2012 spring radio tour / 2012 summer tour journal

J.Paul

• Members

June 27th ~ first day of summer tour

Although the response Gwen got opening for Unkle Kracker was great (cardboard #1 fan signs in the crowd and sold out merch) we didn't have different expectations for this year's fair run. The 80 year olds would still complain about us being too loud, the parents would still be ignoring us from the bleachers while their 10 year olds "rocked out" at the front of stage, the "Hefer Queen" would still do a presentation somewhere during the course of the night, and Gwen would still sing the occasional National Anthem. We were still a soft ticket event until we could transition to a hard ticket concert. It's nice to play music to families instead of drunks in a bar but the goal this year is to NOT be a variety act and separate the fans from the people that just happen to be there (if it's too loud then you shouldn't come to our show, if we're not country enough or not rock enough then you wouldn't buy Gwen's CD anyway, if it's your best friend's birthday go to Taylor's concert and maybe SHE'LL announce it because we're not, If you don't like it don't let the barn door hit you on the way out. If you're on board then lets have a good time.)

In addition we were still in the Dodge Sprinter. We couldn't find a tour bus we wanted to buy. The buses for lease were usable but they weren't for sale. The buses for sale all had deal breaker issues. (please- no commentary about the politics of buying a bus; it goes beyond the scope of this thread). So (again) we were using :

Ford Excursion with production trailer (Louis, Gwen, & Angel)

aerial.jpg

Dodge Sprinter (crew and band)

There is no tour book or daysheet. It never got done. So no one in this van knows ANYTHING. (are we staying over night?, where exactly are we?, hotel addresses for the next two months?,name of the promoter or radio station?, where exactly is the day off?, when is departure time?, what hours on what day do I have free for my own interviews, guitar clinics, meetings, hook-ups, booty calls, career or whatever.....blah blah blah). I'm trapped. There is a private online calendar everyone (except the agents) is privy to. It lets the radio team, band, and publicists know where the openings are and what's happening.The tour details are supposed to be under the show days but they aren't.

4:50 am wake, pack car, pickup Steve (whos car is still blown up)

6:30 am Meet at Gwen's house, pack up, move cars to storage, depart.

Louis and Gwen got a flat in between St Louis and Kansas City.

Stopped in Sioux Falls, SD for the night around 11pm

June 28th Grand Forks, ND

Got 8 hours sleep. Up at 8am, depart at 9am. Load in at 2pm

We load in and have help. The stage is about 3 feet from the grandstand putting the mains aimed directly at their faces. We set the board up on stage left and Tony runs sound wirelessly on the Mac from the audience. Lunch, hotel, nap, shower showtime 8:30 . No lights because the sun is still up the whole show. Walk onstage for show and stand around scratching ass while the radio DJ (announcer) waits on the rest of his crew...and waits....and waits.

The show had some decent musical moments but some failure too. The pocket was relatively good and dynamics were ok. BGVs were about 70%. I played a different solo on "Dixieland Delight" that is good but needs tightening. Steve crashed on the bridges of "Motel Room" and Stay".He also started "Dixieland Delight" too slow (at Alabama tempo....but we play it about 25 bpm faster).

We (sometimes) encore on "Who's Counting and diamond / car crash the intro. That song has always been in Dd but now the setlist says it's in D (Jason starts it in D). Steve and I are in Dd (remember the June 24th rehersal journal entry about never running the set from top to bottom? That's what you get). I get reamed for not following the setlist afterwards and playing it in D (in a truck stop parking lot w/out setlist in hand). By the same token no one seems to recall that "Burning Down the House" is in G on the setlist but we are actually playing it in Ad. There is also a 7 year history of numerous songs in the master setlist (200-300 songs?) that Gwen has keyed wrong. No one seems to recall these things but yet I look like an incompetent asshole for starting "Who's Counting" in the key we've always played it in.

