where are the moms??

J.Paul

• Members

Can someone tell me HOW to rock out to 9 year old girls?

35733_1464368122156_1022094425_1384906_5

This was NOT in the Ace Frehley / Ted Nugent manual when I was 12 and I didn't sign up for this.....I'm not sure who is more scared of who in this picture

• Members

They are doing very bad things onstage at our show while your stuck entertaining their kids.

Sexy Ass Moms who go see Nuts in a Blender to blow off steam ;)

Just kidding... :D kids are our second favorite group to play for... no matter what you play they think your a God.... and if you stick it out long enough, those kids are buying you beers in 10-12 years. :D

Wild-Bills-4th-30.jpg

• Members

I like playing for kids. Not always... but it can be fun. It helps to be a dad and have some fresh perspective on their side of things.

Well... lets define 'kids'.

Between the ages 3 and 13... Yay!!!!

Between the age 13 and 23.... ugh!

There seems to be that 10 year era of angst in a young persons life when playing covers in any form seem have a repulsion effect. The truth is I've never felt cool or comfortable playing standard covers to high school or college students. Ever play a Sweet 16 party or a Bar Mitvah? The kids sit with their heads cocked and arms crossed while their parents are screaming out every lyric... even the new ones. . There's a sense of awkwardness, immaturity and self-protection.... perfect age for an original band to tap into. For a cover band it's like exposing a vampire to sunlight. College students would prefer to comment on how smart they are about music by naming every indie band they've ever heard of. It's amazing at how fast their tastes become generic as soon as they recieve that diploma and move back into their parents house. It's as if the 'cone of influence' ends at the gates of the campus.

• Members

I remember playing an outdoor gig at a school one time. It was some kind of "town day" event and most of the attendees seemed to be under the age of ten. These young ladies and gents showed their appreciation for our carefully-picked selection of classic rock covers by screaming "Play something normal!!" after every song. Good times.

• Moderators

Well... lets define 'kids'.

Between the ages 3 and 13... Yay!!!!

Between the age 13 and 23.... ugh!

:) :) :)

That's funny! Yeah, between 3 and 13. I have great memories of playing park concerts in the afternoon and the little ones either running anound to the music or in rock concert mode up front. Fun.

• Moderators

I remember playing an outdoor gig at a school one time. It was some kind of "town day" event and most of the attendees seemed to be under the age of ten. These young ladies and gents showed their appreciation for our carefully-picked selection of classic rock covers by screaming "Play something normal!!" after every song. Good times.

Little ungrateful BASTARDS!!! :) They failed to recognize your awesomeness? Bastards.

• Members

Last summer I played in a small town park gazebo with one of my cover bands. There were several young kids in attendance ranging in ages from 6 to 12. We invited several on stage(gazebo was large enough) and each were handed tambourines, congas, maracas and cowbells to play along with the band. It was great seeing the look on those kids' faces and all the fun they had.

• Members

College students would prefer to comment on how smart they are about music by naming every indie band they've ever heard of. It's amazing at how fast their tastes become generic as soon as they recieve that diploma and move back into their parents house. It's as if the 'cone of influence' ends at the gates of the campus.

Again, I'd say it's a matter of playing what the audience wants to hear vs. what they don't want to hear. You of all people should recognize that, because you're likely playing the most current music now. Are you willing to go through your entire next gig playing only music that is a generation or more removed from the 20-somethings in your audience? I'd bet not. You get mileage out of the older songs that they kind of recognize because you mix them liberally with more current fare, plain and simple. Do an entire set of music that came out around the same time as that Journey number, or that came out when YOU were high school/college age, however, and you'd see a drastic difference.

As for how some folks tastes change post-college as you described...that I can't speak to, as there was never a single moment that I considered the possibility of moving back into my parent's house once I hit the dorms my Freshman year...

• Members

but why would you think playing standard covers to teens & college students makes sense in the first place?

Generally speaking, they want to hear THEIR music, not mom & dad's 'old people' music.

That's not immaturity/awkwardness, etc.; that's them not liking what they hear, plain and simple.

...that's not been my experience

This whole business is an exercise in sociology. 18 months later (when these type of kids are going to frat parties) this band would rule (because seniors had been bringing the band in for years for parties)..... the kids would assimilate ~ same band, same songs ~ they thought were a great band then.

On the other hand, we played Natalie Holloway's high school prom and those kids loved it right off the bat...

• Moderators

There seems to be that 10 year era of angst in a young persons life when playing covers in any form seem have a repulsion effect. The truth is I've never felt cool or comfortable playing standard covers to high school or college students. Ever play a Sweet 16 party or a Bar Mitvah? The kids sit with their heads cocked and arms crossed while their parents are screaming out every lyric... even the new ones. . There's a sense of awkwardness, immaturity and self-protection.... perfect age for an original band to tap into. For a cover band it's like exposing a vampire to sunlight. College students would prefer to comment on how smart they are about music by naming every indie band they've ever heard of.

