Switching instruments live: confusing to people or does it show off versatility?

tim_7string

• Members

From the posts I have read over the years, it appears that a lot of the musicians here are multi-instrumentalists. I am one myself. I actually played everything except drums in my band last year, depending on the lineup and the circumstances.

Even before I joined my first real band, I started out as a keyboardist, but I eventually learned how to sing and play other instruments. Some people were confused when I switched from playing keyboards to guitar. In their mind, I was a keyboardist and that's that. Even 20+ years later, people from that time still bring up my keyboard days, even though I have primarily been a vocalist/guitarist since 1993.

There are some cover bands that will have two members switch off on guitar and bass guitar. I remember seeing one trio where they basically switched off per set. We did this sort of thing ourselves. We played as a trio in the early months when the bass player couldn't make it, switching off for a few songs here and there.

However, I made the decision to stick with my role as vocalist/lead guitarist when I asked my cousin to join. I told him we would not switch off on bass, even though he is an accomplished lead guitarist himself. He agreed, as long as he got to sing more songs.

Do you think people in the audience get confused when band members switch instruments like that or do you think people don't really care one way or the other? Maybe it's more of a musician thing where people have their idea of what you do in mind and once you step outside of that, they don't know what you are. I have certainly faced that. Defining myself now and forever more as a vocalist/guitarist may give more of an impression that I am stable.

Anyone have similar experiences with this or comments on what they think when they see bands with guys that switch off onstage?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it goes completely unnoticed by most of the audience....especially if you're switching between guitar and bass. I suspect your average non-musician doesn't understand the differences, and sees them as basically the same instrument.

• Members

Hard to be objective, but I'm always impressed when members switch instruments for a few songs. Maybe most of the crowd doesn't notice if guitar and bass switch, but how about if the drummer and bass or drummer and guitar swap out? Brings a new face to the front of the stage and shows a different facet of the band.

Of course you will kill any momentum if you waste a bunch of time while you fiddle around switching... Probably best to swap out as you start a set, then switch back after a couple of tunes while someone plugs the website/drink specials/birthdays etc! ;-)

• Members

I certainly don't think it hurts; I think when one person plays multiple instruments (for example, a singer who also plays trumpet, saxophone, and percussion, or a keyboard player who straps on an acoustic guitar), a crowd really gets respect for them.

I gotta say that when I see a band swap guitar and bass, I think it can be a bit.... kitchy. Was it necessary? Does the bass player play that song that much better on guitar? Or are you just trying to show "Hey, check it out, I can do this, too?" There's a fine line there.

But for the most part, I dig it if it doesn't detract from the pacing of the show.

• Members

I switch from keys bass to bass guitar a few times during the show and we will usually play three or more songs in that setup before I switch back. I do have the impression that no one pays much attention to me behind the racks of keys but I'm getting eye contact and smiles from the ladies when I'm playing bass guitar.

• Members

I get out from behind the drums and sing a few songs with There & Back Again. The crowd always seems to enjoy that. :thu:

We do it quickly like you should. Our singer usually makes a few wise cracks about it to the audience apologizing for letting the drummer sing.

Our bassist also plays banjo in save a horse while our singer plays bass

• Members

It doesn't bother me to see instruments being switched. It does need to happen quick if the lead talker isn't talking, though.

this... I'll run back from lead vox/rhythm guitar to drums and have our drummer come up and sing a couple of times on the show but on both songs we have it set up where there is a bass line or guitar intro which gives enough time to move into position without interrupting the music or making it awkward. It actually gives our show a lift to have him come up and do a song so we do it every time. Just make sure you are switching instruments to make your show better rather than letting someone know that everyone plays multiple instruments.

• Members

due to multiple tunings, I generally switch between three different guitars at a show. We group songs with same-tunings together so that changes are at a minimum so the fluency stays as best as possible.

I also used to play in another band where I played guitar one set and bass another. Generally people didn't notice.

• Members

From the posts I have read over the years, it appears that a lot of the musicians here are multi-instrumentalists. I am one myself. I actually played everything except drums in my band last year, depending on the lineup and the circumstances.

Even before I joined my first real band, I started out as a keyboardist, but I eventually learned how to sing and play other instruments. Some people were confused when I switched from playing keyboards to guitar. In their mind, I was a keyboardist and that's that. Even 20+ years later, people from that time still bring up my keyboard days, even though I have primarily been a vocalist/guitarist since 1993.

There are some cover bands that will have two members switch off on guitar and bass guitar. I remember seeing one trio where they basically switched off per set. We did this sort of thing ourselves. We played as a trio in the early months when the bass player couldn't make it, switching off for a few songs here and there.

However, I made the decision to stick with my role as vocalist/lead guitarist when I asked my cousin to join. I told him we would not switch off on bass, even though he is an accomplished lead guitarist himself. He agreed, as long as he got to sing more songs.

Do you think people in the audience get confused when band members switch instruments like that or do you think people don't really care one way or the other? Maybe it's more of a musician thing where people have their idea of what you do in mind and once you step outside of that, they don't know what you are. I have certainly faced that. Defining myself now and forever more as a vocalist/guitarist may give more of an impression that I am stable.

Anyone have similar experiences with this or comments on what they think when they see bands with guys that switch off onstage?

Here's my take on it:

If it adds 'something' significant to your show AND you're REALLY KNOWN (and perhaps respected, etc.) by the overwhelming majority of your audiences for what you can do on the other instrument, to the point that people in the audience will take notice when you switch, go for it, make the transition work on both ends, etc.