VENUE ~ fair grandstands by the racetrack

LOAD IN / SET-UP

~ had help, had ramps, had water (eventually)

~ restrung strat (SIT)

~ Gwen is at soundcheck since she wasn't at production rehersal (while out w/ Blake).

TEAR DOWN / LOAD-OUT

~ good help, good ramps

MUSIC

~ good show for the first one, bad show for a band that's been together 8-9 years

~ Steve's brain farting

~I'm still finding the right holes and spots to move to during the set since the changes

TECHNICAL

~under a tin roof

~Decent IEM mix

~the electrician cut power before we powered down our digital board (!!)

~Tony ran sound wirelessly on the Mac from the audience

~no lights

FANS ~Amy from Bismark

DTF ~ too young

OTHER

~perfect weather

~hung out with Tim (7Strings) and his wife Heather afterwards. Nice folks, handsome couple

~ half the crowd decided it was actually a concert and decided to come to the front the last two songs

~ I do not like what she wore tonight. The denim jacket she wore afterwards (at the truck stop) was super cute and should have been used to accessorize what she wore for the show.

fullstage.jpg

Grand Forks

timgwenme.jpg

Tim, Gwen, and Me

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another question..Was all that cool casing you got for your rig provided by your team or did you have to pay for it? I know I couldn't afford it man!! AWESOME Rig and really efficient to boot! That's the name of the game of course :)

• Members

Paul, is it normal for your guitarist to be brain farting the material at this point? How many songs are in your set on average? 10-12? I mean, I would have them COLD by now...What's up?

No. It doesn't seem normal to me. I'm only trying to report facts and what happened. My opinions are (mostly) limited to the nuances of MY playing as well as Gwen's wardrobe hits and misses. It's not supposed to be a "beat up on the new guitar player blog". He's a STELLAR guitarist and I'm learning alot from him. The issue was resolved after the next show that we played...not quite sure what's up with that.

BTW - "The Voice" didn't air the 3 takes of " Stay" that Justin blew on guitar (I would hope folks in this forum would know what a badass he is) - they aired the ONE take that Justin nailed and that was Gwen's blind audition that we so critically pick apart and scrutinize.Food for thought.

• Members
Another question..Was all that cool casing you got for your rig provided by your team or did you have to pay for it? I know I couldn't afford it man!! AWESOME Rig and really efficient to boot! That's the name of the game of course
:)

Jason, Louis, and myself did not pay for those. I didn't ask how much they are and don't care (I was content with the 9 minuete set-up I had before) nor did I pay for the Marshall Iso case we had built a few years ago which is for sale BTW

-2-1.jpg
Marshall 25/50 - Marshall 1936 2x12- Alcorn Iso Case FRONT

-1-2.jpg
Marshall 25/50 - Marshall 1936 2x12- Alcorn Iso Case BACK

-7.jpg
Marshall 25/50 - Marshall 1936 2x12- Alcorn Iso Case SIDE

But yeah, they are pretty cool and very useful.
All of Alcorn's cases are custom and specific to the client
but he's thinking of basing these prototypes on something he can eventually market as an all-in-one option to anyone.

There needs to be some tweaking with the concept so that the cases aren't proprietary to a specific amp.... Maybe even a climate control option (as mentioned by jcpatte2). Anyone else got any suggestions ?

• Members
No. It doesn't seem normal to me. I'm only trying to report facts and what happened. My opinions are (mostly) limited to the nuances of MY playing as well as Gwen's wardrobe hits and misses. It's not supposed to be a "beat up on the new guitar player blog". He's a STELLAR guitarist and I'm learning alot from him. The issue was resolved after the next show that we played...not quite sure what's up with that.

BTW - "The Voice" didn't air the 3 takes of " Stay" that Justin blew on guitar (I would hope folks in this forum would know what a badass he is) - they aired the ONE take that Justin nailed and that was Gwen's blind audition that we so critically pick apart and scrutinize.Food for thought.

