Switching instruments live: confusing to people or does it show off versatility?

tim_7string

• Members

I would definitely enjoy seeing someone switch off on guitar and saxophone live. When it's the same song, do you just leave your guitar strapped on and have the saxophone on a stand? How do you coordinate that?

There are only a few songs that I do that on. I'll usually play the sax solo first then the song'll break for a verse and/or refrain and in the meantime, I'll unhook the tenor sax and put on my guitar in time for the second solo or outro.

My favorite song to double on is Bryan Ferry's cover of Elvis' 'Are You Lonesome Tonight'. It's a great song 'coz the solos are simple yet powerful.

[video=youtube;SGzOIpKmMiM]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think it would kill the buzz. You have less than 7 seconds between songs before people start to leave the dance floor. Most don't really care. I don't even bother switching to a Drop-D guitar anymore.

It definitely can kill the buzz - but it doesn't have to kill the buzz if the band can get creative with seques and intros. More than 7 seconds of nothing and people will start leaving ... fill 15-20 seconds with a catchy drum/bass groove seque and an exodus is avoided. It's all in how you manage the changeovers.

• Members

I think it would kill the buzz. You have less than 7 seconds between songs before people start to leave the dance floor. Most don't really care. I don't even bother switching to a Drop-D guitar anymore.

Yes, you are correct.

Archived