The crazy s*** you do when you're a variety band...

• Members

But I DO have fun with the diversity...

Today we decided to fill in a few loose odds and ends for the wedding season coming up. So we learned:

"Sexy and I Know It" as an "embarass the groomsmen" song.

"Single Ladies" to play during the bouquet toss.

"The Stripper" to play during the garter toss.

"Cut The Cake" to play during....guess what!

"Hot Hot Hot" as a new conga-line song.

and a bit of "We Found Love" to flesh out a medley that wasn't really working.

My brain weaves so much back and forth between different styles of music these days, it's sometimes tough to switch gears!.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I figured that was the de facto standard, though I am sure I must be overlooking something, so what was the "old" conga line song?

"Love Train". That song just sort of filled that spot by default. Worked "ok", but it was time to take the effort to at least kick it up to the de facto standard.

I think all those bits are pretty much the standards. We were just doing other things that didn't work QUITE as well. As I say often, the right song can get you 75% of the way there, so why work harder than you have to? That's pretty much what all these song choices represent. But it was an odd combination of stuff to work out in a single session. Even for us.

• Members

Songs we're about to work up:

Come On Eileen

Tainted Love

Feel So Close - Calvin Harris

Part Of Me - Katy Perry

Stronger - Kelly Clarkson

I love the variety too!!

"Eileen" should be a no-brainer. We worked that one up as a special request a couple of years ago and it absolutely killed. Problem was, it was really hard to play. We played it HORRIBLY (even though the crowd loved it anyway.) Ended up being one of those "the crowd was singing along so loudly you couldn't really hear the band" deals. Our problem was we tried to keep it too close the original, with all the funky instrumention, and I was the only one who could sing that style to any degree. HARD song to sing like he does, and really hard for me to play and sing at the same time.

Stripped down and with Meagan singing it (as I imagine you guys will pretty much be forced to do) and I'm sure it will work fine. We just didn't bother to try that. So we just did it the one time and left it alone after that. But it's always in the back of my mind that we should try it again. SUCH a great sing-along song.

I'll be interested to hear how "Tainted Love" works for you. I would think that should kill as well. But I'm starting to get gun shy on any 80s stuff we aren't already doing. We'll probably wait to see if there's any legs for those other three. A lot of bands seems to be adding "Stronger", though.

• Members

How about this one for the bride and groom's first dance?

"The Lady Is A Tramp"

At this point, nothing would surprise me. :lol: We do "first dance" songs on a special request basis. We have a list of semi-standard stuff (that one ISN'T among them :poke:) that we ask people to choose from if anything there strikes their fancy, but we WILL learn any song they want. We have some rather oddball requests over the years. So it wouldn't surprise if that one gets tossed at us eventually.....

• Members

we've been playing a hybrid version of Eileen (part save ferris version part dexy's version) for a few years now. We don't do it every show anymore but every couple months I toss it in. Always worked better later in the night IMO.

• Members

Yeah, "Hot Hot Hot" has been on my list of "we really should be doing that one" songs for years. Just one of those we've never gotten around to for whatever reason. This is the year we've decided that since we've morphed into being such a wedding band (probably 60% or more of our gigs this year will be weddings) that it's time we just fully embraced it and learn all those little cheezy bits and pieces to fill out the entire event.

Before when it came to playing something during the bouquet toss, or whatever, we'd just jam through some silly "fanfare and drum roll" thing, knowing full well that if we actually want to be the type of band that deserves the money we ask to play these events, we should have everything be fully solid and not just jam-through stuff. Again, it comes down to that "compete with the DJs" thing.

• Members

"Eileen" should be a no-brainer. We worked that one up as a special request a couple of years ago and it absolutely killed. Problem was, it was really hard to play. We played it HORRIBLY (even though the crowd loved it anyway.) Ended up being one of those "the crowd was singing along so loudly you couldn't really hear the band" deals. Our problem was we tried to keep it too close the original, with all the funky instrumention, and I was the only one who could sing that style to any degree. HARD song to sing like he does, and really hard for me to play and sing at the same time.