No, I totally get it and understand where you are coming from. :)

• Members

Fri. June 29 Rugby, ND

VENUE ~ Pierce County Fair in front of rodeo grandstand on 2 flat beds

LOAD IN / SET-UP
~ good help, good ramps
~ singer for tomorrow's opener runs over our snake with his man truck then the fair's golf cart runs over it
~ restrung acoustic (SIT)

TEAR DOWN / LOAD-OUT ~ everything except mains and lights back into the trailer for the night

MUSIC ~ 90%. Much better show. Steve makes it through and sounds great on the acoustic stuff.

TECHNICAL ~The Presonus' reverb comes and goes at random. The Presonus isn't saving or loading the mix presets. I suspect operator error or perhaps using a digital console in 104 degree heat (duh).

FANS ~ meet and greet before the show. Lots of Sebastians tonight. Great attendance for a small county fair (around 700)

DTF ~ too tired. Too much sun.

OTHER

~ Gwen rides in on Clydesdales to start the show
~ excellent hospitality by Brie, includes super nice motor home, great AC, home cooked meals, plenty of water, towels
~Shania Twain tribute act "Shania Too" opening up

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1455.jpg

Sat. June 30 Rugby, ND

VENUE ~ same

LOAD IN / SET-UP
~ it rained so we had to put most everything back in the trailer last night and check again
~ Tested Steve's Tech 21 GT2 for a potential spare (sounds usable)

TEAR DOWN / LOAD-OUT ~ no help worth mentioning

MUSIC
~ 95%. Good show, although Gwen sounded a little tired (IMO) at times.
~ Ended w/ "Who's Counting" and dropped the (gay) encore.
~ I still need to tighten up the "Dixeland Delight" solo

TECHNICAL

FANS ~ many of the town's business's have huge welcome signs for Gwen

DTF ~ not feelin' it tonight. Also the hot magician's assistant from this afternoon's act was hooked up w/ magician boss

OTHER
~ opening act "You 3 Plus 1"
~ two great merch nights in a row
~ magician's audio dude turns me on to "Ratatat". Very cool.
~ CMT "Insider" broadcasts a lengthy feature on Gwen that morning

[video=youtube;PToL7Q471lE&feature]

487388_4218393943964_1026920184_n.jpg
Rugby, ND

• Members

I have enjoyed your posts and your insights. I went to Youtube and watched a bunch of clips and I think you guys (and Gwen) are as good as anyone out there. The show you guys have on Youtube that is professionally shot and edited is great;

• Members

I'm sure what most people want to know is how does one artist who is moderately talented break huge when there are others that are more talented still playing pool halls and high school gyms?

Landing yourself a spot on one of those TV singing contests that so many people here constantly deride and belittle isn't a bad way to start, I suppose...

• Members

Hmmm....I wonder if these two things might have been related to each other?

That's a logical conclusion Tim but it was giving us some issues before this.

The latest theory on the mixes is that the lid is simply hitting the gain knobs when when take it off and put it on,

There isn't a working theory on the verb, Tony just twists the knobs until it starts working again (at random).

The main issue is that the level knob are adjusted by clicks. When the gain structure is correct these clicks are too big of a move (almost 4 -5 db difference in a click adjustment...which is no way to get a mix). We are gonna have to regain everything down so that the clicks aren't as big a move (which should have been done on production day at SIR).... we've had 3 different monitor rigs the last 5 or 6 years (?) and once we get everything gets dialed in (after a month or two of adjustments) we don't need to check IEM / monitors.

• Members

The real question is : at what point would she bail on this thing and just be Blake's fulltime background singer? Blake doesn't care what she does, he just wants to help. His attitude is : "you are welcome to sing as many shows with me as you can. If you have your own show then go do it".

Does anyone else have a band they play with that gives them that freedom? Raise your hand.

That really sounds like a great gig. She can play to huge crowds with Blake, access his fanbase and connections, and use all of that to further her own career (all with Blake's support and blessings).

• Members
I'm sure what most people want to know is how does one artist who is moderately talented break huge when there are others that are more talented still playing pool halls and high school gyms?

