I don't hate my voice......!

New Trail

• Members

Nope, it's the end. Once you think you sound pretty good, it's all over.

wink.gif

I'm kidding. Good for you! I'm still not satisfied with what my own voice can do, but I've decided to subject people to it anyway! icon_lol.gif

And, like anything in life, I ignore the negative comments, appreciate the positive ones.

• Members

I don't consider myself to be a singer, but I do some singing anyway. I've always hated my voice (as almost all people do when hearing recordings of themselves---what we hear in our heads isn't what the rest of the world hears), but that's in part because it really ISN'T very good. Not that I necessarily sing poorly--my pitch and inflections are decent--but the tone simply isn't very good. Over the years I've learned to affect different tones when I sing that are much more listenable. As with any instrument, you have to learn to "play" your voice to a certain degree. Especially if what just flows out of it naturally isn't all that great.

• Members

I DO hate my voice, so I envy you! Fortunately, I'm not in any projects that require me to sing.

But whether it's your singing, your instrument playing, anything... if you can look/ listen back on it and appreciate it, then that can only help you wield it with more wisdom! thumb.gif

• Moderators

"I don't hate my voice......!"

I think that is a huge thing. An important step as a performer. Cause think about it, if you don't like the sound, the very thing you're creating to have others enjoy... how can you possibly decide you want to use this inflections, or swoop up to this note then ditch the vibrato and do this then...

I've noticed too many players who don't listen to themselves. Recording and playing back is an education. Once you do that enough, you can hear yourself live with a much more accurate reading on what you're expecting people to listen to. I think everybody HAS TO subject themselves to themselves and learn to adjust so the day to day performing is done in a way to connects to the listener. And how can you do that if you yourself haven't listened.

Then, at that point, the sound you're making is something you enjoy, because you've worked on it to mold it into something worth being listened to.

That is the whole point, and one that gets missed more often than not.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by New Trail View Post
Or maybe I've just gotten used to it!

We mixed our CD last night and I sing a bunch of the songs (since I wrote them) and I didn't hate my singing. I never liked my voice before, but now I don't hate it....progress?
I don't know... I've never thought much in terms of "hating" or "not hating" my voice because it seems kind of pointless.

Instead I've focused on ways to improve it, and prioritized my issues, which requires some level of emotional detachment.

I sucked at first, and I knew it, but it didn't bother me. I didn't "hate" my voice just because I sucked. Then I got better. But I don't "love" my voice now, even for my best songs. It either accomplishes its goal, or it doesn't. If not, I have to improve it, or rework/ditch the song.

Anyway, it doesn't much matter what you think of yourself. What do OTHERS think?

Archived