Friday:

Showered at 7.

Loaded in at 7:30.

Sound Check at 9.

Solo material from 9:30-10,

Band set I 10 - 11:30

Band Set II 11:45-1:30

Home at 2:30

Slept on the couch. Showered in the morning. Felt like I had been punched in the face 3 times, a baseball bat to my back, vocal chords thru a cheese grater and sledge hammer dropped on both feet.

Good gig.

• Moderators

I sort of enjoy the ritual of showering, shaving, and putting on some nicer clothes for a gig. That hasn't really changed for me... it wakes me up and I feel more confident when I feel like I'm presenting myself well.

What I have noticed, though, as a creep into my mid 30s, is that it's harder to handle going on later in the evening, and that weeknight gigs are rougher because I really feel terrible if I don't get enough sleep. Oh, and also that hangovers are like twice as bad.

• Members
I'm always amazed at how different things are around the country.

Our sets are like

9-10:15,

10:30 11:45,

12 to 1.

Most bands here do the traditional 9-10, 10:15 to 11, 11:15 to 12, 12:15 to 1.

If you take breaks longer than 15-20 minutes, the crowd starts leaving and you get the stinkeye from management. Last weekend, we were only ten minutes into our break and some people started bitching about how long our breaks were.

explain that you are going to take a musican break thats 15 minutes ,,it may seem like 20 to 30 minutes to a lot of you. :thu:

• Members

I sort of enjoy the ritual of showering, shaving, and putting on some nicer clothes for a gig. That hasn't really changed for me... it wakes me up and I feel more confident when I feel like I'm presenting myself well.

What I have noticed, though, as a creep into my mid 30s, is that it's harder to handle going on later in the evening, and that weeknight gigs are rougher because I really feel terrible if I don't get enough sleep. Oh, and also that hangovers are like twice as bad.

That's me all over, except for the hangover part since I don't drink. I like to take a shower sitting in the tub as hot as I can stand it until all the hot water is gone. I feel really relaxed after that. What sucks for me is that I live at least 30 miles away from the next nearest guy in my band, so if I use my PA I have to load it up myself and unload it and put it away when I get home.

• Members
That's me all over, except for the hangover part since I don't drink. I like to take a shower sitting in the tub as hot as I can stand it until all the hot water is gone. I feel really relaxed after that. What sucks for me is that I live at least 30 miles away from the next nearest guy in my band, so if I use my PA I have to load it up myself and unload it and put it away when I get home.

Band trailers are your friend.:)

• Members

Sooner or later you will swap out the power drinking at the show, for a power nap in the afternoon. I find just rackin out for an hour before shower time really helps on gig nights.

• Members

What sucks for me is that I live at least 30 miles away from the next nearest guy in my band, so if I use my PA I have to load it up myself and unload it and put it away when I get home.

I'm in the same boat in this regard. It's not too bad if I'm able to plan it such that I catch one (or even better both) of my sons at home - but if I can't, loading and/or unloadng at home is a bitch! My keyboard rig along (2 cased keyboards, 2 powered speakers, a small rack, a cable case, a bench and a keyboard stand) is a collection of 50-90 lbs boxes that's right around 400 lbs total. PA (FOH Rack, Amp Rack (3 RMX2450's!), subs, mains, 4 monitor wedges and all the required cabling) is another 700+ lbs on top of that. Oh well, it saves on the gym membership right?

Archived