'Load In' at 9pm. That's just two hours away... and

wheresgrant3

• Members

I don't feel like showering or shaving.

So this is what getting old feels like.
:D

I know what you mean. All of us are "middle-aged"(whatever that is) and did a rare out of town gig a couple of weeks ago. Left the house about 4:30 p.m., arrived a little early at the venue, set up, ate dinner, sound check at 7:15 p.m., played 9:20 p.m. - 1:00 a.m., and arrived home about 3:30 a.m. Life in a hobby/dad band.

• Moderators

I'm at that point too.

We played a show in S. Austin Thursday night. Original gig time was 9-11, but just as I had finished loading up and was about to begin the miserable drive down congested / constructed I35, I got the call that we'd been moved to a "10-ish" start due to the club's sudden decision to extend their comedy hour. Well, ok. I kicked back a little and left a little later.

When I got there, and hand carted my amps from 1/4 mile away or so (and up a steep hill, I might add) I found the bar completely empty except for the two bartenders. This was a little surprising as this particular venue is usually pretty busy, even on weekend nights.

Turns out the comedians' joke was on us. None of them showed up. So there was nothing happening on stage for a couple of hours, which, combined with overpriced drinks and a work night created the predictable result of an empty house. :facepalm:

So we were playing for our singer's roommate.

My favorite moment of the evening was when our singer bitched at me for playing a "wrong" chord. I told her, "With no one here, I'm trying some chord substitutions. They won't all be good ideas."

Got home at 2AM, a little poorer and a lot tired-er. Turned out the two free drinks we got were pretty severely limited and I decided to have two overpriced glasses of wine anyway.

Ah, the life of a working musician. Sure glad I'm not depending on the money.

Terry D.

• Members

I see I'm not the only one that thinks it's silly to shower, shave, etc only to get on stage and be a hot, sweaty mess in five minutes

Sounds like my band when we played some shows in North Carolina and Virginia in December. I think we only showered the first morning after playing in Richmond. And only because we were staying at one bandmate's in-laws.

I suspect we'll be doing the same next week (almost identical itinerary -- Raleigh, Wilmington, Charlottesville and Richmond, before returning to DC for a show). Yeah. It might get a little smelly

• Members

Hell, I normally sweat more during setup/strike than I do over a 4 hour night of playing. I try not to arrive too early (so I don't have to sit around and wait to play) and when I'm done I just want to get the F out and go home to my bed, so I bust ass to pack up & get out. Our final song of the night is usually immediately preceded by "last call" anyway, so I'm not shmoozing and drinking with friends or fans (like I have either at my gigs!), anyway.

• Members

Sounds like my band when we played some shows in North Carolina and Virginia in December. I think we only showered the first morning after playing in Richmond. And only because we were staying at one bandmate's in-laws.

In general, it's a good idea to shower after you do anything in Richmond.

• Members

More often than not - I provide PA for most of the gigs I play (subs, mains, amp rack, FOH rack, 4 wedges and all the necessary cabling). I also lug a pretty hefty keys rig as well. To be honest, I view the schlepp as part of my exercise routine on gig days. When it's time to schlepp - I move with a sense of urgency and definitely work up a sweat doing it. That said - I start gig days like I do most days - with a shower. If opportunity presents itself and I'm able to get a shower in between setup and gig time - I take advantage of it and consider it a luxury! (I like starting the night off feeling clean!). A shower is pretty much a necessity once I get home after a gig as well. I hate climbing into clean sheets with after sweating through a night of performing and a loadout. Back when everywhere was a smoking venue - showering once I got home after a gig was an absolutely requirement.

• Members

For me a pre-gig shower is what re-energizes me for the long night. I'm not awake in the mornings until I shower and its kinda the same thing before a gig for me. Nice hot shower gets the blood pumping and I feel refreshed, ready to go move gear, setup and be dirty and sweaty again before the 1st downbeat!

• Members

For me a pre-gig shower is what re-energizes me for the long night. I'm not awake in the mornings until I shower and its kinda the same thing before a gig for me. Nice hot shower gets the blood pumping and I feel refreshed, ready to go move gear, setup and be dirty and sweaty again before the 1st downbeat!

I'm the opposite. After a nice hot shower, all I wanna do is curl up under some covers and veg.