I'm sure there is no easy answer to that, but it would be nice to figure out what

• Members

Landing yourself a spot on one of those TV singing contests that so many people here constantly deride and belittle isn't a bad way to start, I suppose...

Yeah.... I don't know. The verdict is still out for me.

The phenomenon is still so new (in the big picture).

I think in another 10 or 15 years everyone will have a better grip on what it means to start as (or be) "the reality show music person"....

She didn't even make it that far in the show but it HAS helped Gwen no doubt

BTW ~ The Voice has affected virtually nothing that I am reporting here (as far as summer tour). These fairs (and the opening slots with promoters) were all booked 9 months ago (before we could go public with the show). The fairs will put the logo on the posters, and that might draw a little more for the fair (and merch table). It definitely affected the 2,600 we had in Hazen, ND (my next post). To my knowledge the only other things it has affected are :

~ getting us on the Kelly Pickler bill in WY. That promoter has used us as an opener for many shows but the Pickler camp didn't want another chick on the bill. The Voice status enabled (ammunition) the promoter (the team) to get us on the bill.

~ there were 10 "new artist" female single releases nationwide last quarter. The "credibility" of The Voice provided Gwen a jumping off point for the radio team. The song has to be great and the recording has to be competitive but if the artist and the team doesn't have anything to talk about to radio then there isn't a conversation.

EG : radio in CO. doesn't care that you sold 3,000 CDs in your hometown of Salem,NH or that you are a big draw on Fridays 2,000 miles away. "The Voice" enabled many (but not all) of the stations (with the perseverance of the radio team) to at least take a listen to Gwen in person or consider spinning the single once.

I'm sure there is more that I am not aware of (I'm just the guitar player) that's happening in the office everyday that The Voice has affected. In Gwen's case, having the machine already going has been imperative. Jared waited almost a year later and STILL doesn't have his album out. Erin (who was supposed to stay with Gwen in TN this week) won't have her music out until the next season airs.....

On the other hand guys like Josh Gracin (who had little-to-no musical history), does well on a show, gets a deal, and blows it because he doesn't want to do the work (instead he just wants to show up somewhere and sing).

• Members

Yeah.... I don't know. The verdict is still out for me.

The phenomenon is still so new (in the big picture).

I think in another 10 or 15 years everyone will have a better grip on what it means to start as (or be) "the reality show music person"....

She didn't even make it that far in the show but it HAS helped Gwen no doubt

Yeah, I think that as more and more artists go on to further success from these shows the more credibility they have with the public. They certainly are a step above going on something like "Star Search" which was something a lot of people tried to avoid back in the day. And with the success people like Carrie Underwood and Miranda Lambert and even Kellie Pickler have, it's hard to deny their potential power.

But obviously you STILL have to have the right songs and be willing to do the hard work.

Personally, I'm a fan of those shows. Both from the level of the entertainment they provide and because I actually believe they provide more positives than negatives to the industry. The more people excited about good singing the better. A lot of people around here dismiss them because they believe the contestants haven't paid the proper amount of dues or that they are "karaoke" singers. A lot of that just seems like jealousy to me. There are no easy roads to success in this business and as you indicate in your post, even if you do get a good break it's meaningless if you aren't willing or don't know how to do what you need to do to follow it up properly.

It really seems like Gwen has done most things right and it's STILL up in the air as to whether anything major will come of it or not. Just enjoy the ride is all you can do!

• Members

7/1-7/3 Winter Park, CO (outside of Denver) off days

Stayed at The Vintage hotel

where employees bring their dogs to work.

