Our drummer left again......DAMN it!

New Trail

• Members

Our drummer that left our originals band to go on the road out West with an "up and coming" country singer left again.  He came back, after disasterous initial gigs in which he lost money, and we thought he had more or less learned his lesson, but he's gone again.  She called him, offered him $500 a week guaranteed, paid for his plane ticket, got him a set of drums (all he has to take is his cymbals), so he took the gig!  Now we're back to square one again.  We have a gig on August 5th that we (now) don't have time to work a new drummer in for, so that means a cancellation.  We were sorry he had trouble on the road, and we were happy to have him back, and told him so, but I don't think any of us will take him back now!

• Members

New Trail wrote:

Our drummer that left our originals band to go on the road out West with an "up and coming" country singer left again.  He came back, after disasterous initial gigs in which he lost money, and we thought he had more or less learned his lesson, but he's gone again.  She called him, offered him $500 a week guaranteed, paid for his plane ticket, got him a set of drums (all he has to take is his cymbals), so he took the gig!  Now we're back to square one again.  We have a gig on August 5th that we (now) don't have time to work a new drummer in for, so that means a cancellation.  We were sorry he had trouble on the road, and we were happy to have him back, and told him so, but I don't think any of us will take him back now!

Why cancel the gig?  Any decent for-hire drummer can walk into a gig w/o a rehearsal and do a good enough job, not worth canceling over IMO.

• Members

Kramerguy wrote:

Why cancel the gig?  Any decent for-hire drummer can walk into a gig w/o a rehearsal and do a good enough job, not worth canceling over IMO.

Not for nothing, but some original bands still write quality, complicated music that requires a lot of listening to and rehearsal, especially if the band doesn't have any recordings. And since it's originals, it's probably not going to pay the guy the $100+ he'd want for that gig.

Just throwing some perspective from a drummer.

• Members

Kramerguy wrote:

New Trail wrote:

I would agree with you if it was covers, but these are all originals that we have been working on for some time.  It's a paying gig in a town not known for supporting original bands, so if we play, when we play, we want to be good enough to get hired back.

• Members

New Trail wrote:

Surely you could work a drummer in for a gig that's 5 weeks out. I took an R&B gig with less than 30 days, but we were rehearsing 5+ times a week and I made all of those. (The material was all new to me. Great fun, 11 musicians and singers. Met some amazing musicians and are playing with one 12 years later.) Drummers are probably the easiest to replace. (Except when you're looking for good low volume musicians.) It will sound somewhat different, but I hate canceling gigs for any reason.

Archived