Ignorant Band-Mates Stories

Tullsterx

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Tullsterx

View Post

Damn! I'm a dumbass. . . I don't know what a "2nd line beat" is! [GOOGLING. . . . . .] . . . ahhhh. . . I'll have to ask our drummer about 2nd line beats. . . [ignorance Fought!] Thanks.

Well, it's not as if you have been (AFAIK) a "professional", full-time drummer for most of your adult life, one state over from Lousiana, and still ignorant of musical heritage and tradition of one of our greatest musical .....wait a minute, I'm sounding serious or something. FWIW I'm a dumbass myself- I don't even know for sure what the hell a dub step is.biggrin.gif

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

View Post

Damn! I'm a dumbass. . . I don't know what a "2nd line beat" is! [GOOGLING. . . . . .] . . . ahhhh. . . I'll have to ask our drummer about 2nd line beats. . . [ignorance Fought!] Thanks.

Well, it's not as if you have been (AFAIK) a "professional", full-time drummer for most of your adult life, one state over from Lousiana, and still ignorant of musical heritage and tradition of one of our greatest musical .....wait a minute, I'm sounding serious or something. FWIW I'm a dumbass myself- I don't even know for sure what the hell a dub step is.biggrin.gif

• Members

View Post

I was once at a try-out/jam session with this new group that was getting together. I was playing bass at the time. Anyway, I didn't know these guys very well, but the keyboardist had this brand new, just out of the box, Yamaha keyboard, one of the ones with the big speakers on the top, a stage piano. I guess he was just getting back into playing, but he was pretty good. Anyway, he was on the other side of the room, and we starting playing thorough a couple of songs. They has this little PA set up and ran the stage piano though the PA, cool. Anyway, at some point I commented that the piano wasn't loud enough, and really cranked it up. . . and suddenly this incredible feedback pierced all our ears, and I looked over and saw that they had a mic positioned over the speakers on the Yamaha stage piano. . . they didn't use the line out, the had placed a mic over the speakers. facepalm.gif Anyway, I was blown away by that. Crazy. I didn't end up playing with those guys.

Not two weeks ago, after I had supplied and demonstrated the use of a 1/8" adapter to play the laptop through the PA, I asked the singer to play a track back through the PA for reference... she put her vocal mic up to the laptop speaker. icon_lol.gif

• Members

View Post

I was once at a try-out/jam session with this new group that was getting together. I was playing bass at the time. Anyway, I didn't know these guys very well, but the keyboardist had this brand new, just out of the box, Yamaha keyboard, one of the ones with the big speakers on the top, a stage piano. I guess he was just getting back into playing, but he was pretty good. Anyway, he was on the other side of the room, and we starting playing thorough a couple of songs. They has this little PA set up and ran the stage piano though the PA, cool. Anyway, at some point I commented that the piano wasn't loud enough, and really cranked it up. . . and suddenly this incredible feedback pierced all our ears, and I looked over and saw that they had a mic positioned over the speakers on the Yamaha stage piano. . . they didn't use the line out, the had placed a mic over the speakers. facepalm.gif Anyway, I was blown away by that. Crazy. I didn't end up playing with those guys.

Not two weeks ago, after I had supplied and demonstrated the use of a 1/8" adapter to play the laptop through the PA, I asked the singer to play a track back through the PA for reference... she put her vocal mic up to the laptop speaker. icon_lol.gif

• Members

I've got a new project coming together right now with a guitarist and a singer who don't have any real "play out band" experience. The guitarist LOVES to learn and is really working with it, but the singer is new to music as of, like, April. GREAT showmanship and a great voice, and a cute blonde to boot, but she didn't know square one about operating a PA, what causes feedback, or that the band doesn't need to quiet down - you can just turn it up to hear yourself. facepalm.gif

But hey, it's all about learning sometimes! It's a team in a band. thumb.gif

• Members

I've got a new project coming together right now with a guitarist and a singer who don't have any real "play out band" experience. The guitarist LOVES to learn and is really working with it, but the singer is new to music as of, like, April. GREAT showmanship and a great voice, and a cute blonde to boot, but she didn't know square one about operating a PA, what causes feedback, or that the band doesn't need to quiet down - you can just turn it up to hear yourself. facepalm.gif

But hey, it's all about learning sometimes! It's a team in a band. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cephus View Post

I had a guy who counted so badly, that I had to tell him "what dot".
I played with a drummer who thought the count off at the beginning of the song was purely for the purpose of getting us to start at the same time on the down beat - sort of like "ready, set , GO!" After a year of trying to work with him, he still didn't get the idea of counting during the song as a way of learning accents. He was well into his 50s and had been playing and singing in bands for quite some time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by cephus View Post

I had a guy who counted so badly, that I had to tell him "what dot".
I played with a drummer who thought the count off at the beginning of the song was purely for the purpose of getting us to start at the same time on the down beat - sort of like "ready, set , GO!" After a year of trying to work with him, he still didn't get the idea of counting during the song as a way of learning accents. He was well into his 50s and had been playing and singing in bands for quite some time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues

View Post

I played with a drummer who thought the count off at the beginning of the song was purely for the purpose of getting us to start at the same time on the down beat - sort of like "ready, set , GO!"

