"I Hate Playing That Song"

TrickyBoy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I have always been a groove player. For me, the concept of a player in the band not getting a simple groove song, I totally get that. But...

... I can change their mind with the way I play it. When simple, repetitive patterns have an inner world of accents and ghost notes, you can get a groove. But YOU'VE got to create that bounce or grind or fire. When I decide, with my bass, to really lay in to those accents and ghosts notes, the drummer will fall in with my bass while he's wearing a big smile. Rhythm SECTION.

Now the guitarist and keyboardist realize how silly they sound kind of drifting around in a mist of pointless rhythm. So they lock into one of those accents, so they complement one of those ghost notes.

So they become part of the groove.

The singer feels this. The singer digs in and delivers. A boring song is now kicking ass.

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

I have always been a groove player. For me, the concept of a player in the band not getting a simple groove song, I totally get that. But...

... I can change their mind with the way I play it. When simple, repetitive patterns have an inner world of accents and ghost notes, you can get a groove. But YOU'VE got to great that bounce or grind or fire. When I decide, with my bass, to really lay in to those accents and ghosts notes, the drummer will fall in with my bass while he's wearing a big smile. Rhythm SECTION.

Now the guitarist and keyboardist realize how silly they sound kind of drifting around in a mist of pointless rhythm. So they lock into one of those accents, so they complement one of those ghost notes.

The singer feels this. The singer digs in and delivers. A boring song is now kicking ass.

Songs and performances are what you make them.  And locking in and rocking simple grooves and chord patterns is often a bigger challenge than doing the same with a more complex song. 

• Members

Lee Knight wrote:

... I can change their mind with the way I play it. When simple, repetitive patterns have an inner world of accents and ghost notes, you can get a groove. But YOU'VE got to create that bounce or grind or fire. When I decide, with my bass, to really lay in to those accents and ghosts notes, the drummer will fall in with my bass while he's wearing a big smile. Rhythm SECTION.

I want to believe that your approach works.  Sadly, too many bands I've played with just don't interpret what you're playing the way you'd like.  I did a sub gig a while back where the rest of the band genuinely appreciaited what I was trying to do and had the chops and musical frame of reference to follow along, but I've been in too many other situations where the rest of the guys just didn't understand the rhythms I was trying to convey.

To deal with the broader question, don't settle for less than playing with a group of players that have a broad enough frame of reference that will allow them to understand what someone is trying to do rhythmically.  I had it in the last band, and I wish the gigs had been there to sustain it.

• Moderators

SeniorBlues says:

"I want to believe that your approach works. Sadly, too many bands I've played with just don't interpret what you're playing the way you'd like. I did a sub gig a while back where the rest of the band genuinely appreciaited what I was trying to do and had the chops and musical frame of reference to follow along, but I've been in too many other situations where the rest of the guys just didn't understand the rhythms I was trying to convey.

To deal with the broader question, don't settle for less than playing with a group of players that have a broad enough frame of reference that will allow them to understand what someone is trying to do rhythmically. I had it in the last band, and I wish the gigs had been there to sustain it."

Of course you're right. But...

1. With cool players it's easy.? Agree.

2. With less experienced groove players, you don't just lay down a cool groove, you lay down a groove constructed specifically to be coat tails for everyone to jump in. Simple and with exaggerated accents in the right spots. I try to play my bass like a high hat for this kind of thing. Not overplaying but still including the 8s or 16s as ghost notes.

Climb aboard.

Archived