How many of you dress for the occasion?

wesg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, I try to dress with at least some sense of fashion awareness, and try to bring at least a little "sexy". Now, I may be the furthest thing from "sexy" in real life....but the ladies in the crowd don't need to know that. smile.gif

Rarely will you see me in a tee shirt and jeans. The way I see it, the band's look is their business card....and regardless what musicians like to believe, image makes a much stronger first impression with audiences than the music itself.

IMO, presenting a lackadaisical look to the audience is akin to painting a performance car with whatever house paint you have sitting in the garage. It won't matter what's under the hood or how well it performs on the track....most of the people who see it will think it's a POS.

That being said...my current band has no discernable image to speak of. Every member dresses pretty much however he wants, and we don't worry about it. But then, we're just a bunch of lazy-ass weekend warriors playing local watering holes. If I had any belief that it was going anywhere long-term, you can bet I would make it a priority.

• Members

bassred does have a pretty good look - I wish I could pull that off, I shaved my head once in high school, and boy, was that ever mistake. Ever seen that SNL skit with Dan Aykroyd, "Coneheads"? Yeah. I didn't need a costume to blend in.

Some good ideas in here, thanks. The guys with the matching flowers on their lapels look pretty cool, too. That's not for me, but I like the idea of a basic concept with a unifying accessory.

My problem is that I have *zero* sense of style, which makes projecting natural cool particularly challenging. Working on it, though! I have been wearing Levis 501s and T-shirts as my primary non-work outfit since late 1987. I recently started wearing thermal pull-over shirts instead of T-shirts. More colourful options; warmer, too..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by wesg View Post

Some good ideas in here, thanks. The guys with the matching flowers on their lapels look pretty cool, too. That's not for me, but I like the idea of a basic concept with a unifying accessory.
That's similar to what we do. It's pretty simple: the guys all wear black or grey (usually black jeans) and then we call a "color" for the night and everybody wears whatever accessory they have that is that color--be it tie, scarf, shirt, jacket, hat. The girls fit in with the color scheme too.

• Members
My problem is that I have *zero* sense of style, which makes projecting natural cool particularly challenging. Working on it, though! I have been wearing Levis 501s and T-shirts as my primary non-work outfit since late 1987. I recently started wearing thermal pull-over shirts instead of T-shirts. More colourful options; warmer, too..
Thats a style, and a darn decent one if you ask me. I am basically the same since 1974 or 5.
No reason thats not appropriate for the av bar gig, just juice it up a little. The advice about the band being cooler than the patrons is spot on, but you don't have to overdo it or try too hard.
Find a few "cool"(to you) T shirts with logos that arn't over the top gaudy but that you don't see every day(in other words don't buy em at Walmart, and stay away from the trendy stuff you see the teenagers wearing). Concert Ts are a standby for me. I've got a couple from Springsteen and Stones tours, plus a couple of obscure acoustic acts, I'm prone to pull out. I saw Black Oak at a little local festival last summer and picked up one of their T Shirts in black. Find a pair of comfortable but a little quirky shoes or boots. Pick up a few collared shirts in darker patterns. Find yourself a cool hat, if you are the type than feels comfortable pulling that off.

Theres always the aging rockstar's fall back, all ways looks good all the time most any venue, black.
Get some black jeans, black Ts, and black shoes(or boots).
Need fancier, black slacks and a black collared shirt.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Pine Apple Slim View Post
Thats a style, and a darn decent one if you ask me. I am basically the same since 1974 or 5.
No reason thats not appropriate for the av bar gig, just juice it up a little. The advice about the band being cooler than the patrons is spot on, but you don't have to overdo it or try too hard.
Good points. I think a lot people think that when you talk about "looking cooler than the audience" that you're talking going out there in a monkey suit or something. It really doesn't take much since most audiences dress like {censored}. It just means being slightly more purposeful about things. Heck, just making sure your clothes FIT well is often enough. I constantly amazed at how many people (guys) walk around in clothes that are the wrong size for them. But just some nice, well-fitting clothes and something extra to "rock" the look---a bald head or sunglasses is enough to do the trick for a lot of guys---is plenty.

