Questions regarding micing amps

VinylMan

• Members

Again, it depends on how you set the amp and then EQ it in the mix. You can't just line out with the same settings you use when you mic the speaker.

Also depends on the character of the line out. I know on my Mesa, which sounds godly through speakers, has a a dry, pre-speaker line out signal that requires some sort of emulator between the amp and the PA to have it not sound like a shrill, buzzy mess.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Also depends on the character of the line out. I know on my Mesa, which sounds godly through speakers, has a a dry, pre-speaker line out signal that requires some sort of emulator between the amp and the PA to have it not sound like a shrill, buzzy mess.

Which begs the question: why would they even put one in the amp if it isn't going to remotely represent the sound of the amp?

I have only used line outs on my Fender HRD tube amp, my little Fender SuperChamp XD and a little solid state Roland Cube 30, and I'm able to get a good sound out of all 3 with the line out. I can't speak to other amps.

• Members

The one "emulated out" on a Marshall ValveState I used to hook into was pretty spot on. I've used a redbox clone that did a pretty good job on some amps but was too "fizzy" on a Fender "HotRod Deluxe". It's really easier to mic than to fool around with all that anyways.

• Members

The one "emulated out" on a Marshall ValveState I used to hook into was pretty spot on. I've used a redbox clone that did a pretty good job on some amps but was too "fizzy" on a Fender "HotRod Deluxe". It's really easier to mic than to fool around with all that anyways.

Yes, the HRD can be a challenge. I replaced the preamp tubes long ago from 12 AX7 to 12 AT7, which are mellower and don't break up as fast, so the line out is warmer sounding-as is the rest of the amp. I also replaced the 6L6 output tubes with some different ones from the FAT tubes they use that also provide a softer tone. I replaced the Eminence speaker with a Celesetion which made a big difference when using the speaker.

I don't think I've ever left a tube amp stock, come to think of it. :lol:

The only reason I like a line out is so I can disconnect the speaker and use it like a tube-powered direct box for quiet gigs. That way, I can drive the amp as hard as Ii want and just control the volume with the PA rather than getting a wimpy amp sound from having it turned so low.

• Members
Yes, the HRD can be a challenge. I replaced the preamp tubes long ago from 12 AX7 to 12 AT7, which are mellower and don't break up as fast, so the line out is warmer sounding-as is the rest of the amp. I also replaced the 6L6 output tubes with some different ones from the FAT tubes they use that also provide a softer tone. I replaced the Eminence speaker with a Celesetion which made a big difference when using the speaker.

Interesting! A friend of mine bought a mod kit off of eBay for his but hasn't put it in yet. Have you seen those? The tip about using a 12AT7 sounds good - I've never heard a fizzier amp or seen one as touchy on adjustment :( . Maybe they are "Good For Metal ™" LOL.

• Members

Interesting! A friend of mine bought a mod kit off of eBay for his but hasn't put it in yet. Have you seen those? The tip about using a 12AT7 sounds good - I've never heard a fizzier amp or seen one as touchy on adjustment
:(
. Maybe they are "Good For Metal (tm)" LOL.

Yeah, I love my HRD, but it took some getting used to and some mods. It's one of the earlier models they made, so maybe that makes a difference, too. I bought it new in 1999. They moved the manufacturing from Corona Calif. to Mexico in 2002. I went to a website of some tube guru and he said "If you have X amp and you're looking for X sound, then try X preamp tubes and X output tubes". So I did,and was very happy with the results. I'm after that warm velvety blues rock tone with natural overdrive but not distortion. I like to be able to hear the clean sound of the guitar right underneath the overdrive, so that's what I get from it now.

Here's a video of a jam song none of us had ever played (Oasis' "Wonderwall"- I'm fumbling all over the place trying to figure it out, LOL!) at a throw-together gig I did backing up this girl songwriter- I met the bass player at the gig for the first time, it was the second time I'd played with the drummer, and the bass player and drummer had never met- it was fun but not perfect. This gives a good idea of the tone I get now with the HRD, though-I only use a volume pedal, delay and a it of compression for sustain. Solos don't come out of the PA on the recording because the recorder was placed behind the speaker by the guy who set it up- why, I couldn't tell you. But it does pick up just the sound of the amp for reference. Vocals are picked up by the vocal monitor. Oh well.

And yes, I'm looking old these days!

[video=youtube;HwjJJKqxORY]

• Members

the best line-outs I've had with tube amps were my current Reason Bambino, and a Koch Studiotone that I used to own. Both had speaker emulation.

• Members

I don't think I've ever left a tube amp stock, come to think of it.
:lol:

The only reason I like a line out is so I can disconnect the speaker and use it like a tube-powered direct box for quiet gigs. That way, I can drive the amp as hard as Ii want and just control the volume with the PA rather than getting a wimpy amp sound from having it turned so low.

I had a nice tube amp with a speaker defeat on it and an XLR out. Gosh I wish I had read this thread before I sold it.

Archived