So I'm playing a wedding tomorrow...

modulusman

• Members

Booked to play a wedding tomorrow with 13 invited guests.
:lol:
I'm kind of surprised they hired a band. The last wedding we played was for about 400. Just wondering if anyone else has played one this small?

13? Wow, that's small. We've played for 40-50 people a few times. Which is still usually sufficient to keep a dance floor full, but I often wonder why they want to spend so much money for so few people.

But 13? I would say just go into it with low expectations and hopefully you'll be pleasantly surprised! If they are 13 people determined to have a great time, it could still be a lot of fun!

• Members

I'm kind of surprised they hired a band. The last wedding we played was for about 400. Just wondering if anyone else has played one this small?

We played a show where they flew us up for a pvt event where there was like 25 people. Cost them a bundle, but they had a good time. It was a good time for us too. Got out of town, they fed us BBQ all weekend and we flew back home on sunday and played a country club gig as soon as we landed in harlingen. Thee shows that weekend. They are what they are. When we do beach weddings they are always small. If people have a good time it works for me.

• Members

The wedding is at the guest ranch we play at. Apparently when the band starts playing any staff that is still working there is invited to join in. The band always gets fed when we play weddings and from what I was told the dinner was fairly expensive so the food should be top notch.

• Members

The wedding is at the guest ranch we play at. Apparently when the band starts playing any staff that is still working there is invited to join in. The band always gets fed when we play weddings and from what I was told the dinner was fairly expensive so the food should be top notch.

Sounds like a nice low key weekend.

• Members

:thu: We've become quite the discerning conniseurs of wedding food over the last couple of years. :lol: Some of it has been awesome. Others---not so much.

Best was a wedding at a pvt home where they served up filet mignon and lobster. Sometimes the food and the open bar alone makes the gig worth it!

• Members

The BL said it was about $70.00 a plate.

I really have no idea what the going rate for good catered wedding food is, so I couldn't tell you if that's expensive or cheap. All I know is that the bill for most weddings is simply outrageous. For whatever reason, a client emailed us their expense sheet for a wedding a few weeks back and it was well over $10K before factoring in the cost of the band or the wedding dress, and this was for what was probably the least lavish wedding we've ever played. Just an outdoor beach wedding with so-so buffet style food and a bar that was only open for an hour or so before it became a cash bar. Stuff adds up quick!

• Members

For whatever reason, a client emailed us their expense sheet for a wedding a few weeks back and it was well over $10K before factoring in the cost of the band or the wedding dress, and this was for what was probably the least lavish wedding we've ever played. Just an outdoor beach wedding with so-so buffet style food and a bar that was only open for an hour or so before it became a cash bar. Stuff adds up quick!

Yeah, it's insane. Both of those figures are on the low side, particularly the $10k. My wedding was done pretty cheaply and I think it was somewhere around $15k. The photographer alone was close to $5k.

$70/plate doesn't get you much if you have a couple entree options and an open bar. You could be looking at $50+/person for a top shelf open bar. My ex's niece got married a couple years ago and from what I could gather by looking at the venue's web site, I figured it to be in the $200/person range and it wasn't all that extravagant.

-Dan.

• Members

13 invited guests? I guess that doesn't count the uninvited guests or crashers, huh? (Let me know which ranch and I'll show up with a date!)

Just kidding - I have reservations in West Yellowstone for two nights, after we play at an event in Townsend on Saturday. Mark C.

• Members

13 invited guests? I guess that doesn't count the uninvited guests or crashers, huh? (Let me know which ranch and I'll show up with a date!)

Just kidding - I have reservations in West Yellowstone for two nights, after we play at an event in Townsend on Saturday. Mark C.

Are you playing outside in Townsend? My old drummers band http://www.reverbnation.com/jamelution is playing there tonight outside I think. It is going to be cold.

• Members

Are you playing outside in Townsend? My old drummers band
is playing there tonight outside I think. It is going to be cold.

Yep. We play during the day, so it shouldn't be too bad. (And because its the bagpipe band, we'll have LOTS of wool to be wearing.) It may even be more comfortable than the heat and humidity of Washington DC last week. Enjoy the wedding gig. Mark C.

• Members

Yeah, it's insane. Both of those figures are on the low side, particularly the $10k. My wedding was done pretty cheaply and I think it was somewhere around $15k. The photographer alone was close to $5k.

$70/plate doesn't get you much if you have a couple entree options and an open bar. You could be looking at $50+/person for a top shelf open bar. My ex's niece got married a couple years ago and from what I could gather by looking at the venue's web site, I figured it to be in the $200/person range and it wasn't all that extravagant.

-Dan.

We were cheap as hell. got a preacher to do it with just the couple that introduced us and a friend who shot some photos. gave the preacher a benji, bought a bottle of crown, paid the dinner tab after , and went back to the lake house to party down. Bout 300 bucks at the most. We were older and just didnt want to deal with a big wedding.

• Members

Yep. We play during the day, so it shouldn't be too bad. (And because its the bagpipe band, we'll have LOTS of wool to be wearing.) It may even be more comfortable than the heat and humidity of Washington DC last week. Enjoy the wedding gig. Mark C.

yeah but are you wearing a kilt. You might freeze your berries off.:lol:

• Members

Well the wedding reception turned out to be good time. There were actually only 12 people counting the bride and groom. At the dance about 20 employees showed up. The bride and groom were an older couple from Toronto and the wedding party was immediate family. The food was excellent, a 5 course meal.

• Members

Sounds like a nice time!!

:thu:

I was a little worried because at the last minute they decided to have the ceromony right where the band was to set up. I was using my Presonus studiolive 16.0.2 for the first time and needed to get everything dialed in. Is that is a 24.4.2 in your avatar?

• Members

Yeah, I played a wedding back in 2008 that was similar to that. I think maybe 24 people tops in the room (including the 4-piece band)? It was at a hotel ballroom (smallish room). We were cheap enough I guess, so that's probably why we were hired instead of a DJ. :D

• Members

I was a little worried because at the last minute they decided to have the ceromony right where the band was to set up. I was using my Presonus studiolive 16.0.2 for the first time and needed to get everything dialed in. Is that is a 24.4.2 in your avatar?

It is a 24.4.2 how do you like the 16.0.2?

Archived