"Party Band" : What is it and what kind of songs do they play?

New Trail

• Members

We get the same question that every other band does: "What kind of music do you guys play?" My standard answer is "we're a Party band and we play Party music of all kinds. If it's a song that makes people get up and dance, we probably play it whether that's an old song, new hit, classic rock, disco or country."

• Members

IMO "Party Band" is more about attitude and less about song selection --

Grant's band is a party band, so is David's, so are we... I'm not sure if there's 5 songs all three bands do... So what do all three bands have in? An attitude of "we're here to facilitate fun for the audience" Nothing more and nothing less.

• Members

It's all style and presentation... you could take my band and match it with Tricky's, Guido's Jeffs and there is likely some cross over. But I'm sure there is also a fair amount that we don't have in common (artists maybe but different song selection). The one thing we do share alot in common is style and presentation. Hi energy presentation, heavy on crowd interaction and often big chunks of the setlist that is non stop music.

A dance nightclub that books alot of event/wedding type entertainment has recently booked us as their exclusive party band. We're hired to play mostly the same music (they only want pop and dance, no rock whatsoever) but target a much younger audience.

• Members

Would you guys mind to post your songlists if you get a chance? I'm thinking about the idea of maybe putting a party band together and I'm wondering if I even know musicians that can (1) pull it off technically, and (2) would even be willing to play the songs necessary to be a party band in the first place.

Thanks!

• Members

Would you guys mind to post your songlists if you get a chance? I'm thinking about the idea of maybe putting a party band together and I'm wondering if I even know musicians that can (1) pull it off technically, and (2) would even be willing to play the songs necessary to be a party band in the first place.

Thanks!

sure. this is a partial one I found on my work PC. I think this is part of what we used last week. I usually start writing them out on my work PC and when I get home finish em on my home PC. I don't think this was the final order either. yeah, I am in charge of sets... I hate it sometimes.

Small Things

Pumped Up Kicks

Animal

what I got

Lets go crazy

Don

• Members

sure. this is a partial one I found on my work PC. I think this is part of what we used last week. I usually start writing them out on my work PC and when I get home finish em on my home PC. I don't think this was the final order either. yeah, I am in charge of sets... I hate it sometimes.

Small Things

Pumped Up Kicks

Animal

what I got

Lets go crazy

Don

• Members

pretty much that's what I do. bullets notate a medley of 3 or more tunes. if its just 2 tunes medley or back to back I use a slash. Part of a finished set that I hand out to everyone would like this:

SET 1

Small Things/Pumped Up Kicks

Animal/what I got

Lets go crazy

Don

• Members

Thanks!

Here's a setlist from a recent gig:

SET 1

G I GOTTA FEELING

F#m BILLIE JEAN

E YOUR LOVE/JESSIE'S GIRL

C LOVE SHACK

F#m JENNY JENNY

Am BAD ROMANCE/TILL THE WORLD ENDS/BLOW

F HEARTBREAKER

C FORGET YOU

A I WANT YOU TO WANT ME

F START ME UP

E VENUS/DYNAMITE/CALIFORNIA GURLS/RELAX

G RAISE YOUR GLASS

A SWEET EMOTION

SET 2

G ANY WAY YOU WANT IT

C JUMP

F# BORN THIS WAY/EXPRESS YOURSELF/YOU SPIN ME ROUND

E HIT ME WITH YOUR BEST SHOT

Bb GONNA MAKE U SWEAT/GOOD VIBRATIONS

F#m PARIS/LADY MARMALADE

Bm REBEL YELL

E HEY SOUL SISTER

Em STAYIN' ALIVE/BRICK IN THE WALL

Em RAPPER'S DELIGHT/GOOD TIMES

A LOVIN

• Members

Thanks!

Do you mind me asking? When are you going to have the time to put together a 'party band'. I only ask because it seems like you are committed to a bunch of other projects (you recently posted about your original band). As I and others have said it's not just plowing through a setlist with a perma smile on your face. In fact the terrible band with poor execution are the ones that aren't committed toward any style or delivery, they are just mimic'ing other bands to get the work. Even though onstage it may look like we are hardly working there's alot of work, rehearsal and prep that goes into the presentation. We rehearse 2-3 times per month, not to rehearse songs but instead to work on song transitions, reorder medleys, work on harmonies... etc. It's really alot of work. An average night we're playing 65-80 songs all in 2 minute snippets that blend into each other. Other bands will mix mashups, medleys and other types of unique song presentations. Most bands I know that are successful doing this spend a great deal of time promoting and making every show an event.

I'm just making a point that the setlist is 20-30% of the ingredients. If you cover the setlist, then you're really just a cover band playing popular songs. And there are plenty of those bands in every market.