The Bar staff at The Lodge on top of the mountain is from Murfreesboro (where I live ! ) !

winterpark3.jpg

winterpark.jpg

listening to Pat Metheny Band "First Circle" while on the lift gazing at mountains = extra cool
[video=youtube;2sbW_QGMRhw&feature]

the_vintage.jpg

GEAR STUFF
I do not have a spare amp. There isn't room in the trailer for another amp so at the production rehersal (the day before we left) I brought a speaker emulator (Roland GP100) that works really well but it was axed because it is a 1 space rack mount unit (WTF?)....so the speaker emulator (or spare) needs to be pedal sized. Steve ordered a Tech 21 GT2 for his spare (it has 3 "voicings" or "amps"). I checked my pedalboard through his GT2 in Rubgy and found that the "Tweed" voicing is the only "amp" that takes my pedals well. Based on that I ordered a Tech 21 Blonde "character" pedal and had it delivered to the Sebastian ranch in ND. It is the same "Tweed" voicing with a few more options and should sound pretty decent for a spare.

• Members

That's a logical conclusion Tim but it was giving us some issues before this.

The latest theory on the mixes is that the lid is simply hitting the gain knobs when when take it off and put it on,

There isn't a working theory on the verb, Tony just twists the knobs until it starts working again (at random).

The main issue is that the level knob are adjusted by clicks. When the gain structure is correct these clicks are too big of a move (almost 4 -5 db difference in a click adjustment...which is no way to get a mix). We are gonna have to regain everything down so that the clicks aren't as big a move (which should have been done on production day at SIR).... we've had 3 different monitor rigs the last 5 or 6 years (?) and once we get everything gets dialed in (after a month or two of adjustments) we don't need to check IEM / monitors.

I have heard reports lately that there are some problems with the latest batch of ProSonus mixers. It's possible that you guys were unlucky enough to get one of those. I love the idea of being able to mix wirelessly from my iPad (which my wife would probably do at our shows), but this information makes me a bit hesitant to buy one now.

• Members

(see notes *)

* Note : The most common scenario of this would be that a major label picks Gwen up and the A&R wants a different band. So what? Now I have (another) major label credit. Man up and move on.

I really have enjoyed reading your diary about you, Gwen and the rest of the band. I have also enjoyed watching videos of you, Gwen and the rest of the band playing - everything works - you are all tight, professional and put on a good show. I don't understand why a major studio would consider messing with a formula that works (not to say they would, but you guys have the total package). Obviously if talent were lacking, then it would make sense. I think that it would be tough to man-up and move on sometimes.

I just watched Magic Man - I couldn't tell for sure, but was that Gwen singing? Great guitar work!

• Members

So one thing I've been wondering (as a younger guy), how do you "break-in" as a gun for hire. What steps did you take to get to this point to field calls from larger acts?

Google this book: Nashville Musician's Survival Guide. It's a $9.99 ebook. Hope that helps.

• Members

(see notes *)

The same chance that I will find a younger, thinner, better looking artist.

or

The same chance that I will find an older, more established act whose guitar player wants to be off the road.It works both ways.

You're missing some of the nuance of the journal which is "show up", and "don't be an asshole". Also a few things to consider :

~I am overweight by Hollywood standards not by Nashville standards

~We are still missing 3 people in the lineup (that we don't have the budget for yet).It is more likely that they will be hired before before we go replacing me.

~ is the 24 y/o model that plays like Johnny highland and sings like Vince Gill with the world class equipment gonna want to play in the middle of nowhere and set up production in 114 degrees every other day? If so, is he pleasant enough to be with in a bus, van, car, airplane for 9 months out of the year? Will he even stay in the band for 9 months (see entries on Spanky and 1000 other guys like him that "play with everyone"). Is that guy (or girl) available right NOW?

~is it good leadership to hire hot new players every 2 months because the last hot new player just got a gig w cirque de sole (or who ever....) and left the group?

There are too many moving pieces to the bigger picture than to be hassling with personnel.There are also plenty of lesser (and better) players that could and would do this gig (somewhere). So nothing's stopping anyone from relpacing me or all of us. We haven't really broken Gwen as a national act yet. Alot of the promo and publicity looks good but is really just smoke and mirrors until something substantial happens. Until then you support and encourage the artist your working with (in any way you can) , show your strengths, work on your weaknesses, show up, and don't be an ass.

