Backing Track Software.... Please try and give me feedback

jkahler

• Members

Ok. So I don't want to start a holy war. Some people like backing tracks some do not. I have been lurking these forums for years. Once again (when I recently experimented with a solo act.) I came back. I was looking for a one stop solution for Backing Tracks + Lyrics + midi, etc. I saw solo performer by alien apparatus, but it is very expensive. So I started developing my own. It currently allows to set up play lists, with repeat stop after song etc. Also allows for scrolling lyrics using lyric files (Also lets you create your own.) and starting to allow for midi events, ie, program changes etc.

I am going to be developing this for quite a while and could use some feedback from some testers that may be real life users. I have attached some screenshots. Email me if you would like to try it out. and please post feedback in this thread!!!

Thanks;

pub?id=18ioBJyp5EA-JR7ahauHMR-tqN_z8MSFr

• Members

First post here, been lurking a few weeks.

I use Cakewalk Sonar 4 producer that does all you are talking about. I use that program as my recording software, so it was an easy transition to use it on stage. In fact, I had cakewalk home studio long ago that would also do the same for a lot less cost.

I have a set list and when one song ends it loads the next song and plays when I hit the spacebar. Or It can be set to not wait on certain songs and go right from one song to the next.

I have two windows open automatically for each song, one with a scrolling staff view, and below that, one with a scrolling lyric window. The staff displays notes and chords (CAPO position, etc). I use MIDI tracks, and can add audio tracks to each song file too if I want. MIDI events can also be programmed into each song.

Not sure I want to switch at this point, but I'd be willing to see what you are working on and offer feedback.

• Members

I Use backing tracks with lyrics via my iPad, and love it. I use an iPad mount, which attaches to my mic stand. I have been using an app called OnSong, which works pretty well, although lacks a few small details. I'm always interested in new and better apps. Here is my $0.02.

iPad app

plays mp3 or wav files

scrolling lyrics with adjustable speed

large "play"button for easy start/stop of songs

auto stop after song is done playing

large time stamp readout to be able to tell where you are in the song

ability to create play lists and sets from my music library

lyrics editing capable of changing font size, color, highlighting, inderline, etc

Anyway, good idea and good luck.

• Members

I'd consider looking at an iPad app, but I'd never take a laptop to a gig. I think iPads at gigs is a concept that is spreading very, very rapidly. I'd consider programming for the iPad if you want to make an app that could have a very big potential audience.

• Members

I've been using the program for a couple of days, here's my 2 cents:

-First of all, its been a while since I use the pc (been a Mac guy for a while), so I'm a bit rust on some things, but I found some troubles with the installation ( it didnt install on the first pc I tried, it kept trying to unzip the file over and over again) then it worked fine on my old laptop.

-The first thing I missed was the menus at the top on the program, with the regular "file, tools, edit" options, I'm used to use commands that way, so it felt a bit weird at first.

-I was able to load midi and mp3 files with no problems at all, they seem to work well and the playlist was set up in a flash. It would be very nice to be able to create several playlist and have them all in the same window, but I was only able to create one.

-once I tried to change some of the files on the playlist, I found that it kept playing the same file that was loaded originally, even if the playlist itself showed the new file.

-I wasnt able to load the lyrics, wich format is it supposed to work? A copy-paste would be great, since I guess most people would end up seraching for the lyrics online and just paste it on the program.

-another thing I would love to see is a "midi mixer" of some kind, I usually play the guitar and sing, so editing the midi files inside the program to turn off those channels would be really useful.

Those are some of the things that I remember now, I will keep using it and gave some more feedback in a couple of days

• Members

I've been using the program for a couple of days, here's my 2 cents:

-First of all, its been a while since I use the pc (been a Mac guy for a while), so I'm a bit rust on some things, but I found some troubles with the installation ( it didnt install on the first pc I tried, it kept trying to unzip the file over and over again) then it worked fine on my old laptop.

-The first thing I missed was the menus at the top on the program, with the regular "file, tools, edit" options, I'm used to use commands that way, so it felt a bit weird at first.

-I was able to load midi and mp3 files with no problems at all, they seem to work well and the playlist was set up in a flash. It would be very nice to be able to create several playlist and have them all in the same window, but I was only able to create one.

-once I tried to change some of the files on the playlist, I found that it kept playing the same file that was loaded originally, even if the playlist itself showed the new file.

-I wasnt able to load the lyrics, wich format is it supposed to work? A copy-paste would be great, since I guess most people would end up seraching for the lyrics online and just paste it on the program.

-another thing I would love to see is a "midi mixer" of some kind, I usually play the guitar and sing, so editing the midi files inside the program to turn off those channels would be really useful.

Those are some of the things that I remember now, I will keep using it and gave some more feedback in a couple of days

I will look into the menu thing. The lyrics need to be in lrc format. You can find them on the web if you don't want to use the editor to create your own. That part is going to be updated to be more user friendly soon. Copy and paste (ctrl-c , ctrl-v) should work just fine for you in the editor. Midi mixer may be beyond the initial scope of effort but I will certainly look into it. I would appreciate if someone can test midi program changes (effects, etc.) I have no devices to test with. :-(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived