New Trailer Wrap: $1500 - club and local sponsorship = $200

wheresgrant3

• Members

The last 5-6 years we've had a van and trailer wrapped that was a real attention getter and a great marketing tool. Two years ago we sold are smaller 8 x 6 trailer and we recently upgraded to a purty 6x12 V-nose. It's been bothering us for a while that it's looked so naked, so this summer we approached a designer we knew through mutual friends and priced out a full trailer wrap. Total price came to $1800 but he cut us a deal for $1500 if he could put a banner up. The idea of subsidizing the cost got our wheels turning. So our manager came up with an ingenoius plan... sell some sponsorship space on the back of the trailer. I'll admit, I didn't think that we would get much in terms of takers. We approached 4 main nightclubs that we played (3 out of 5 accepted) and two media and beverage sponsors. In total we've collected $1450 out of the $1600 to complete the wrap. Three clubs purchased 3x2 spots on the back trailer door for $250 each, the local radio sponsor went in with a 2 1/2 x 2 1/2 square for $150 and Jager took the front V for $400.

The pics below only show 1/2 the wrap complete. We participated in an annual parade 2 weeks ago and wanted our portion of the wrap done in time for the event. We're waiting of a few logos yet but phase 2 should happen this weekend.

trailer3.jpg

trailer4.jpg

Trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

Response at shows have been terrific. It's like having a big billboard everywhere we play. Last weekend we played our last seasonal summertime outdoor club date on the water fron and we heard from many how they saw the trailer, some just stumbled on us, didn't even know we were scheduled that night.

I know some on this board are not thrilled with any sort of wraps, signage or anything identifying property. I respect that. We live in a semi-rural area and property theft and petty crime is pretty low. The trailer is locked up on private property between shows. We've survived 7-8 years with a vehicle being labeled. Not to say it could 'never' happen but we're all willing to take the risk of being a target versus the reward of the extra marketing and attention.

• Members

That's awesome, Grant. I'm all about signage - it's how you get your name out there, and you want people driving by going "Oh, hey, NIAB is in town tonight!" Heck, maybe they'll see you on the way to the show. I've probably gone to ~a dozen shows like that in my life that I learned of due to a trailer or touring bus.

Plus, it looks AWESOME! thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by race81 View Post
$1500????? crap dats high. I could wrap two of our racecars a couple of years ago for that, and your just doing the easy trailer....man that seems high.
We shopped around. Most quotes were $1400-1800. It was a reasonable offer give the complexity of the wrap (artwork included door trim) and the design work. . He did a great job too. Not even a wrinkle.

I live in NY. Maybe $1500 is expensive in Missouri.

• Members

yep a couple of years ago a complete racecar wrap could be done for 6-800$ installed. Difference between locations I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant3 View Post
We shopped around. Most quotes were $1400-1800. It was a reasonable offer give the complexity of the wrap (artwork included door trim) and the design work. . He did a great job too. Not even a wrinkle.

I live in NY. Maybe $1500 is expensive in Missouri.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by sventvkg View Post
The only issue I have is that it's advertising for thieves.
While this is certainly a legitimate concern, I don't know that it increases the risk of theft , as compared to an unmarked trailer.

Over the years, I've known a number of people who own and use enclosed trailers. Some of them are bands, some of them use them for cars, some use them for landscaping/lawn equipment, etc. One thing they all have in common is that virtually every one of them has had a trailer broken into or stolen outright....and I think they were all unmarked.

I suspect that thieves probably aren't real particular about which trailer they break into. If they see a trailer, they probably assume that it contains something of value.....and they're going to try to break into it, regardless of what the paint job looks like.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by n9ne View Post
While this is certainly a legitimate concern, I don't know that it increases the risk of theft , as compared to an unmarked trailer.

Over the years, I've known a number of people who own and use enclosed trailers. Some of them are bands, some of them use them for cars, some use them for landscaping/lawn equipment, etc. One thing they all have in common is that virtually every one of them has had a trailer broken into or stolen outright....and I think they were all unmarked.

I suspect that thieves probably aren't real particular about which trailer they break into. If they see a trailer, they probably assume that it contains something of value.....and they're going to try to break into it, regardless of what the paint job looks like.
Pretty much the case. Unless someone was musician themselves they be pretty disappointed with the find.

#1-alot of gear in the trailer is in bulky road cases. Not easy to get to and would require at least 2-3 people to break down the trailer to get to anything of value. They'd probably destroy most of it or leave it behind trying to find something them could sell.

#2- it's road worn- alot of our stuff in the trailer is stickered and easily identifiable and not easy to fence locally.

#3- Most B&E want something they can break into with complete silence and little attention. Breaking into a trailer that is wrapped in the dead of night is alot more conspicuous than one that is not IMO. Especially if they seem to be struggling with the gear.

I think most hope they can find a 4 wheeler or motor bike. Something they can wheel out or drive away. We had one incident 2 years ago when our cars were broken into. It was in broad daylight in a municipal parking lot and we were playing a riverboat cruise. The perps used a bent screwdriver to pop the driver window, climbed in and went through the glove compartments. They took electronic adapters, GPS, but left a napsack full of xlrs. Our van was broken into as well but the trailer (that was wrapped) was left alone. It was full of empty cases anyway. They wanted to get in and out. Not spend any time rummaging through stuff.

It doesn't mean it could happen, but I believe for where we live it's highly unlikely.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by lsits View Post
So where are the adverts?
Coming either this weekend or the end of the month. We're waiting on artwork from two of the clubs. We paid upfront for the wrap so we'll collect the cash from the clubs after we show up with the final product. They can just tack on the pay to our 'guarantee' for the night.

To be honest, the 3rd club was on the fence until he saw the wrap partially completed last weekend. It also helped that his local competitors were signed up. wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by StratGuy22 View Post
Psssssssst show us inside!!!!

idea.gif

Um, sure... but you won't be happy with 'the pack'

IMG_0616_zps6a134765.jpg

IMG_0619_zps0d5d1797.jpg

These were taken right after playing a parade. We had to tear down the float, pack the trailer, and move off the street in less than 20 minutes. Then we drove an hour away and set up for a show that night.
parade_zps200f5948.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Wrap is finally done. Hurricane Sand-hag certainly delayed things. One club dropped out and we replaced him with a wedding client's paving business. Jager also bowed out. They didn't have the funds left in the budget. We increased the size of the squares and upcharged charged $300 per square. $1200 in total. It looks a little like a diner placement mat but hey... anything to subsidize the cost was worth it. wink.gif

Nutspics.jpg

nutspics2.jpg

nutspics3.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoast123 View Post
That's a shame the Jaeger rep couldn't have sourced some regional or national dough but looks like you've really made a client happy and he'll be on your side for ever. Looks good Grant, I really like the porthole graphic on the front corner. Is it emulated on the other side?
Jager has given us a ton of support in the form of swag, banners, posters, t-shirts, etc. Not entirely disappointed they didn't pull through. I'm actually surprised the local vendors came through. Most are 'all talk'. I wonder if the ones that declined will kick themselves when they see their competition on there.

Yes the porthole is on both sides. That's where the Jager copy was going.

598521_4886956449035_1787255042_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Archived