The old band's medleys?

jeff42

• Members

as some of you know Ostrich Hat started as an acoustic side project with some of the members of my last band There & Back Again. As of oct 28th it has been 1 year since TBA's final gig... Which was a 10 year annivarsy gig. Since then OH has gone on to bigger better rooms and a bigger better sound too. We are now more like a power/pop trio.

A few weeks ago at a small gathering of our close pals we were tossing around the idea of pulling a few songs from the last band's song list and adding them to our show. No big deal, we have done that befoire and after all they are covers and no one "owns" them. But as the conversation went on  some started entertaining the idea of pulling some of the same medleys from the old band.

I said I don't feel like copying what we did before (even if we are the only ones who notice)... Maybe the same tunes but medley them differently. Sure its more work but half the fun of medleys is creating them IMO.

• Members

Just like playing a good cover song, go ahead and play a good medley. I wrote one that my band's haven't had any interest in. (I hate ones where you play the same music and only the lyrics change. No challenge and boring. We're old guys so keep that in mind.) Starts with "I think we're alone now" into a very short transition using "Inna Gadda da Vida" into "Light my fire" into "Make me smile" Only have to change the key for Inna Gadda da Vida from Dm to Am. (One bandmate said we didn't need any more Chicago tunes. Not like we do very many.) Feel free to use it or change it. Your approach might be quite a bit different than mine.

Archived