thought this might amuse you

J.Paul

• Members

Just messaged this on Facebook :

Hiya,

I am subbing for xxxxx on Saturday 28th w/ someone named xxxx (you're the only xxxx on his page so I'm hoping it's with you....otherwise I'm at a dead end). I got a setlist a week or so ago but need to know the rest of the basics that it takes to do a gig:

where is it

what time is load-in soundcheck

what time is the the show

what are the keys

a contact name / number

also -an actual playlist of mp3s would be helpful to learn tunes that I don't know.

Feel free to reach me by cell or email

xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Paul

• Members

I had a dream recently where I was supposed to be subbing for George Lynch in Lynch Mob. Funny part was that I had no clue how most of the songs went and I only realized it until an hour before we were supposed to play. I was thinking "There is no way in hell I can cram all these songs right before I go onstage...maybe I can follow the bass player."

Then, when I realized the absurdity of filling-in for George Lynch in his own band, I woke up. I was very relieved. :lol:

• Members

I had a dream recently where I was supposed to be subbing for George Lynch in Lynch Mob. Funny part was that I had no clue how most of the songs went and I only realized it until an hour before we were supposed to play. I was thinking "There is no way in hell I can cram all these songs right before I go onstage...maybe I can follow the bass player."

Then, when I realized the absurdity of filling-in for George Lynch in his own band, I woke up. I was very relieved.
:lol:

HA

I love it

• Members

Then, when I realized the absurdity of filling-in for George Lynch in his own band, I woke up. I was very relieved.
:lol:

Well, depending on which bass player it was, you may have been in luck, seeing as how the original bass player wrote most of their songs.

• Members

Well, depending on which bass player it was, you may have been in luck, seeing as how the original bass player wrote most of their songs.

In the dream, I do believe Anthony Esposito was there. Never knew that before about him. Talented guy. Kinda like how Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics for Ozzy Osbourne all through the '80s and part of the '90s too.

• Members

I've decided to make a master template (or order form) for people I play with to fill out.

I know it sounds kind of dick-ish but I don't care, don't hire me if you don't like it~ there's been too much missing info for years and years.

Who's fault is that? Usually Mine.

If they don't have the required information I make the judgement call

• Members

:freak:

Heh, the point I was making: bass players writing stuff for the band and you wouldn't expect them to be the ones doing it. Due to the collaborative credits for Lynch Mob's first album (every band member is credited equally, like early Van Halen and Ramones), I had no idea Esposito was the one writing most of the songs.

• Members

Just messaged this on Facebook :

Hiya,

I am subbing for xxxxx on Saturday 28th w/ someone named xxxx (you're the only xxxx on his page so I'm hoping it's with you....otherwise I'm at a dead end). I got a setlist a week or so ago but need to know the rest of the basics that it takes to do a gig:

where is it

what time is load-in soundcheck

what time is the the show

what are the keys

a contact name / number

also -an actual playlist of mp3s would be helpful to learn tunes that I don't know.

Feel free to reach me by cell or email

xxxxxx

xxxxxx

Paul

Let me see if I have this straight. Someone hires you to fill-in then doesn't bother to tell you where the gig is or offer any other details or resources? Why would anyone even consider taking a gig when you don't even know where it's at?

• Members

Let me see if I have this straight. Someone hires you to fill-in then doesn't bother to tell you where the gig is or offer any other details or resources? Why would anyone even consider taking a gig when you don't even know where it's at?

Exactly

I'm sure he told me where it was (weeks ago) and it was probably while I was driving and on my cell- not very conducive to retaining all the info (talking , driving, writing, texting.....whatever).

I'd consider taking the gig w/out knowing where it was because he's my friend and needed my help, so I don't care where it is or what it pays (if it's not an out of town show).

I think my "order form" should help. In this case I would have just said "hey I'm driving, let me send a word document to you to fill out so I'll have all the info.

• Members

Exactly

I'm sure he told me where it was (weeks ago) and it was probably while I was driving and on my cell- not very conducive to retaining all the info (talking , driving, writing, texting.....whatever).

I'd consider taking the gig w/out knowing where it was because he's my friend and needed my help, so I don't care where it is or what it pays (if it's not an out of town show).

I think my "order form" should help. In this case I would have just said "hey I'm driving, let me send a word document to you to fill out so I'll have all the info.

Ahhh, ok, I get it!

• Members

Well there's really no way to do this without looking like a dick and will probably result in a loss of work, but I would rather weed out the ones that can't honor these requests and have less work than to constantly be at odds. (around here it's a constant scramble to fill a spot or sub a night or learn the set on an airplane to a gig or whatever and it never stops. The entire industry needs everything in a rush RIGHT NOW but rarely has support to facilitate).

Here's what I got so far....

I use this checklist so that I can learn new material efficiently and effectively. When I commit my schedule and talents to your date(s) I have found that time is best spent learning and rehearsing songs. Time is not best spent searching for the songs on the internet, guessing at your original lyrics, or wondering which part of the recorded arrangement is my responsibility.

what date is the show?

where is the show? (what is the venue called and what is the address)

NAME

ADDRESS

what time is load-in / soundcheck?

what time is the the show?

I'll need a contact name / number / email for whoever is authorized to make decisions (road manager, artist, musical director).

I'll need a contact name / number / email for whoever is issuing the payment (road manager, artist, musical director, accountant).

I'll need the setlist for THAT show with the the keys that you perform these songs in (a master songlist is unacceptable).

I'll need a playlist (via CD, email, http://yousendit.com, or hosted files on your domain) of mp3s of every song in that night

• Members

You gotta leave that part out or reword it, it's insulting and condesending.

Agree.

Even though that's not the intent, it will be taken that way.

Now if you want to use that as a litmus test to scare away potential clients who would otherwise likely be a colossal PITA to deal with, by all means leave it in.

Archived