in shades most days, even inside at the office. It's how I roll (in a non-douche kind of way)
You own that look, it looks great!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's funny.. I created this like 4 years ago haha.

I STILL have the same problem. I don't wear sunglasses on stage though, but I still look down at my hands enough to call it 'chronic'. I do it without thinking.. The only time I'm looking up is when I'm thinking about NOT looking down and actively forcing myself to look up (at the exit sign or whatever). I had originally thought about sunglasses (and posted here) after playing an outdoor show where it was super-sunny, we all wore sunglasses, and I felt more like I was an avatar - or hiding behind a mask.. "it's not me they are looking at, but the character I'm pretending to be". I felt so much less of the stage-fright "stress". So when I'm not wearing sunglasses, I basically feel like it's 'me', with nothing to hide behind.

Alcohol still works, but after a bad gig-drinking incident and additionally my sister drinking herself to death in the past year, I've backed off considerably, keeping it to a minimum, so this thread resurrection is timely.

• Members
I had originally thought about sunglasses (and posted here) after playing an outdoor show where it was super-sunny, we all wore sunglasses, and I felt more like I was an avatar - or hiding behind a mask.. "it's not me they are looking at, but the character I'm pretending to be". I felt so much less of the stage-fright "stress". So when I'm not wearing sunglasses, I basically feel like it's 'me', with nothing to hide behind.

Interesting point. And something I've never really specifically thought about until now.

I think I have, since when I first started performing, considering what I do on stage to be a character I play. An exaggeration of myself, at the very least. That's one reason I've always preferred to dress up for stage. It takes me away from being myself and being concerned with what anyone thinks of me. Once you put on those clothes or those sunglasses, now you're a character in a show. So obviously NOT the guy walking around on the street before or after in jeans and a t-shirt.

At least that's the impression I've always had, at least subconsciously. For some, dressing up to go on stage make them feel conspicuous and self-conscious. For me it's always been the other way around.

Odd thing, the human psyche can be sometimes.

• Members

I did try that approach, but being in a 'dad band' with a bunch of guys who insist on dressing in jeans and t-shirts.. well, you get the gist.

I pushed them as hard as I could to take it to the next level (dressing like a band, not a patron), even discussed it here and got some great ideas. Best I ever got was everyone agreeing to wear dark blue jeans and black shirts. Which lasted about 2 months. And that was 2 years ago or so.

When I was backing Valerie, I dressed more like a jazz musician, vest, button up shirt, and hipsterish, which is something I'm definitely NOT, but I did notice that it helped me play the role.

• Members

When I was backing Valerie, I dressed more like a jazz musician, vest, button up shirt, and hipsterish, which is something I'm definitely NOT, but I did notice that it helped me play the role.

Might just be me, but I find the "just be yourself" thing onstage only works if you're already really cool to begin with. Neil Young can get away with just being himself. Jake Shimabukuro or somebody like that can. People pay big bucks to see those people just be themselves. Me? I gotta play the role of the cool, talented musician when onstage....lol.

• Members

Might just be me, but I find the "just be yourself" thing onstage only works if you're already really cool to begin with. Neil Young can get away with just being himself. Jake Shimabukuro or somebody like that can. People pay big bucks to see those people just be themselves. Me? I gotta play the role of the cool, talented musician when onstage....lol.

LOL yeah, I think it's part of my issue with stress, I'm not cool. I'm a hybrid nerd IRL, so I struggle just to convince people I'm a party animal cool band guy. Alcohol seems to be the only thing that helps, and I mean that by both me and the 'fans' drinking. I'm getting too old to keep drinking like I'm 21, that's for sure.

Thinking about it, I don't think I've hit the stage sober in more than 3 years. That's really sad.

• Members

I drink on stage, but we are a party band, so it's the image we are selling. Off stage, I'm not much of a drinker at all. A 6 pack will last me a month easily. On stage I have a Coors Light and a glass of diet coke. I drink from each during the set. I don't drink between sets, I just keep it on the stage. I don't even pre-drink. I might have the odd shot with the band, but it's not like I'm drinking a six pack before we hit the stage. 0CF93129-51CE-43A7-8EF6-FE3D631752EF.jpg I've always been outgoing though, the badass growing up, in bands all my life so it comes fairly natural. I dunno.

• Members

I think I have, since when I first started performing, considering what I do on stage to be a character I play. An exaggeration of myself, at the very least. That's one reason I've always preferred to dress up for stage. It takes me away from being myself and being concerned with what anyone thinks of me. Once you put on those clothes or those sunglasses, now you're a character in a show. So obviously NOT the guy walking around on the street before or after in jeans and a t-shirt.

