Cover Bands: What new (or newish) Top 40 songs are working for you?

New Trail

• Members

These work well with our crowd. YMMV

Dynamite - Taio Cruz
Tonight Tonight - Hot Chelle Rae
Raise Your Glass - Pink
Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5
Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO
Calle Ocho - Pitbull
Give Me Everything - Pitbull
Good Feeling - Flo Rida
She's So Mean - Matchbox Twenty
What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction
Everybody Talks - Neon Trees
Drive By - Train
Whistle - Flo Rida

These are what we are working on for next gig:

Die Young- Kesha
Live Like We're Young- One Direction
Good Time- Owl City

• Members

Everybody Talks - Neon Trees (also Animal we bring back every once in a while)
Forget You - Cee Lo
Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5
Lonely Boy - Black Keys
We Are Young - Fun

Working on:
Locked Out of Heaven - Bruno Mars
Too Close - Alex Clare

Jeff...One Direction huh? Interesting. Do those 12 year olds go over in the clubs??? Live While We're Young actually seems like a good choice for a club considering the lyrics and the sing-along style "oh oh oh's"

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post

Jeff...One Direction huh? Interesting. Do those 12 year olds go over in the clubs??? Live While We're Young actually seems like a good choice for a club considering the lyrics and the sing-along style "oh oh oh's"
We've been doing What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction since the summer and it works well with our crowd. Yep, I was surprised too! That's why I don't knock anything anymore. If someone brings in a song they want to do we'll give it a shot- if it works it stays, if not its GONE! We all give it a lot of thought before we suggest something, we think about how our crowd will react and we don't think selfishly about the songs we want to play- (otherwise our singer would want to do Periphery tunes! HA!)

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by jeff42 View Post
We've been doing What Makes You Beautiful - One Direction since the summer and it works well with our crowd. Yep, I was surprised too! That's why I don't knock anything anymore. If someone brings in a song they want to do we'll give it a shot- if it works it stays, if not its GONE! We all give it a lot of thought before we suggest something, we think about how our crowd will react and we don't think selfishly about the songs we want to play- (otherwise our singer would want to do Periphery tunes! HA!)
I hear you loud and clear. As far as we've come, and don't get me wrong we're playing songs now that we NEVER would've played a year ago, I still get the looks (and the responses) of..."ooh...really? That song? It's so gay. Come on. Blah blah blah." Not from everyone in the band, and not every song. Just some of us, some of the time.

We still haven't TOTALLY dropped that dumbass attitude. Somehow, and it boggles my mind, but only certain cheesy lame songs are OK. We can do Take on Me or Don't You Want Me Baby, and those songs are somehow cool because they're 80s cheese. But Sexyback or I Like It by that douche Enrique Iglasias...that is somehow off limits because they're just too lame. And apparently Jessie's Girl is some remarkable musical acheievement. I just don't get it. rolleyes.gif

Like I said we've come a long way and we're way out of the box we used to be in. But if we could (and I think we will eventually) just drop that attitude altogether, we'd be so much better off. It took me 3 months to finally get everyone to do We Are Young...now it kills. I'm not saying my song selections are ALWAYS spot on...but it's a wonder we all just don't go into EVERY selection with an open mind already. You never know what'll work sometimes! idea.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarguy19 View Post
We still haven't TOTALLY dropped that dumbass attitude. Somehow, and it boggles my mind, but only certain cheesy lame songs are OK. We can do Take on Me or Don't You Want Me Baby, and those songs are somehow cool because they're 80s cheese. But Sexyback or I Like It by that douche Enrique Iglasias...that is somehow off limits because they're just too lame. And apparently Jessie's Girl is some remarkable musical acheievement. I just don't get it. rolleyes.gif
This went on for years with my full band "There & Back Again." With the Ostrich Hat its easier because of a few things, One is there is only three of us. If I can just get one of the other guys on board the 3rd guy almost has to go along with it or feel like a jerk... (sometimes the 3rd guy is me BTW) icon_lol.gif

If there is resistance to a certain song It is never "UGGH I hate that song" though it comes from a position of "do you really think THAT is going to work with our crowd?" We all just want to make the bet setlist for our crowd.

There is one rule with Ostrich Hat. If the song flops 3X it is GONE.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jeff42

View Post

If there is resistance to a certain song It is never "UGGH I hate that song" though it comes from a position of "do you really think THAT is going to work with our crowd?"

Yes...this is it to a T. The reason for not believing in it though...is it's just too lame.