Gawd, I HATE that!!!! I played with that guy too! Would knock off four stick clicks at breakneck speed and then "on the one" - start playing at a tempo that was 20% slower. His penchant for doing that was responsible for more trainwrecks than I care to remember - and drove me absolutely bonkers every time it happened. Mistakes happen - but shooting yourself in the foot with simple stuff like that which can be easily avoided by a deep breath and a "deliberate" decision - just drives me nutz!!!!!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SeniorBlues

View Post

I played with a drummer who thought the count off at the beginning of the song was purely for the purpose of getting us to start at the same time on the down beat - sort of like "ready, set , GO!"

Gawd, I HATE that!!!! I played with that guy too! Would knock off four stick clicks at breakneck speed and then "on the one" - start playing at a tempo that was 20% slower. His penchant for doing that was responsible for more trainwrecks than I care to remember - and drove me absolutely bonkers every time it happened. Mistakes happen - but shooting yourself in the foot with simple stuff like that which can be easily avoided by a deep breath and a "deliberate" decision - just drives me nutz!!!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Piano Whore View Post
Ha! But face it, would anybody here want a bandmate who hangs out on music forums and bitches about THEM? Wouldn't anybody think twice about hiring someone from HC to be in their band, that they know to incessantly air out online the grievances, dirty laundry, and band drama about whatever band they're with? BTW, my drummer is such a dumbass he doesn't even know what a 2nd line beat is, much less how to play one, and thinks that New Orleans music is stoopid.
I had a similar experience with a drummer. We wanted to add "Is This Love?" by Marley to the list, and he said he couldn't do it cuz reggae drumming was "like playing the drums backwards" (his very words).

facepalm.gif

Luckily for us, the guy broke his arm a few weeks later, and we ended up with one of the best drummers in the area taking his place. Marley made the list!

• Members

every singer who when not singing inbetween songs or verses, that wraps their hand around the ball of the mic and then lowers it and holds it against their leg.. which is all but a guarantee that it will feedback.. and then while it's feeding back and creating a staggering loop, they are looking around at everyone else, wondering where all that feed back is coming from...

This is pretty much every singer I've ever played in a band with, or ever will.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Old Fart Rocker View Post
Same here. This is the only place I can vent when I need to.
Yeah, well, I keep my venting to a minimum these days after getting attacked for it by a lot of forum members PLUS a friend of the bass player I was venting about kept posting a link to my venting on our Facebook page. I was the admin for that page (created it, maintained it, posted 80-90% of the content) and stupid me, I made the other guys admins too, so most likely the bassist removed me as an admin after reading what I was saying about him. Strangely enough, he threw a couple of gigs my way later on. Maybe as a penance of sorts for kicking me off of my own page? Who knows.

So, I keep my snide remarks about bandmates to myself now. I just reserve those kinds of things for guido now! tongue.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by cephus

View Post

How many times have you played with a bass player who you had to translate the key to "what fret"?

Once. I switched from keys/rhythm guitar to bass and continued on in another band with 2 of the main guys and me on bass. The rest as they say, is history.

• Members

Far too many stories of ignorant band members to relate. The ones that really stand out to me are the guys who have no clue how stupid they are...ignorant of their ignorance, in other words. Here's two.

Bass player: This guy had been playing for years, but I think he took a LONG layoff. We reached the limits of his talent pretty quickly. I was walking him through the changes of a song once. I'd call out the chord names and he would play the root...trying to commit it to memory.

I call out, "F-sharp minor". He frets the E string at the first fret and plays an F.

I repeat, "F-sharp minor". He plays the F note again.

I yell, "F-SHARP MINOR!" He plays the F and says, "I AM playing F -sharp!"

I say, "That's a F!" He looks at his fretting hand, goes, "...OH!" and moves his finger up one fret.

Keys player: We picked this guy up who constantly talked about this hot band he played with back home (he was from the UP area of Michigan). He said they played a bunch of Steely Dan and Tower of Power. Pretty impressive...which made me curious as to why he relied on a set of 3 x 5 index cards for our gigs. He wrote the chord changes on them and would arrange them in the playing order every night. This was standard bar band stuff, nothing complicated.

He was going back home to jam with his old band and he talked about it for weeks. He said he was writing up charts for the horn players. I thought, "And you need a {censored}ing index card to get your way through 'Jet Airliner'?" He said he was charting out a Steely Dan song and he ran across a weird kind of chord he hadn't heard before.

I'm a Becker/Fagen fan, so I started telling him about what they call the 'Mu' chord....with the 4th in the bass. "No, no, nothing like that," he said. "This was really weird. A B minor with a G in the bass."

I finally lost my patience with him. "That's a G major 7th, you {censored}ing idiot!"

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceNorman

View Post

We have a drummer that does this, that we play with from time to time. . . we asked him about it and he just brushed it off. . . I think it happens when he's not totally sure how the song goes, so he just hesistantly clicks it off to see what happens and then catches up when everything kicks in. . . he's really a pretty great drummer, just a little space-case, and a bit of a pill-popper, those two factors are probably related, and related to his weird click-offs. And he struggles with reggae as well. . . maybe he should start smoking the weed instead.

• Members

I haven't got the first clue when you guys start talking chords, modes etc etc - so i'm ignorant. But it doesn't really stand in my way of doing what i do.
Obviously it would in certain situations.

I watched an interview with James Hetfield (of metallica for those who dont know) where he laughed and said when they were doing the string sections of "nothing else matters" and he was going to have to teach them the song - he was freaking out because he had no idea of the notes on the fretboard without really having to think about it.

Archived