At least that's the impression I've always had, at least subconsciously. For some, dressing up to go on stage make them feel conspicuous and self-conscious. For me it's always been the other way around.

I have been wearing glasses (correctives, that is) for about 15 years. Coincidentally, that started about the time I began playing in bands again.

Still wearing similar "button-down" frames, but I'm due for another pair and I figure this time I'll channel my inner Ray Manzarek and go rimless . . . looks a little more rock n'roll.

Anyway, when I joined a dance/"party" band about six years ago I started embracing the "playing a character in the show" philosophy and I gradually kinda made the sunglasses thing part of the act.

On my lead vocal songs (both of them :) ) I came out from behind the rig and our front guy took over on keys, and for those I left the specs on the piano, because I felt goofy fronting the band looking like I had just stepped out of the office.

Then one night I decided to bring a black fedora and a pair of Wayfarers. I put them on when no one was looking as we broke into "Soul Man", and my Dan Aykroyd impression brought the house down. The band almost lost it on stage as well . . .

Next, I added a huge pair of white framed sunglasses to an Elton John number, and it took on a life of its own. Eventually audience (and band) members started handing me wild sunglasses to wear during "The Bitch Is Back", "Crocodile Rock", and "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting".

That band broke up a couple of years ago. After kicking around in a couple of projects that didn't pan out, I started playing with my current group four months ago and I'm starting to enjoy it again.

So last week they talk about picking up "Soul Man", "I'm Still Standing", and "Saturday Night" because the band has keys . . .

I didn't say anything. They have no idea what they are in for, LOL.

Anyway, that's my experience with glasses/sunglasses on stage. It is what you make of it. I made it part of the show.

As a mechanism to avoid eye contact and help combat stage fright, I have no problem with it.

Also, if you happen to be lyrically challenged and don't want to be seen constantly staring at a lyric sheet or chord chart (which I think is even more unprofessional), it is, again, a semi-acceptable crutch while you work to get over the problem.

But I'd have to say I think wearing sunglasses on a dimly lit stage for its own sake smacks of d-baggery.

Your mileage, of course, may vary . . .

• Members

On my lead vocal songs (both of them :) ) I came out from behind the rig and our front guy took over on keys, and for those I left the specs on the piano, because I felt goofy fronting the band looking like I had just stepped out of the office.

Then one night I decided to bring a black fedora and a pair of Wayfarers. I put them on when no one was looking as we broke into "Soul Man", and my Dan Aykroyd impression brought the house down. The band almost lost it on stage as well . . .

Next, I added a huge pair of white framed sunglasses to an Elton John number, and it took on a life of its own. Eventually audience (and band) members started handing me wild sunglasses to wear during "The Bitch Is Back", "Crocodile Rock", and "Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting".

Yeah, sometimes you just have to lean into it. When I sing "Love Shack" I usually put on a pair of silly New Wave sunglasses. I can always see people pointing up at me and laughing. Are they laughing with me or at me? Doesn't matter. It's a silly song anyway. It's just part of the fun and it gives them something else to look at and be entertained by. Which is the point.

But I'd have to say I think wearing sunglasses on a dimly lit stage for its own sake smacks of d-baggery.

Your mileage, of course, may vary . . .

Yeah, it's all in how the guy wearing the glasses pulls it off. But, just like with the examples above, people watching a band EXPECT a certain degree of over-the-top-ness and even d-baggery. It's part of the rock n roll persona. They give much more leeway for d-baggery on stage than for some dude just hanging out at the bar.

And musicians are usually the worst judges of this stuff. What we sense as d-baggery----especially from other musicians---the general public just thinks is rock-n-roll. If presented with the choice, I'm almost always going to recommend erring on the side of taking things too far rather than being cautious. Because what often feels to us like over-exaggeration is the point where people standing out in the crowd, 20-50 ft away from the stage, and not 100% focused on what you're doing up there anyway are just beginning to pay attention.

• Members

Yeah, sometimes you just have to lean into it. When I sing "Love Shack" I usually put on a pair of silly New Wave sunglasses. I can always see people pointing up at me and laughing. Are they laughing with me or at me? Doesn't matter. It's a silly song anyway. It's just part of the fun and it gives them something else to look at and be entertained by. Which is the point.