BUT...

1) Swapping between a stringed instrument and keys, or drums, or brass seems more impressive to me on the surface. Swapping between guitar and bass, or vice versa does not intrinsically mean much, I'd guess, to most people. A big whoop de do. I wouldn't suggest it.

2) If you're not really known/respected for it outside of your 5 good buddies and a half dozen former bandmates and/or ex-girlfriends, maybe think more about what the motivation for doing so would be. Chances are, those reasons don't hold up under scrutiny...

...and since I'm pretty certain you're not Dave Grohl, I'd suggest not doing so.

• Members

I think it's one of those things that is a bigger deal for the band members and fellow musicians than it is for the average clubgoer, who probably won't notice at all.....and if they do notice, they probably won't care.

• Moderators

I think it's fine, but as has been mentioned, you don't want to spend a lot of time switching, adjusting, tuning, yadda yadda when you do it. To much dead air is a deadly sin.

There was an (original) band from Tacoma who switched just about every song or two; it was kind of "their thing". It was actually quite entertaining to get to see each or their unique styles on each instrument, even when it was clear it wasn't the one they were best at.

On the other hand, as kmart mentioned, if a particular person playing a particular instrument is a big part of your identity as a band, you don't want to vary that too much.

• Moderators

I gotta say that when I see a band swap guitar and bass, I think it can be a bit.... kitchy. Was it necessary? Does the bass player play that song that much better on guitar? Or are you just trying to show "Hey, check it out, I can do this, too?"

For bands I've been in, a lot of the time when this is done it's because either the guitar line or bass part is a bitch to sing while playing.

• Members

I certainly don't think it hurts; I think when one person plays multiple instruments (for example, a singer who also plays trumpet, saxophone, and percussion, or a keyboard player who straps on an acoustic guitar), a crowd really gets respect for them.

This is pretty much what I did most of the time. I would switch between keyboards and guitar, or bass guitar and keyboards. Not so much the guitar/bass guitar thing.

I gotta say that when I see a band swap guitar and bass, I think it can be a bit.... kitchy. Was it necessary? Does the bass player play that song that much better on guitar? Or are you just trying to show "Hey, check it out, I can do this, too?" There's a fine line there.

My line of thinking as well. I saw Cinderella in 2005. While they put on a pretty good show, Tom Kiefer felt it was necessary to switch between electric guitar, acoustic guitar, a baby grand piano, a saxophone, a steel guitar and even played some harmonica. All while singing lead.

I felt that was overkill. :rolleyes:

• Members

I switch from keys bass to bass guitar a few times during the show and we will usually play three or more songs in that setup before I switch back. I do have the impression that no one pays much attention to me behind the racks of keys but I'm getting eye contact and smiles from the ladies when I'm playing bass guitar.

I noticed the same thing. I played bass guitar and keys in a couple of bands back in 2005-2006. It was fun to break free from the keyboards and go out on the dance floor on a few songs with my wireless. I used it to my advantage at times, dancing with some hotties. Very fun. Especially fun when I was feuding with the drummer, who was competitive with me for attention onstage. I could become mobile and get very close to people, while he was stuck there. :evil:

• Members

I think it's one of those things that is a bigger deal for the band members and fellow musicians than it is for the average clubgoer, who probably won't notice at all.....and if they do notice, they probably won't care.

My step-father usually can't tell the difference between a bass guitar and guitar. When he talks about seeing bands on tv, he will say things like "they had three guitars" when it was actually two guitars and a bass guitar.

Then again, it was years before I realized that John Lennon and George Harrison were playing a Fender VI bass guitar during the songs where Paul McCartney played piano during live tv appearances, like "Hey Jude." Didn't notice it was a larger-sized 'guitar' when I was younger.

• Members

We're about to add a full time guitar player, but in our most recent incarnation, the leader played bass as often as he played guitar. The trombone player played bass a lot and guitar on a couple songs. The sax player also plays bass; I played LH bass on a few songs. It's more about the instruments you want for a particular song - mostly full horn section with guitar optional - rather than who's playing what.

The first consideration for song list order is to minimize switching mid set.

• Members

For bands I've been in, a lot of the time when this is done it's because either the guitar line or bass part is a bitch to sing while playing.

That is certainly a good reason too. One of the songs I wrote has a bass lick in it that is almost impossible to play while singing, so I have to have someone else play that part while I sing it. It would be easier to just be the bass player and find a guitarist since bassists are in short supply, but in that particular case, I need a bassist...because I don't like leaving that part out. :lol:

• Members

In my acoustic trio, I have been noting in the song list what guitar is being used as we figure out what sounds best. Currently, my guitarist is using either a 6 or 12, so I am learning to group up the songs to minimize his work. The whistle player has a much easier time. :) Fast songs use the High D. Slow songs use the Low D. The Native America songs use the native flute.

• Members

But for the most part, I dig it if it doesn't detract from the pacing of the show.

Even though we are big offenders of this particular band phenomenon, it is driven by our bass players desire to play guitar for a while. I agree that it is perhaps a bit 'kitschy," and somewhat 'show-off-ish,' but isn't being in band alone? He's a bass player originally, then turned to guitar in past bands, and now has become our primary bass player. He's a great guitar player - bass and 6string, and it's good exercise for me by playing bass and trying to sing. But our sound is best with him playing bass.

Certainly we have to group these tunes together, and I hate when switching throws off pacing, but if it increases enjoyment for all, while not affecting the overall sound and pace, I do my best to play my part.

Archived