Pay to Play in Dewey Beach

mstreck

• Members

what is just odd to me is that they are licensing out of town performers. As a small business owner I am licensed in the city in which my office is located but I do business in dozens of cities over a tri-county area. If every city could ask for a license from me at $109 a pop it would cost me thousands a year. Same for the bands I play in. Our gigs are spread out over the same tri-county area and are in a different city every night. This bright idea if it catches on could ruin the local music scene. These fees should be built into the license the venue pays, not the performers.

Are they also doing the same to visiting health care workers and every other classification of business that comes into town to perform their duties?

• Members

Is this just Dewey Beach or is it happening in every beach town in Delaware? Because if I had to pay a fee to work in Rehoboth and Ocean City, etc., it'd soon be too prohibitive to play. And how about private parties and fraternal lodges? Do you have to pay to play those places, too?

• Members

I don't quite understand the licensing...is it an individual license, an operators license, a business license? A state license? A local license?

There might be a loop there in getting the fee repealed...a license issued by government authorities has to have grounding in protection of a populous. Somewhere in most every state's constitution is the idea that you can't declare license issuance on just anything...there has to be a reason.

Aside from being a pain in the ass, I wonder what the reason was when it got passed? Cuz if they slipped it in there at a city council meeting and used a stupid reason, you could get it repealed....

• Members

I don't quite understand the licensing...is it an individual license, an operators license, a business license? A state license? A local license?

There might be a loop there in getting the fee repealed...a license issued by government authorities has to have grounding in protection of a populous. Somewhere in most every state's constitution is the idea that you can't declare license issuance on just anything...there has to be a reason.

Aside from being a pain in the ass, I wonder what the reason was when it got passed? Cuz if they slipped it in there at a city council meeting and used a stupid reason, you could get it repealed....

Here's my take on it: I figure the locals who moved into the beach houses years ago when they were younger - and are now much older - want the town to "quiet down" so they can enjoy quiet during their upcoming retirement years, so they are trying to shut down the party bars. I think that would also increase their property values.

Like I said, that's MY take on it, but I haven't been following it very closely. I do know that, very recently, the city imposed a 60db noise limit on business after 10:00pm. I don't know how well that's been going over, or if it's been strictly enforced. But places like the Rusty Rudder that have bands outside are going to have a little trouble falling into those parameters.

• Members

Here's my take on it: I figure the locals who moved into the beach houses years ago when they were younger - and are now much older - want the town to "quiet down" so they can enjoy quiet during their upcoming retirement years, so they are trying to shut down the party bars. I think that would also increase their property values.

Yeah but those are personal reasons, that can't be the reason they LEGISLATED it, knowhatimsain'? I reckon that is the REAL reason, but they couldn't make that stick on paper like that....if they did, virtually every circuit court in the country would shoot it down if someone brought 'property values and old age' as a reason a musician had to have a license....

....but the sound ordinance thing is different. All that loud rawk and rawl can be a nuisance when you're trying to watch 9p Matlock re runs before bed....

• Members
Apparently some of the clubs are covering the fee for the bands. Where I think there is an argument is a 10 piece band pays the same as a solo performer.

This. I play solo gigs, duo & trio under one band name, and in a completely different four-piece band. Would I need three different licenses? Four? :idk:

• Members

My problem with it is simply that if one town can do it, they all can... Where does it end? What if a coastal touring band has to pay $100+ for every single town they play in??! The mayor is also slightly disillusioned that these bands are taking home fat $$.. after costs, many of the touring bands barely scrape by. And she sticks up for her "cleaning lady".. well why the hell doesn't she give the cleaning lady a raise if her wages are so "unfair"?? Why does a mayor even have a cleaning lady?? The mayor in my city makes $2000 a year. Yep, that's all, it's a public service job... That article angered me.

• Members

In my city you have to pay a $50 license fee to busk in an outdoor mall located in tourist-ville. I paid it off in one afternoon.

The other pay to play zone is a bigger outdoor market and it's $200 for the license. I don't busk there but I used to and the problem is in that area you have to also contend with panhandlers. When they make them pay a yearly license fee I will also pay the fee.

• Members

It's perfectly legal, but that doesn't mean it's a great idea. This sounds like one of those laws that will have unforeseen consequences long term. My guess is those bars will start booking fewer and fewer bands, and then eventually some of these places will shut down when people stop coming out to drink on Saturday nights.

• Members

Delaware collects income taxes from its residents at the following rates:

-- No tax on the first $2,000

-- 2.2 percent on taxable income between $2,000 and $5,000

-- 3.9 percent on taxable income between $5,001 and $10,000

-- 4.8 percent on taxable income between $10,001 and $20,000

-- 5.2 percent on taxable income between $20,001 and $25,000

-- 5.55 percent on taxable income between $25,001 and $60,000

-- 5.95 percent on taxable income over $60,000.

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Dela.asp

Delaware does not assess a sales tax on consumers.

The state does, however, impose a tax on the gross receipts of most businesses. Business and occupational license tax rates range from 0.096 percent to 1.92 percent, depending upon the category of business activity.

Unless otherwise specified, the term "gross receipts" means the total receipts of a business, with no deductions for the cost of goods or property sold, labor costs, interest expense, discounts paid, delivery costs, state or federal taxes or any other expenses.

http://www.sussexcountyde.gov/dept/finance/

has some more contact info.

• Members

Is this just Dewey Beach or is it happening in every beach town in Delaware? Because if I had to pay a fee to work in Rehoboth and Ocean City, etc., it'd soon be too prohibitive to play. And how about private parties and fraternal lodges? Do you have to pay to play those places, too?

Just Dewey as far as I know. Dan88z may know more about the situation.

• Members

i dont' know any more than you do, I stay far away from Dewey! There's not really much that is worthwhile for my band to play down that way, I can make more money and have a better commute staying with the eastern shore stuff we do. I'm friends with Ryan (the guy who wrote the story) so if anyone had specific questions then maybe I can ask.

I do know that the cover bands that play the couple main rooms down there make $$$$. Like someone commented on the blog- same 4 bands playing the same 20 songs at venues that are walking distance from each other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I don't necessary have an issue if you have multiple (several) dates down there but if you only play once or twice then that kinda sucks.... I think they would do better taking a small % from each gig or say $10/gig. This way if you play 10 times down there during the summer they still get their $100, if you play once or twice it doesn't hurt.

Dewey has a whole bunch of issues they need to deal with; charging the musicians who do the entertaining doesn't solve one of them ....

Archived