LOL!!! Exactly, David . . . and funny coincidence - "Love Shack" happened to be one of my two! I inherited it because I was the only guy in the band who could sell a passable Fred Schneider and remember all the lyrics. Yep, "lean into it" is right . . .

Yeah, it's all in how the guy wearing the glasses pulls it off. But, just like with the examples above, people watching a band EXPECT a certain degree of over-the-top-ness and even d-baggery. It's part of the rock n roll persona. . . .

And musicians are usually the worst judges of this stuff.

No argument there!

• Members

LOL!!! Exactly, David . . . and funny coincidence - "Love Shack" happened to be one of my two! I inherited it because I was the only guy in the band who could sell a passable Fred Schneider and remember all the lyrics. Yep, "lean into it" is right . . .

Yeah, the goofy glasses definitely help me to get in touch with my Inner Fred on that song. Definitely helps to be in character for that vocal!

Weird little song to sing, too. In addition to needing to cop as many of the vocal inflections that give the vocal its character as possible, there are a LOT of words to that song and no two verses are the same. Meaning they aren't interchangeable and once you fall off a lyric, there's really no getting back on the horse or faking your way through it. Or else you throw the female vocal parts completely off. It's one of those songs that's actually a lot harder to do 'right' than most people probably realize.

• Members

That used to be a Karaoke staple back in the day. Watching people try to get it right was always a riot. "Gang bang, on the floor baby!"

I love the idea of doing it with New Wave sunglasses. Why aren't there any New Wave tribute acts, anyhow? A Cars band would be fun as hell.

• Members

Weird little song to sing, too. In addition to needing to cop as many of the vocal inflections that give the vocal its character as possible, there are a LOT of words to that song and no two verses are the same. Meaning they aren't interchangeable and once you fall off a lyric, there's really no getting back on the horse or faking your way through it. Or else you throw the female vocal parts completely off. It's one of those songs that's actually a lot harder to do 'right' than most people probably realize.

Yeah, I've always maintained that it doesn't even matter if you can actually sing for "Love Shack". It's a song that begs to be ACTED, not sung.

Since I was one of those geeky kids who listened to his parents' recordings of Broadway musicals and could perform Rex Harrison's part in "My Fair Lady" and Robert Preston's in "The Music Man" by the time I was ten, "Love Shack" was right in my wheelhouse.

• Members
I like a beer or a glass of wine to loosen me up a bit before I go on stage. Then maybe I get another one during the break and take it up on stage with me and sip on it until the end. Any more than that am I'm going to be playing too sloppy.

We have a shot after we finish loading up the truck. Then we'll usually have a beer or something at the venue. After that, for me, that's usually it. I'll nurse it all night long or get one more at some point and nurse that. Whatever I'm nursing, I rarely ever finish it. So I always have a drink with me, but I'm not necessarily drinking.

• Members

Yeah, I've always maintained that it doesn't even matter if you can actually sing for "Love Shack". It's a song that begs to be ACTED, not sung.

Since I was one of those geeky kids who listened to his parents' recordings of Broadway musicals and could perform Rex Harrison's part in "My Fair Lady" and Robert Preston's in "The Music Man" by the time I was ten, "Love Shack" was right in my wheelhouse.

Yep, that's the key. I've seen a lot of clips of bands doing that song where the guy is just singing the part, whether by choice or because that's the best he can do, but it doesn't really work in that case. You gotta be willing to be over the top with that one!

• Members

We have a shot after we finish loading up the truck. Then we'll usually have a beer or something at the venue. After that, for me, that's usually it. I'll nurse it all night long or get one more at some point and nurse that. Whatever I'm nursing, I rarely ever finish it. So I always have a drink with me, but I'm not necessarily drinking.

I may occasionally have a beer after setup, or on the first break, but that's it. Just to be sociable, etc., and I'll nurse that before switching over to club soda or Diet Coke. I'm super-cautious about alcohol on gig nights.

For one, cops in my area are always looking to "write you a bill" late at night. I do have a stock line that always lightens them up at checkpoints. They'll ask me where I've been, and when I respond that I was at a gig, they invariably ask if I've been drinking, to which I say . . .

"Ha, guess you've never seen me play. I have a hard enough time telling the black keys from the white as it is!"

Also, as a Type 2 diabetic, I have to be careful. Once had a shot of Jack to go along with two beers on the break . . . next thing I knew I was back on stage and getting dizzy . . . I'd gone hypo, and the wife had to get me a glass of orange juice which I downed between songs.

Archived