So I decided to answer an ad on Craigslist...

• Members

Let me preface this post by saying that I love my current band, and I have no desire to leave it. I'm just always on the lookout for new experiences and potentially some new musician friends in town.

So I answered a Craigslist ad for a band needing a bassist and lead guitarist. Since I do both, I offered both. They said to play bass (which was less preferable to me, since I already am doing that in my current band).

Now, getting into this I was a little worried because they said they hadn't played in a long time and they were rusty. And they were. Apparently they had played shows before, but playing with them last night made me wonder how they ever got a second gig anywhere. It was pretty bad.

Nice guys, though, for sure...and it was fun running through a bunch of songs I either have never played or haven't played in a long time. And it was even more fun and challenging singing stuff in standard (because pretty much all the bands I've been in since 2000 have been 1/2-step down bands). I even made it through "Working For The Weekend" sounding pretty good and not missing any notes (anyone who's sung the second verse of that song will know what kind of a challenge that is).

Overall it was kind of weird, because the talent gap was huge (if you'll pardon the arrogance of that comment because it's true). But it was pretty fun.

Just makes me value my band more and reminds me that if I do something else it'd be more fun doing something where 90% of the songs aren't the same as what I'm already doing and perhaps where I could play guitar.

Just thought I'd share. "Cool story bro", right?

Anyone do anything like this ever?

Brian V.

• Members

My experiences exactly. We've had a few situations where we've needed to add someone to the band, so a couple of us will go out and "audition" with other bands and see if there's anyone we can steal (yes kinda shady, but oh well). The whole disparity between what is advertised on craigslist and actual reality is striking, and has completely made me jaded toward anything I see on craigslist. I love the guys that are all hardass and demanding (must have pro gear, years of gig experience, expert stage presence, young energetic image, session player quality, etc) then you get there and it's a bunch of fat drunk old guys butchering Smoke On The Water and White Room.

If you ever get frustrated or pissed at your own band for whatever reason, hit a few CL auditions, LOL. Will definitely make you appreciate what you've got.

• Members

Damn Stratotastic, your comment makes me worry lol. I just moved to a new area and am looking for a new band. CL is sadly the only way I know how to advertise in an area where I don't know anybody. I actually live up to my ad too. But, I realize that the chance of anyone is a highly functioning band seeing it is slim. Thankully Grant has been trying to help me out.

• Members

Bishop, I live across the river in New London...most of the stuff on Craigslist in our area is the same Southern Rock band, the same tribute band looking for hired guns, and the occasional weird band...(like the one for playing video game covers in bars...WTF???) Anyways, you might want to stretch to Providence, Hartford, and New Haven. Might find better luck in those craigslist ads, even if it means driving a bit further.

Around here, there is a much larger solo/duo scene than anything else. Trust me, we're trying to convince some of those places that our 4 piece band can be as quiet but more entertaining, and it's not easy!

• Moderators

Let me preface this post by saying that I love my current band, and I have no desire to leave it. I'm just always on the lookout for new experiences and potentially some new musician friends in town.

So I answered a Craigslist ad for a band needing a bassist and lead guitarist. Since I do both, I offered both. They said to play bass (which was less preferable to me, since I already am doing that in my current band).

Now, getting into this I was a little worried because they said they hadn't played in a long time and they were rusty. And they were. Apparently they had played shows before, but playing with them last night made me wonder how they ever got a second gig anywhere. It was pretty bad.

Nice guys, though, for sure...and it was fun running through a bunch of songs I either have never played or haven't played in a long time. And it was even more fun and challenging singing stuff in standard (because pretty much all the bands I've been in since 2000 have been 1/2-step down bands). I even made it through "Working For The Weekend" sounding pretty good and not missing any notes (anyone who's sung the second verse of that song will know what kind of a challenge that is).

Overall it was kind of weird, because the talent gap was huge (if you'll pardon the arrogance of that comment because it's true). But it was pretty fun.

Just makes me value my band more and reminds me that if I do something else it'd be more fun doing something where 90% of the songs aren't the same as what I'm already doing and perhaps where I could play guitar.

Brian V.

Hey! We don't suck that bad!

• Members

Bishop, I live across the river in New London...most of the stuff on Craigslist in our area is the same Southern Rock band, the same tribute band looking for hired guns, and the occasional weird band...(like the one for playing video game covers in bars...WTF???) Anyways, you might want to stretch to Providence, Hartford, and New Haven. Might find better luck in those craigslist ads, even if it means driving a bit further.

Around here, there is a much larger solo/duo scene than anything else. Trust me, we're trying to convince some of those places that our 4 piece band can be as quiet but more entertaining, and it's not easy!

I saw the video game music band! I was laughing so hard.

Hopefully I can find something soon, I'm going nuts up here. Even when I was doing the agency band I still had a few friends playing our favorites, and an acoustic duo going as well.

• Members

Brian V.

Hey Brian, I think this is cool. I do something similar on occasion; either jam with a band seeking a drummer, try out for one (but I'm always honest that I'll likely not be taking the gig -- some people get that and just want to play for their experience, too), or, my favorite, is jam with a new band and record a cheap demo for them to use to get a drummer.

It never fails to make me appreciate those I play with regularly that much more! :thu:

It's also benefical to both parties; everyone gains experience, makes new friends, and it allows everyone to stretch their wings.

Heck, I'm talking to a punk/ rock band right now...

