S. JERSEY Craigslist adv.: LOOKING FOR PLACES TO PLAY FOR FREE

pickinatit

• Members

Found this adv. on the South Jersey Craigslist.

Local band looking to play for you! (South Jersey)

We're a local band looking to play for any venue. We have experience at festivals, benefits, churches, coffee houses, charity functions--you name it, we've played it!

We play for free just because we enjoy what we do; however, if you're feeling generous, we wouldn't turn away a donation! :)

Check us out at www.balaamsride.com to "meet" the band and listen to our music!

And either respond to this email or call XXX-XXX-XXXX to book us!

Weird part is that they sound good enough to me to get paying gigs. Not 'A' room by any means but a good to better-then-average bar band IMO.

What do you guys think ? Is my bar too low?

• Members

That's a church band looking to play some bar gigs so they can introduce drunks to Jesus.

:facepalm:Guess I should have read a little more of what they were all about.:lol:

Openly advertising for opportunities to play for free grabbed all of my attention.

• Members

:facepalm:Guess I should have read a little more of what they were all about.
:lol:

Openly advertising for opportunities to play for free grabbed all of my attention.

I actually spotted it from the first pic.

I used to have a weekly gig playing for a band like that. $100 a week, sure I'll play in your church.

It got to the point where the band leader wanted to start getting out onto the scene, playing bars, and bringing Jesus. He wanted me to book them at some local clubs. They were a great group of people that meant really well, but they weren't going to be able to pull off what they were wanting to do and I didn't want to be the one to tell them.

I kind of dodged it for a bit, then eventually the band leader called me out in front of the rest of the band "Rhino doesn't want to book us for whatever reason..." I went to the car and got a recording of a practice I'd just had with a band I was gigging with at the time and let them hear it. Then, I let them hear a recording of one of their practices. They were not up to par and got the point.

I told them that if they wanted to talk to people in bars about Jesus they should just go hangout in bars. I wanted to tell them that they fact that they (specifically the leader) wanted to go in and be the center of attention was arrogant.

They never brought it up again.

• Members

Weird part is that they sound good enough to me to get paying gigs. Not 'A' room by any means but a good to better-then-average bar band IMO.

Did you actually listen to the singing in the videos where they don't mention a guest singer? It was terrible.

• Members

Sounds like it might be a good way to get your ass kicked to me.

He ended up getting fired two months later, but I don't think it was because of this. It could have had something to do with it, but I remember the guy talking to it with the head pastor of the church and he seemed into it. This is the same pastor that came in one Sunday when a hurricane was supposed to be hitting later that day and asked the band if they knew any Clash. I was the only one that knew what he was talking about and went right into Should I Stay or Should I Go.

• Members

Found this adv. on the South Jersey Craigslist.

Local band looking to play for you! (South Jersey)

We're a local band looking to play for any venue. We have experience at festivals, benefits, churches, coffee houses, charity functions--you name it, we've played it!

We play for free just because we enjoy what we do; however, if you're feeling generous, we wouldn't turn away a donation!
:)
Check us out at
www.balaamsride.com
to "meet" the band and listen to our music!

And either respond to this email or call XXX-XXX-XXXX to book us!

Definately a P&W band... and although they don't sound that bad (singer sorta saves them) their presentation kills it for them. In my mind they'd be giving up $250-300 bar gigs in exchange for playing for free. Long breaks between songs, dead air waiting for applause etc. Clubs that depend on draw would pass even for free.

• Members

They're from S. Jersey what else would you expect? ;) I don't think they're playing anyplace of consequence, The coffee house in Pitman, the baptist church in Swedesboro and a street festival in Williamstown... Maybe they're just getting started or just like to have fun ...

Archived