Are any of you primary cover bands tossing in an original or three?

zekmoe

• Members

Just curious. We don't but years ago it was almost common for a cover band to have originals. Now I know most cover bands are dance bands it seems, but do any of you add a few fully fleshed out originals to your cover sets?

• Members

Just curious. We don't but years ago it was almost common for a cover band to have originals. Now I know most cover bands are dance bands it seems, but do any of you add a few fully fleshed out originals to your cover sets?

we do originals in a cover show all the time.

• Members

Nope, and they wouldn't be wanted.

20 years ago, sure. We could throw a full set worth of originals into the night: was expected, and everybody else did it too.

Cover band world, at least in my area, is way different now.

• Members

Nope, and they wouldn't be wanted.

20 years ago, sure. We could throw a full set worth of originals into the night: was expected, and everybody else did it too.

Cover band world, at least in my area, is way different now.

I think you see it more with country/ americana bands.

• Members

I did it 10 years ago. At the time, I had been interviewed on the radio and my songs were featured on the show. We threw in about three or four a night. It was fun to see people dance and sing along with them.

We have a station in town that has been playing local bands for the last two years now, so I might write some more songs and see if we can get on there. If we can, I'd be willing to play some again. Otherwise, I'm not going to bother. Part of the appeal of our band are the songs we choose, so playing stuff people don't know would be a detriment to our rep.

• Members

Years ago, when the goals of the coverbands I was in was to also BE original bands and hopefully get a record deal---yes. We through them in all the time and as many as the audiences would tolerate. The goal was to hopefully have the originals as well or better-received than the covers and maybe even have a song "break through" as a regional hit. We'd work to stuff played on local radio stations when we could and such.

Nowadays? No. There'd be no point, really.

• Members

Yes.
The secret is to write good originals
:o
. Another thing is to have a strong cover-band concept, and have originals that fit seamlessly into that format.

This sounds obvious, but I don't know how many times I've seen bands put every idea they have on stage. I did it myself years ago. Now, maybe one song out of five is lucky to even see rehearsal, let alone make it into the rotation.

• Members

This sounds obvious, but I don't know how many times I've seen bands put every idea they have on stage.

Or don't know how to write a song with the ideas they have. Putting something together in a format that connects with the audience is as much craft as art.

Archived