• Members

Songs we've added in the last 6 months:

We Are Young- Fun! (Killer)
Good Feeling-FloRida (filler)
Feels So Close-Calvin Harris (we do a smal part of the song in a medley... filler but works)
Tonight is the Night-Outtasight (filler)
YMCA- The Village People (we actually brought this back... but we haven't done this since 2006-KILLER)
Gangnam Style-PSY (killer)
Let's Go-Calvin Harris (filler)
Crazy In Love-Beyonce (an oldie but we never have covered it. A great 1st set intro)
N****z In Paris-Kayne, Eminem, JayZ (crowd sorta sits in awe... the scream out the 'Mary Kate & Ashley' part
All I Do Is Win-DJ Khaled (great reaction from the crowd)
Call Me Maybe- CRJ (crowd sings or we pull a girl from the audience)
New York, New York-Sinatra (learned it for a wedding and we have done it as an encore every so often.)
Shipping Up To Boston-Drop Kick Murphys (a little more than 6 months... added it for St. Pats-don't do it every show but when we do it gets a big reaction)

Songs we've added and dropped in 6 months
Drive By-Train (Filler)
Payphone-Maroon 5 (singer was really reaching... wasn't comfortable so we bagged it)
Fire & Rain-Adele (a noble attempt... actaully sounded good with a male singer)
Mr Saxobeat- (added it too late)
Young Wild & Free (we just couldn't pull it off. too mellow a tune)

• Members
There is one rule with Ostrich Hat. If the song flops 3X it is GONE.
This is a great rule. I think I'm going to implement it in our band. Some songs on that list include Lonely Boy, All I Wanted Was A Car and When You Were Young. My drummer loves playing that last one and my cousin sings it, but it just never goes over. So I guess I will have to be the bad guy and eliminate it. wink.gif

867-5309/Jenny has been close, but still has a bit of life in it as does Jessie's Girl. rolleyes.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string View Post

867-5309/Jenny has been close, but still has a bit of life in it as does Jessie's Girl. rolleyes.gif
If the gig crowd is mostly 20 somethings they hear these two songs and the reaction is... meh.

If the gig crowd is mostly 30 somethings or 40 somethings they fair better.

We usually don't even play them unless we know the crowd will really enjoy them and more and more they don't.

• Members

I would second shipping up to boston and Everybody Talks. We used to do California gurls where the drummer would rap some of the snoop part but it was really like a beastie boys type thing. Hit or miss so we dropped it

• Members
If the gig crowd is mostly 20 somethings they hear these two songs and the reaction is... meh.

If the gig crowd is mostly 30 somethings or 40 somethings they fair better.

We usually don't even play them unless we know the crowd will really enjoy them and more and more they don't.
I would have thought this would be the logic here too. Not so much. I had a crowd of twentysomethings screaming for CCR and Johnny Cash, not for bands like fun. or any other newer bands like that. They definitely didn't like The Black Keys or other newer songs we were playing. idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wesg

View Post

Lonely Boy flopped? Seriously? Did you forget to do the dance?

Heh heh indeed. It seems to work for us - even without the dance. But if they are also not responding to the other newer songs maybe they are just not that kind of crowd...

• Members

I've had this footage around for a while if anyone's interested in watching it.

I don't have Gangnam Style on video yet.... but Sexy And I know It, Party Rock Anthem and Dynamite... just part of a long flowing medley we cover that's about 15 minutes long and full of modern dance stuff. The footage is terrible, unedited and the cameras all over the place. But it's uninterrrupted and it gives a peak into modern dance music played by a band (no backing tracks, sequencing involved) the energy level and the crowd response. We wedged Gangnam in between Sexy and Party Rock Anthem.

I'd skip around through the video... but these songs and others mentioned here have been pure gold for us. It helps to have the additional lighting and players on board to help sell it too. We're also playing this stuff faster than the recordings.

• Members

If we had the ability to rehearse more, we'd no doubt have many more modern dance tunes in our songlist. We just aren't in a very good position to transition a lot of current songs that are only going to be hot for a few weeks in and out of the songlist, so consequently, the number of newer songs we do is relatively small and we instead rely a lot on older "classic" tunes.

I've become gun-shy about calling a rehearsal to learn songs that might not stick. I'm pretty certain, for example, that we'd be getting a great response with something like "What Makes You Beautiful"---or at least we would have a few weeks ago. But "how long will it last?" always seems to be the million dollar question.

Archived