As far as having the same look since the 70s, I've bascially done the same thing too. Always been a "skinny jeans" guy. Even when they were way out of style I still wore them on stage. Had to special order them from Europe for a few years there since they weren't even AVAILABLE anywhere in the US. Now they are back in style and I can pick 'em up at K-Mart icon_lol.gif

• Members

Say, that's a good idea. I read a post you wrote about that in 2011, but I hadn't quite contextualized it properly. I guess your avatar is an "Orange" day.

Hey, does Kick Start Your Party have any significant at-gig branding besides the colour-coordination? Anybody else?

I'll tell you, one band I *don't* want to look like, even though they have lots of brand identity is Rich K. and the Allnighters --

-- just not my thing.

• Members
Say, that's a good idea. I read a post you wrote about that in 2011, but I hadn't quite contextualized it properly. I guess your avatar is an "Orange" day.
Yep. Orange T-shirt under gray/silver jacket, black jeans and black boots. Simple and done. (Oh...orange undies too, but don't tell anyone.)

Hey, does Kick Start Your Party have any significant at-gig branding besides the colour-coordination?
Not sure what you mean by "at-gig branding"? I guess we don't since I don't know what you mean icon_lol.gif We put out business cards and have our logo displayed behind us during breaks, but that's about it. I've thought about doing things like having doo-dads to give out with our logo on them, but I've never thought it would end up being that cost-effective.

I'll tell you, one band I *don't* want to look like, even though they have lots of brand identity is Rich K. and the Allnighters --
-- just not my thing.
Getting THAT matchy-matchy is way too much for me and a VERY dated look, IMO. I don't think (I KNOW) you don't have to carry it that far so that everyone in the band looks like they are part of the same group.

Drummer's awesome though. icon_lol.gif

• Members
-- just not my thing.
lol.
Propts to em, but I ain't gonna do that down at the local watering hole either. They look like they came straight from the Holiday Inn circa 1973.
I get it, its a nostalgia thing, but no way I'd be caught dead looking like that unless I was in a comedy lounge act.

• Members
Had to special order them from Europe for a few years there since they weren't even AVAILABLE anywhere in the US. Now they are back in style and I can pick 'em up at K-Mart
Most of my stuff come from Walmart or Kmart. Just stay away from the trendy stuff the sell to the teenagers. Need black pants or jeans, a plain solid color T, a nice enough collared shirt, some black canvas tennis shoes? No prob. I like Target too. Just make sure it fits. Not way baggy, and not so tight your beer belly is hangin out.
Need a cool hat? Go down to that downtown place where the brothers shop. I picked up a dark blue short brimed Fedora for $20 5-6 yrs ago at a place like that I get compliments on every time. All I did was take the feather outsmile.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Members

We definitely need to start dressing better. We've changed what we play (added a LOT more modern pop covers - phasing out almost all of the classic rock stuff), so dressing "rock" like we usually do probably isn't going to cut it as our audience changes.

• Moderators
Good question, Dave -- I should have given more info!

The non-specific occasion I'm wondering about is the low-end bar-band stuff. More formal stuff is easy, I'm always told what to wear so I don't need to think about it. Like, corporate parties, weddings, etc, you find out what the guests are wearing and step it up a notch. Big Band work, there is always a uniform.

My latest project is your prototypical covers-playing rock band; I'm trying to figure out how to look better and maybe convince my new band mates that they want to do the same; right now we have been wearing nice versions of our own daily dress. I saw some old footage, and cringed a bit when I saw one of them in shorts and sandals behind a music stand. My long-term goal is to sort this band out, and take it into private parties, weddings, corporate events, etc.. So professionalism on all fronts is one place where I am spending a lot of effort.

What actually got me thinking about this is that I got a call to sub on piano in a 10-piece "Big" Band New Year's Eve; the booking agent wants black pants, a black shirt, and a white tie. So I have to buy at least a shirt and a tie soon, heh. All of my suits are dark and I like to wear coloured shirts with pattern ties.

Rock bands around here always look sloppy to me. Blues bands tend to dress nicer. Jazz combos, no question, they always look decent.

I noticed Wade even dresses up for rehearsal. Not such a bad idea, I like to practice how I perform at least a few times to work out any surprise kinks.
Quote Originally Posted by roamingbard13 View Post
Low-paying bar gigs? That's us. Most places we go with dark jeans, nice button downs or t-shirts, and nice shoes. Not that hard really. We are mostly in our mid-20s though, so we really just dress like we would when we go out anyways.
Hmmm...