Here's a list of songs we've played over the last 5 years: Again most of the performances are parts of songs... if you want to hear a few recordings on how we present them PM me. ;)

Black Eyed Peas I Gotta Feeling

50 Cent In Da Club

AC/DC You Shook Me All Night Long

Adams, Bryan Summer Of '69

Adams, Bryan (Everything I Do) I Do It For You

Adele Rolling In The Deep

Aerosmith Walk This Way

A-Ha Take On Me

B-52's Love Shack

Beatles Twist And Shout

Beyonce Single Ladies (Put A Ring On It)

Big & Rich Save A Horse (Ride A Cowboy)

Black Eyed Peas Boom Boom Pow

Black Eyed Peas The Time (Dirty Bit)

Black Eyed Peas Let's Get It Started

Bon Jovi Livin' On A Prayer

Brooks, Garth Friends In Low Places

Buffett, Jimmy Margaritaville

Cheap Trick I Want You To Want Me

Clapton, Eric Wonderful Tonight

Coldplay Viva La Vida

Commodores Brick House

Cruz, Taio Dynamite

Cupid Cupid Shuffle

Cyrus, Miley Party In The U.S.A.

Def Leppard Pour Some Sugar On Me

Dexy's Midnight Runners Come On Eileen

Diamond, Neil Sweet Caroline (Good Times Never Seemed So Good)

Digital Underground The Humpty Dance

Dion Runaround Sue

Far East Movement Feat. The Cataracs & Dev Like A G6

Flo Rida Feat. David Guetta Club Can't Handle Me

Flo Rida Feat. Keisha Right Round

Flo Rida Feat. T-Pain Low

Foundations Build Me Up Buttercup

Gaye, Marvin Let's Get It On

Gaynor, Gloria I Will Survive

Green, Al Let's Stay Together

Green, Cee Lo Forget You

Guns N' Roses Sweet Child O' Mine

Hammer, M.C. U Can't Touch This

House Of Pain Jump Around

Idol, Billy White Wedding

Idol, Billy Mony Mony

Iglesias, Enrique Feat. Ludacris Tonight (I'm Lovin' You)

Iglesias, Enrique Feat. Pitbull I Like It

Isley Brothers Shout

Jackson, Michael Billie Jean

Jackson, Michael Thriller

Jackson, Michael Beat It

Jordan, Montell This Is How We Do It

Journey Don't Stop Believin'

Journey Faithfully

KC & The Sunshine Band Get Down Tonight

Ke$Ha Tik Tok

Ke$Ha Blow

Kid Rock All Summer Long

King, Ben E. Stand By Me

Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire

Kings Of Leon Use Somebody

Lady Gaga Poker Face

Lady Gaga Bad Romance

Lmfao Sexy And I Know It

Lmfao Feat. Lauren Bennett And Goon Rock Party Rock Anthem

Lmfao Feat. Lil Jon Shots

Loggins, Kenny Footloose

Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama

Maroon 5 Feat. Christina Aguilera Moves Like Jagger

Mars, Bruno Just The Way You Are

Medley, Bill & Jennifer Warnes (I've Had) The Time Of My Life

Morrison, Van Brown Eyed Girl

Mraz, Jason I'm Yours

Nelly Hot In Herre

Outkast Hey Ya!

Perry, Katy California Gurls

Perry, Katy Hot N Cold

Pink Raise Your Glass

Pink Get The Party Started

Pitbull Feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack & Nayer Give Me Everything

Presley, Elvis Can't Help Falling In Love

Prince Let's Get Crazy

Prince 1999

Rascal Flatts Life Is A Highway

Rednex Cotton Eye Joe

Rihanna Don't Stop The Music

Rihanna Only Girl (In The World)

Rihanna S&M

Romantics What I Like About You

Salt-N-Pepa Push It

Sir Mix-A-Lot Baby Got Back

Spears, Britney Womanizer

Springfield, Rick Jessie's Girl

Timberlake, Justin Sexyback

Train Hey Soul Sister

Travolta, John & Olivia Newton-John Grease Megamix

U2 Vertigo

Usher DJ Got Us Fallin' In Love

Usher Feat. Ludacris & Lil' Jon Yeah

Usher Feat. Will.I.Am Omg

Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby

Village People Y.M.C.A.

Violent Femmes Blister In The Sun

West, Kanye Feat. Jamie Foxx Gold Digger

Wild Cherry Play That Funky Music

Young M.C. Bust A Move

• Members

Even though onstage it may look like we are hardly working there's alot of work, rehearsal and prep that goes into the presentation.

Also ^^^^THIS. And it's usually one of these bands, while being very successful at what they are doing, that will get dismissed by other musicians because they play "Pour some Sugar On Me". :facepalm: As if just playing a popular song is the only thing going on up on stage.

• Members

Do you mind me asking? When are you going to have the time to put together a 'party band'. I only ask because it seems like you are committed to a bunch of other projects (you recently posted about your original band).....

Well, you're absolutely right! However, the originals band is more of a vanity project and is probably never going to gig anyway, so I may have time to pursue another project with more commercial possibilities.

BTW much thanks for the set lists. They are very enlightening!

Archived