* Note : The most common scenario of this would be that a major label picks Gwen up and the A&R wants a different band. So what? Now I have (another) major label credit. Man up and move on.

It's a great point man. Often times when you see touring lineups you see the guys that were available, not necessarily the 'first' chosen. I'm not saying this in J. Paul's case, just in general. When I look at alot of touring band line ups they tend to have older, experienced, seasoned players. They may have the 'look' from 50 feet away but you get up close and find out that player is 44, with more than 20 years tour experience. The artist is in the forefront anyway, the backing band in the background. Unless she/he is a Disney artist touring with players who are largely choreographed to pre-recorded tracks, youth is not a big factor I think.

Love reading this 2nd summer in a row!

• Members

Wed. July 4th Meeker, CO.

VENUE ~ grandstands at the fairground.

LOAD IN / SET-UP
~ 2 flats beds for stages.
~ Took and hour and half before we had wood planks to load the subs onto (to reinforce the
dirt). Since the extreme motocross motorcycle show (later that night) was directly in front of the stage we did not soundcheck or even take backline or monitor world out of their cases. We wired and powered the stage and did as much set-up as possible then tarped everything.
~ great help
~ unsafe and questionable ramps

TEAR DOWN / LOAD-OUT - 30 minuetes tear down and load out. Great help.

MUSIC
~ very mediocre show for most of us but a good show as a band and a unit.Nice flow.
~ Gwen had really a nice "Stay".
~ Horrible "Dixieland Delight" solo by my dirty dry rodeo fingers.
~ Good BGV from "Dixieland.." to the end.
~ My diamonds after the "Separate Ways" solo are now replaced with the the 2nd keyboard line.
~ My "VIP" fiddle riff in the chorus is now dropped an octave.

TECHNICAL
~ "ground loop type" hums from the acoustic and Steve's electric the entire show.
~ the Presonus seems to be either changing the mix or loading the wrong scene in because everyone's mixes, levels, and pans are different.
~ no lights tonight (7 pm show)
~ no soundcheck, just a quick line check. Tony runs sound wirelessly on the Mac from the audience.
~ strat pickup position 4 is too glassy for the solo to "Home"; stay on the neck pickup
~ keep the Timmy on for "Someday Soon" and "Count on Me"
~ the Rivera Chubster sounds pretty good and has been consistent everyday so far.
~ everyone to the front for "Separate Ways" and "Annie" solos (give the girl a chance to water up)

FANS - none that I am aware of. Gwen was not on the one flyer/poster that I saw (although the motocross
was)...not sure how anyone would know she was even playing. Lots of people at merch, very little merch actually sold.

DTF - Roller Derby hotties wanted to party at the town bar afterwards~ was too embarrassed from the show to leave the hotel room.

OTHER
~ no fireworks on the 4th of July (there is a smoking ban here as per CNN / HLN if you have cable)
~ no alcohol, no smoking, 7pm show in full sunlight all not conducive to having a good time for most folks.
~ motocross opened for us and after us was (get THIS!) a war re-enactment inside the rodeo.
~ motocross dudes signed merch for too long and took too long to drag their ramps off which put our show 15 minuetes behind which made us cut 3 songs (we were set up and ready in 20 minuetes). No one from the fair seemed to be in charge.
~ fair wanted Gwen to announce the parade float winners during the "show". Louis did it instead as he was introducing us (since there is no one there to introduce us anyway).
~ during the break (before our show) the fair cleared everyone from the bleachers and asked them to pay an additional ticket to see the rest. Bizarre.....
~ 750 that night; largest turnout for that event ever.
~ the next day all of us have good attitudes. We realize that we are (mostly) dealing with farmers and not concert promoters which can be the difference between playing a "show" vs playing just another "gig".

IMG_1529.jpg
audience persepctive

rightside.jpg
right side

leftside.jpg
left side

Thurs July 5th - 14 hour travel day to Dickinson, ND

Hot alterna- chick working Holiday Inn front desk the next a.m. (age unkown)

Archived