I think there is a mistaken outlook on this topic. A lot of guys are getting caught up in "nice clothes". A button down shirt and nice shoes and... COME ON!!! That's all fine, but it is so reactionary as opposed to taking initiative. Being told as opposed to TELLING! That sort of thinking guarantees you won't offend. Is that really all you're concerned with? Not offending? How about making a statement with your clothing. How about complimenting your music with your clothing. How about putting some time and thought into how you present yourself as a musician??????

That is half the fun of this whole thing. Embrace it. I'm having a hard time understanding how this can even be a question...

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
We definitely need to start dressing better. We've changed what we play (added a LOT more modern pop covers - phasing out almost all of the classic rock stuff), so dressing "rock" like we usually do probably isn't going to cut it as our audience changes.
Kind of funny timing - my new cover band I'm working up does a lot more dancier stuff with some funkier tracks, and my default rock image over the years may not suffice. This works well, because I'm still gettin' a few years older, so throwing on a different shirt with the jeans vs. a black t-shirt may be in my cards, too.

But I ain't becoming no hipster!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
Hmmm...

I think there is a mistaken outlook on this topic. A lot of guys are getting caught up in "nice clothes". A button down shirt and nice shoes and... COME ON!!! That's all fine, but it is so reactionary as opposed to taking initiative. Being told as opposed to TELLING! That sort of thinking guarantees you won't offend. Is that really all you're concerned with? Not offending? How about making a statement with your clothing. How about complimenting your music with your clothing. How about putting some time and thought into how you present yourself as a musician??????

That is half the fun of this whole thing. Embrace it. I'm having a hard time understanding how this can even be a question...
I couldn't agree with you more, and that's something I've tried to talk about here a lot. And that's certainly the attitude of the musical generation that you and I come from.

The problem seems to be for a lot of bands/musicians on this forum (which is likely why the question gets asked so much in the first place) is a combination of dealing with the mindset a lot of players have that they think it's BEST to dress like {censored} and "let the music speak for itself" ---the "anti-statement statement look"--- and the fact that so many people here are older.

A young, skinny kid can get on stage and still rock a pair of shorts, and t-shirt and a ballcap pretty hard. A 240-lb 45 year old dude with a bit of a beer gut? Not so much.

So the conversation, unfortunately, has gone from "how can I get the guys in my band to make a statement with our clothing?" to "how can I keep everyone from looking like complete {censored} onstage and actually HURTING our overall presentation?"

And, like so many other things here--bands that already have the mindset to do stuff like make a statement with their clothing don't need to come to an internet forum and ask about it. They're too busy just doing it.

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by guido61 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more, and that's something I've tried to talk about here a lot. And that's certainly the attitude of the musical generation that you and I come from.

The problem seems to be for a lot of bands/musicians on this forum (which is likely why the question gets asked so much in the first place) is a combination of dealing with the mindset a lot of players have that they think it's BEST to dress like {censored} and "let the music speak for itself" ---the "anti-statement statement look"--- and the fact that so many people here are older.

A young, skinny kid can get on stage and still rock a pair of shorts, and t-shirt and a ballcap pretty hard. A 240-lb 45 year old dude with a bit of a beer gut? Not so much.

So the conversation, unfortunately, has gone from "how can I get the guys in my band to make a statement with our clothing?" to "how can I keep everyone from looking like complete {censored} onstage and actually HURTING our overall presentation?"

And, like so many other things here--bands that already have the mindset to do stuff like make a statement with their clothing don't need to come to an internet forum and ask about it. They're too busy just doing it.
well said

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guido61

View Post

A 260-lb 44 year old with a big beer gut can't do it either.. facepalm.gif

• Moderators
Quote Originally Posted by mstreck View Post
A 260-lb 44 year old with a big beer gut can't do it either.. facepalm.gif
But you know... he can. I'd rather see the old John Popper than some button down young thin dude trying not to rock the boat. Frosty with Lee Micheals, Bear with Canned Heat, Mama Cass, on and on. Weight and age don't have to be a limiting factor. Leonard Cohen is mid 70's now and still cuts a nice outline on stage. Pavarotti, Buddy Miles and BB King. Adelle. The singer from Fall Out Boys. Chunkies. And all great looking performers.

It's the attitude, thought, and as a result of both of those, the natural style of the performer that should come through. Not "nice shirt and shoes with black jeans".

How is it uncool to care? And more importantly, to have fun with it.

Archived