• Members

The problem for me is that I work from home. The pro's are I have semi flexible hours. The Cons are that I'm always working. It takes a while for me to recover from the weekends (I don't really get my engine started until 12-noon on Mondays. To compensate I'm always working the hell out of Fridays. I used to live for those Friday night shows... but these days I would rather lay my head down and get a good nights sleep. Often times I'm working until 6-7pm at night (my company is on the West Coast and I'm on the East Coast), frantically showering, wolfing down an energy bar to meet the van for a ride to the show. I'm smarter these days. I pack everything I need Thursday night... like I'm going on a business trip So I can work to the last possible minute. LOL.

I don't have much time to de-compress. I'm in a lucky position where I pick and choose the shows I play... but it also puts more pressure on me to try an opt out of on the right shows and to give advanced disclosure on the shows I can't make. Out of 8-9 shows a month I'm at 5-6. However once I'm at the show I feel great, and think to myself how crazy it was that I even considered sleeping over playing the show.

• Members

The problem for me is that I work from home. The pro's are I have semi flexible hours. The Cons are that I'm always working. It takes a while for me to recover from the weekends (I don't really get my engine started until 12-noon on Mondays. To compensate I'm always working the hell out of Fridays. I used to live for those Friday night shows... but these days I would rather lay my head down and get a good nights sleep. Often times I'm working until 6-7pm at night (my company is on the West Coast and I'm on the East Coast), frantically showering, wolfing down an energy bar to meet the van for a ride to the show. I'm smarter these days. I pack everything I need Thursday night... like I'm going on a business trip So I can work to the last possible minute. LOL.

I don't have much time to de-compress. I'm in a lucky position where I pick and choose the shows I play... but it also puts more pressure on me to try an opt out of on the right shows and to give advanced disclosure on the shows I can't make. Out of 8-9 shows a month I'm at 5-6. However once I'm at the show I feel great, and think to myself how crazy it was that I even considered sleeping over playing the show.

I have started keeping ready to gig rig in my truck... and one on stage at the house gig. We have a market day gig thats on our regular rotation thats sat 11am to 2pm... and always have a sat night gig at the bar thats 7pm to 11pm. Its sweet to leave the fri night show ,, knowing you have a gig ready rig already in the truck for the next days show ,, and when i get done with thatn one waiting on me on stage for the show that night. The more you have turn key ready to roll and the less you have to screw round loading and un loading the better. One nighter gigs kicked my ass when i was 18 and they still do today. the gear is sure way lighter today though. I cant imagine hsuling the rig i used haul back in the 60s.

• Members

load in at 9? You must start late. It takes us about 90 minutes to set up. Around here, 9-1 is a late gig; more of them are turning to 8-12 and some 7-11. We did 9-1 last weekend and I didn't get home until 2:45 AM. It used to be a way of life for me, but now it about kills me.

• Members

load in at 9? You must start late. It takes us about 90 minutes to set up. Around here, 9-1 is a late gig; more of them are turning to 8-12 and some 7-11. We did 9-1 last weekend and I didn't get home until 2:45 AM. It used to be a way of life for me, but now it about kills me.

Load in at 9pm

Set 1 at 10:30-12:00am

Break 12:00-12:30

Set 2 12:30-2am

We usually finish around 1:55 at this venue and I'm usually packed up and in my car by 3am. I live 2 minutes away so it's not a long drive.

Our worst gig is in Albany, NY-absolutely requires hotel stayover.

Leave at 7pm. arrive at 8:30 to load in.

Set 1 11:00-12am

Set 2- 12:30-1:30

Set 3- 2am-3am

Load out.

In the past I've driven home and walked in the door 5:30-6am... ugh! Luckily we get a club discount at the Hampton Inn across the street for $49. Great club but certainly exhausting work.

• Members

Load in at 9pm

Set 1 at 10:30-12:00am

Break 12:00-12:30

Set 2 12:30-2am

We usually finish around 1:55 at this venue and I'm usually packed up and in my car by 3am. I live 2 minutes away so it's not a long drive.

Our worst gig is in Albany, NY-absolutely requires hotel stayover.

Leave at 7pm. arrive at 8:30 to load in.

Set 1 11:00-12am

Set 2- 12:30-1:30

Set 3- 2am-3am

Load out.

In the past I've driven home and walked in the door 5:30-6am... ugh! Luckily we get a club discount at the Hampton Inn across the street for $49. Great club but certainly exhausting work.

I'm always amazed at how different things are around the country.

Our sets are like

9-10:15,

10:30 11:45,

12 to 1.

Most bands here do the traditional 9-10, 10:15 to 11, 11:15 to 12, 12:15 to 1.

If you take breaks longer than 15-20 minutes, the crowd starts leaving and you get the stinkeye from management. Last weekend, we were only ten minutes into our break and some people started bitching about how long our breaks were.

Archived