Ignorant Band-Mates Stories

Tullsterx

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nchangin

View Post

Ha been there done that. Yup one two three four all drummers need to know right?

and I love it when they insist on showing me the beat or when they "speak" the beat.

Sometimes you can do the exact beat and guitar player will say it's wrong.

Ahh yes, I know what it's like as well. It's the same with when someone will "clap" the tempo they think a song should be at, oblivious to the fact that they can't even clap in time!

Guitarists telling drummers "it's easy, just play along" is another phrase which gets my goat, especially when they throw a song (which you've never heard before) in on the spot at a gig. Showing me the chords doesn't help, I need to hear the record first to know where to start with the drums! There's nothing worse than seeing a member of any cover band trying to improvise parts to songs which they blatantly haven't ever listened to.

Quote Originally Posted by tim_7string

View Post

I do admit that I find it irritating when drummers turn the tables and try to go "na na na-nuh nah" when they are describing how the guitar part is supposed to go for me. icon_lol.gif

That's why I learnt to play guitar, I can watch for the chords, pick out the part which the guitarist playing wrong and say "oi, you're doing it wrong on the E, give me the guitar and I'll show you" wink.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I tend not to like taking jabs at fellow players but... sometimes. Like there's the harp player sitting on his amp as the most shrill tone goes right past his ankles like a spike to my skull (ie, not his ears) and he stop practice and tells everyone, while still sitting on his amp, "Can you guys please turn down!!! It's not even that you're loud, but man, I can't hear myself."

Dude. How 'bout you point that thing in your face and not mine?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tullsterx

View Post

We have a drummer that does this, that we play with from time to time. . . we asked him about it and he just brushed it off. . . I think it happens when he's not totally sure how the song goes, so he just hesistantly clicks it off to see what happens and then catches up when everything kicks in. . . he's really a pretty great drummer, just a little space-case, and a bit of a pill-popper, those two factors are probably related, and related to his weird click-offs. And he struggles with reggae as well. . . maybe he should start smoking the weed instead.

Most guys struggle with Reggae that are drummers because most of the time they can't place the kick and I have to {censored}in show them and I am the keyboard player. That and the fact they don't respect the music and think it's easy. The weed has nothing to do with it just in case anyone wants to know.

• Members

Raggae often based off samba and bosa nova beats and sometimes use snare 1 and 3 which is the bass drum in most other styles of music so yes typical rock drummer cannot feel out reggae if they have no experience with it, but regae to me is more improvisional anyway which makes it a funner style, also dynamics are fun both drums and cymbals with reggae mon

• Members

This is kinda different from what most of the posts on this thread, but I played in a band once where the guitar player was a full of dumbassery. We did a show once that was an hour and half from his house. He was also the guy that owned and drove the band truck. He showed up at the gig that rainy day in the truck and had traveled the entire distance with the roll up door on the back in the up position. How nothing fell out of the truck is a miracle and some gear got wet but nothing was damaged. He was also one of these silver spoon kids with more money than he had sense. So glad to not be in a band with that hack anymore!

• Members

This is kinda different from what most of the posts on this thread, but I played in a band once where the guitar player was a full of dumbassery. We did a show once that was an hour and half from his house. He was also the guy that owned and drove the band truck. He showed up at the gig that rainy day in the truck and had traveled the entire distance with the roll up door on the back in the up position. How nothing fell out of the truck is a miracle and some gear got wet but nothing was damaged. He was also one of these silver spoon kids with more money than he had sense. So glad to not be in a band with that hack anymore!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wesg

View Post

I once had a band mate who thought a melodic minor scale was something that weighed people who extract rocks from the ground by singing.

Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.

But I am getting so {censored}ing sick of this discussion: "No, I'm not playing a {censored}ing B major chord, that would sound {censored}ing retarded you dumb ass, listen to the goddamn CD, yes, the bass note is a B, but Jesus Christ, you know, you're not ALWAYS playing the root!"

(for the record this was a Em6/B)

I used to play with a bass player who didn't know the difference between "B-flat" and "B minor". He had no idea what a major or minor chord (or scale) was, and thought "B minor" was the note between "A" and "B".

That said, he had great feel, and almost always played the right notes, so, there you go.

As for bandmates who don't know how to use internet forums or facebook or whatever, big deal. I envy the fact that they have a life outside of their computers (except when they call me for tech support).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wesg

View Post

I once had a band mate who thought a melodic minor scale was something that weighed people who extract rocks from the ground by singing.

Well, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration.

But I am getting so {censored}ing sick of this discussion: "No, I'm not playing a {censored}ing B major chord, that would sound {censored}ing retarded you dumb ass, listen to the goddamn CD, yes, the bass note is a B, but Jesus Christ, you know, you're not ALWAYS playing the root!"

(for the record this was a Em6/B)

I used to play with a bass player who didn't know the difference between "B-flat" and "B minor". He had no idea what a major or minor chord (or scale) was, and thought "B minor" was the note between "A" and "B".

That said, he had great feel, and almost always played the right notes, so, there you go.

As for bandmates who don't know how to use internet forums or facebook or whatever, big deal. I envy the fact that they have a life outside of their computers (except when they call me for tech support).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by testuser

View Post

I confess that, as a bass player, I am very challenged by the bass lines in reggae. Basically, I tend to play too many notes. But since I'm not really a big fan of reggae, it's not really an issue. And if I was a big fan, it would probably not be an issue, for the opposite reason.

OT: Check out some Steel Pulse, if you're interested. They tend to have "busier" basslines that still have a killer reggae groove. The songs "Bodyguard" and "Rally Round" are excellent examples of this.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by testuser

View Post

I confess that, as a bass player, I am very challenged by the bass lines in reggae. Basically, I tend to play too many notes. But since I'm not really a big fan of reggae, it's not really an issue. And if I was a big fan, it would probably not be an issue, for the opposite reason.

OT: Check out some Steel Pulse, if you're interested. They tend to have "busier" basslines that still have a killer reggae groove. The songs "Bodyguard" and "Rally Round" are excellent examples of this.

• Members

I could go on for days here.

Played with people who can't hear the difference between major/minor chords

Drummers counting in at a completely different tempo to what the song's going to be

Depped with a band recently and the bassist had no idea how many bars to play notes for when there weren't any vocals, he just did one for a bit, then changed to the next note for a while, etc.

• Members

I could go on for days here.

Played with people who can't hear the difference between major/minor chords

Drummers counting in at a completely different tempo to what the song's going to be

Depped with a band recently and the bassist had no idea how many bars to play notes for when there weren't any vocals, he just did one for a bit, then changed to the next note for a while, etc.

Archived