Stripped down and with Meagan singing it (as I imagine you guys will pretty much be forced to do) and I'm sure it will work fine. We just didn't bother to try that. So we just did it the one time and left it alone after that. But it's always in the back of my mind that we should try it again. SUCH a great sing-along song.

I'll be interested to hear how "Tainted Love" works for you. I would think that should kill as well. But I'm starting to get gun shy on any 80s stuff we aren't already doing. We'll probably wait to see if there's any legs for those other three. A lot of bands seems to be adding "Stronger", though.

I'm not that concerned with "legs" right now. All three of the newer songs will take us less than an hour to learn total, so if we get 3-4 good shows out of them, we're solid. I expect Stronger and Part of Me to have some longevity. The other one I think will be fun to rock out a little.

• Members

Songs we're about to work up:

Come On Eileen

Tainted Love

Feel So Close - Calvin Harris

Part Of Me - Katy Perry

Stronger - Kelly Clarkson

I love the variety too!!

Come On Eileen

Tainted Love

Both these songs have been in our set for years. so many years that we set them aside for over a year and brought them back. I'd say for our crowds they are decent songs... good filler but not blowout material. That could be because we've played the {censored} out of them. Years back this was our ace in the hole 3rd set material. Now it's 1st set 2nd, 3rd song in.

• Members

I'm not that concerned with "legs" right now. All three of the newer songs will take us less than an hour to learn total, so if we get 3-4 good shows out of them, we're solid. I expect Stronger and Part of Me to have some longevity. The other one I think will be fun to rock out a little.

Yeah--one thing about most of those newer songs: they don't take too long to work up! We nailed "Sexy", "We Found Love" and "Single Ladies" pretty much all on the first take. There just isn't much going on in those things!

• Members

I always thought this was a workable arrangement:

[video=youtube;HCzWPBR30Nk]

I did Tainted Love in the 80s band and it never failed to pack the dance floor...

• Members

We're going back a few years to find some old pop to fill slots occupied by Tush and a few other overplayed classic rock songs in order to help us transition over to more Top 40 stuff... This Love, Hot & Cold, Baby One More Time, and maybe, just maybe, Backstreet's Back.

Newer songs are Domino and Stronger.

I think "classic rock" is soon going to disappear from our band description. Or at least I'd like for that to happen.

• Members

Curious about Stronger. Who's having any luck with it?

We learned it and tried it a couple times at rehearsal, but think we concluded that it's just a stupid, repetitive, non-danceable, boring song. It also kinda fills the "You Oughta Know" angry chick slot that we pretty much got rid of.

But if it's working, we'll gladly glom on to someone else's success with it and try it live. :lol:

• Members

People dig Sweet Caroline for some reason.

:idk:

Someone here probably knows the Sweet Caroline story, but I don't. All I know is it has become one of those songs that everybody knows and that everybody everywhere sings the same "extra" stuff along with. Funny how certain things catch on and spread across the country and around the world.

The song wasn't popular in the 80s that I was aware of. The first time I saw anybody singing the "BUM BUM BUMs" along with it was in a scene from the mid 90s movie "Beautiful Girls" with Timothy Hutton and Natalie Portman. But that wasn't a big hit movie and I don't know if the practice sprung from that movie or if it was simply reflecting something that was already going on. I don't remember if people singing "So strong...so strong" was in that movie or not.

But people DO like to sing that song and "touch hands"....

...all good fun.

• Members

Someone here probably knows the Sweet Caroline story, but I don't. All I know is it has become one of those songs that everybody knows and that everybody everywhere sings the same "extra" stuff along with. Funny how certain things catch on and spread across the country and around the world.

The song wasn't popular in the 80s that I was aware of. The first time I saw anybody singing the "BUM BUM BUMs" along with it was in a scene from the mid 90s movie "Beautiful Girls" with Timothy Hutton and Natalie Portman. But that wasn't a big hit movie and I don't know if the practice sprung from that movie or if it was simply reflecting something that was already going on. I don't remember if people singing "So strong...so strong" was in that movie or not.

But people DO like to sing that song and "touch hands"....

...all good fun.

Maybe Fenway?

[video=youtube;YynfrH5GHlw]

Archived