• Members

Damn Stratotastic, your comment makes me worry lol. I just moved to a new area and am looking for a new band. CL is sadly the only way I know how to advertise in an area where I don't know anybody. I actually live up to my ad too. But, I realize that the chance of anyone is a highly functioning band seeing it is slim. Thankully Grant has been trying to help me out.

:lol: Sorry! Obviously things vary place to place. And if it's any consolation, my current band is all former craigslist refugees, so it ain't all bad! :D

• Members

Hey Brian, I think this is cool. I do something similar on occasion; either jam with a band seeking a drummer, try out for one (but I'm always honest that I'll likely not be taking the gig -- some people get that and just want to play for their experience, too), or, my favorite, is jam with a new band and record a cheap demo for them to use to get a drummer.

It never fails to make me appreciate those I play with regularly that much more!
:thu:

It's also benefical to both parties; everyone gains experience, makes new friends, and it allows everyone to stretch their wings.

Heck, I'm talking to a punk/ rock band right now...

That's really cool...I feel kind of isolated in Austin, weirdly. In Jacksonville I knew a lot more people and a lot more bands and filled in regularly with different people. I haven't done nearly as much of that here, unfortunately, and it's something I really love doing. Maybe it's just the sheer number of different bands or that I just don't know the right people. :)

• Members

Their preference doesn't surprise me. By and large, bass guitar is the most difficult slot to fill in the band. Everyone wants to play guitar or drums and a lot of people think they can sing so they get into bands (or try). But bass? Seems uncommon.

I would look at answering an ad like "lead guitarist wanted" if you want to refresh those chops instead, rather than one where bass was also wanted.

The closest I came to doing things like that were when I recorded with my friend down here in Grand Forks nearly 20 years ago. I was looking at ads in the Fargo newspaper and saw one advertising for a lead singer. They listed bands that I liked and songs I knew I could sing, so I talked with them on the phone. My friend pleaded with me not to do it, because he didn't have a car and I would have been gone for a few hours, time that could have been put to better use for recording. So, I never did go to the audition.

Unfortunately, the recordings didn't really turn out that well, so it was a wash anyway. I wonder sometimes what would have happened if I had gone. I guess I'll never know.

• Members

I have several audio clips from various sessions posted on Bandmix, so if someone posts a Craiglist ad, they can get an idea of where I'm coming from.

But I expect the same from them, and I'm always surprised at how reluctant many bands are to record a rehearsal or send me something from one of their previous projects. The last straw was some guitar player who said he could play Steely Dan's "Josie". Sorry, dude. Not even close. I'm not packing up my stuff to come see where you all are at without something concrete to go on.

• Members

Many of the ads on CL in this area sound almost arrogant as the poster pleads for only experienced players to make contact... The ones seeking working bands only always intrigue me, because they are looking to replace someone in most cases. That could mean you are trying to join a band with members who willingly throw members under the bus! Plus the assumption that good players are already involved in projects is not always true, so start ups can work!

As mentioned earlier though, there are very few good avenues for musicians to connect.

• Members

Am I reading this correctly? You went to an audition already knowing that you weren't going to join the band?

No. I answered the ad because I was interested in what they wanted to do. I was sort of auditioning them to see if it could be something different/special that I could have in addition to my existing band. On a personal level, they passed the audition. Playing-wise, though, they failed it hardcore.

Brian V.

• Members

Funny how most good players/bands find each other through word-of-mouth? Wait, didn't I meet you through a C-List ad for Slaphappy way back? Nevermind.

It probably wasn't Craigslist, since we met in 2001 (and it wasn't in Jax then)...I think it was Folio Weekly, right? Either way, definitely one of the best ads we ever placed, considering how it all led to so many other good things for all of us, including our friendship. :)

Brian V.

• Members

No. I answered the ad because I was interested in what they wanted to do. I was sort of auditioning them to see if it could be something different/special that I could have in addition to my existing band. On a personal level, they passed the audition. Playing-wise, though, they failed it hardcore.

Brian V.

Ahhh... got it.

• Members

I went to an audition like that a few years ago. It was in a barn in Charlestown Indiana. Drummer had cerebral palsy and had real problems keeping the beat, guitarist couldn't remember parts of songs, they had {censored}tty gear...they damn near worshipped me. I drank a bunch of their beer and wound up dragging them through a few tunes and even sang lead which I never do. I was just so much better than those guys it was funny. Yeah, that happens I guess.

• Members

Nice guys, though, for sure...and it was fun running through a bunch of songs I either have never played or haven't played in a long time. And it was even more fun and challenging singing stuff in standard (because pretty much all the bands I've been in since 2000 have been 1/2-step down bands).
I even made it through "Working For The Weekend" sounding pretty good and not missing any notes (anyone who's sung the second verse of that song will know what kind of a challenge that is).

Brian V.

Wow! My first thought is if you can sing this, you are wasting your time. I could be wrong of course.

But I'd say a vocalist of your caliber who can play guitar or bass should be calling all the shots, and have the best players in HIS band.

• Members

Wow! My first thought is if you can sing this, you are wasting your time. I could be wrong of course.

But I'd say a vocalist of your caliber who can play guitar or bass should be calling all the shots, and have the best players in HIS band.

I was wasting my time, but it was nice to meet the guys. They were very good guys...just not very good players. Sometimes niceness trumps competence...just not in this case.

:)

Brian V.

Archived