Wow dude. You sound like you feel like teens and 20-somethings owe it to you or something to have tastes that include standard cover band fare. And if they don't, it's because of "awkwardness, immaturity, and self protection"? Jeez.

• Members

Wow dude. You sound like you feel like teens and 20-somethings owe it to you or something to have tastes that include standard cover band fare. And if they don't, it's because of "awkwardness, immaturity, and self protection"? Jeez.

I just made an observation that teens and college students are finnicky. Maybe it has as much to do with the material being presented as it does conforming in social situations. I can relate easily to my own situation... in high school and college my friends rarely connected with covers being played... it was all about the 'discovery' of original music or artist and sharing that with your friends. Watching a cover band play covers bored me to death. However all my friends who celebrated bands like the Pixies' and The Smiths graduated college to began their office drone lives had no problems singing along to "Shook Me All Night Long" with their office mates after 4-5 beers.

There you go... not scientifically proven... just an educated guess. :thu:

• Members

I know part of the answer to this question lies in who is cutting the check to the band at the end of the event (likely mom and/or dad), but why would you think playing standard covers to teens & college students makes sense in the first place?

Generally speaking, they want to hear THEIR music, not mom & dad's 'old people' music.

That's not immaturity/awkwardness, etc.; that's them not liking what they hear, plain and simple.

Is the answer to bust out a bunch of Miley Cyrus/teeny-bopper/Disney music at the sweet 16 or bar/bat mitzvah? I don't know. My answer is to not play those kind of gigs, or at the very least, to not expect to go over well with the kids if I do...

Again, I'd say it's a matter of playing what the audience wants to hear vs. what they don't want to hear. You of all people should recognize that, because you're likely playing the most current music now. Are you willing to go through your entire next gig playing
only
music that is a generation or more removed from the 20-somethings in your audience? I'd bet not. You get mileage out of the older songs that they kind of recognize because you mix them liberally with more current fare, plain and simple. Do an entire set of music that came out around the same time as that Journey number, or that came out when YOU were high school/college age, however, and you'd see a drastic difference.

As for how some folks tastes change post-college as you described...that I can't speak to, as there was never a single moment that I considered the possibility of moving back into my parent's house once I hit the dorms my Freshman year...

Let's take away the comment... 'standard covers'... lets just say covers in general. When I refer to 'standard covers' I'm talking anything that's ever been Top 40 (including current). What I am not referring to are B-sides by indie artists that may invoke a response from some teens in the audience IF they have a connection with that artist.

It was really just an offhand comment based on experience of playing to these age groups.

• Members

I love playing for Tweens and younger. They're fun! I just have to sanitize the songs a bit. I'm always surprised at how frequently the slightly older kids enjoy what we do, too...it's weird.

Other bands I've been in teens gave us the stank eye most of the time, but for some reason the current band gets a pretty good reaction when teenagers are around - it might be because we play a lot of older songs that have been featured on "Glee". But I don't know how real that is - I just think we've just been fortunate to have played parties where the people who don't like us have somewhere else to go instead of giving us crap because we're not playing Young Jeezy.

Brian V.

• Members

Let's take away the comment... 'standard covers'... lets just say covers in general. When I refer to 'standard covers' I'm talking anything that's ever been Top 40 (including current). What I am not referring to are B-sides by indie artists that may invoke a response from some teens in the audience IF they have a connection with that artist.

It was really just an offhand comment based on experience of playing to these age groups.

Ok, clarification appreciated.

I haven't seen it that way IME: in fact, the last time I had teens in attendance when playing, they were yelling for us to play Bieber and/or Black-Eyed-Peas (younger teens and older ones, respectively). They didn't care about the fact that those would be covers for us.

They wanted THEIR music.

They didn't get it, of course, since we were playing for one of their dads at the neighborhood block party, and he was using the excuse to have a band for his wife's 40th birthday, which was also that weekend. He asked us to add a couple songs by INXS, which we gladly did. The adults were the real audience, and the adults had the checkbook...

• Members

However all my friends who celebrated bands like the Pixies' and The Smiths graduated college to began their office drone lives had no problems singing along to "Shook Me All Night Long" with their office mates after 4-5 beers.

I remember hearing AC/DC for the first time in high school. It was brand new and on the fringe..... but only for a short time.

• Members

I dont mind playing to the young kids at all. At a Christmas Party Gig we had, the entire 2nd set two girls were dancing in front of the stage, probably ages 10 and 4-5 or so. When the band took a break, the drummer started playing acoustic guitar and singing to keep the tunes going, and the young girl came over to me, as shy as you can imagine anyone being, staring at the ground and asked me to dance with her. Such a sweet girl/moment and I happily went and danced with her to a few songs. Highlight of the night for sure. And it probably endeared the band more-so with the crowd having seen that also, as they stuck around later than we expected them too and it may have been because of that. Certainly didnt hurt.

Archived