And we cleared the floor...

mstreck

• Members

Towards the end of our second set on Saturday night...

You Shook Me (packed floor)

Sweet Child (packed floor)

Don't Stop Believin' - DANCE FLOOR EMPTIED BEFORE THE FIRST FOUR MEASURES WERE OVER (I'm not kidding).

This is the first time that I have witnessed that song failing - and I never expected it to fail in such epic fashion! It felt like someone kicked us in the jimmies.

• Members

It happens sometimes.  

We played a gig a couple of weeks ago where we played "Shout" to an empty dance floor.  First time THAT ever happened, and not really a song you want to do just for the listening experience, ya know?  

Brought 'em back with a slow-dance number and then kept the floor busy the rest of the night.   Sometimes you just never know and have to play it by ear.

• Members

That reminds me of the one time ever that Jessie's Girl tanked for us. That same night, pretty much 50% of our "guaranteed winner" songs ate ****. It was the weirdest crowd other than the biker rally that was requesting ABBA, Howard Jones and Gary Numan songs.

(and no, it wasn't a gay biker rally...)

• Members

I think that too many great fast dance tunes in a row can lead to a crowd breather being taken on a great dance tune. Think that might have been what happened in your case. Might want to mix an extra slow into the set. That's a serious breather for dancers. Also sounds like this is more likely to occur on a Friday night where dancers haven't had a day to recover from work yet. One of the places I used to play had mostly listeners on Fridays and dancers on Saturday. The crowd has changed over the years and now is less predictable.

• Members

mstreck wrote:

Towards the end of our second set on Saturday night...

You Shook Me (packed floor)

Sweet Child (packed floor)

Don't Stop Believin' - DANCE FLOOR EMPTIED BEFORE THE FIRST FOUR MEASURES WERE OVER (I'm not kidding).

This is the first time that I have witnessed that song failing - and I never expected it to fail in such epic fashion! It felt like someone kicked us in the jimmies.

makes perfect sense to me from my experiences.

• Members

Blackbird 13 wrote:

A-list songs are typically danceable, or sing alongs. DSB is way more of a sing along type song... I wouldn't be too worried!

The weird thing was they didn't even sing along. It's like the song was poison. It was a pretty bipolar crowd anyhow - a mix of college kids and the 40+ crowd.

• Members

A few ballads/slow songs that go over great with our 30-something crowds.

FAR BEHIND-Candlebox

CREEP-STP

BLACK-Pearl Jam

JANE SAYS-Jane's Addiction

RUNAWAY TRAIN-Soul Asylum

LIGHTNING CRASHES-Live

THE WORLD I KNOW-Collective Soul

TAKE THE HARLEY-The Billys

NO WOMAN NO CRY-Bob Marley

Most of them double as good sing-a-longs as well.

Archived