Irish Songs?

msmooth

• Members

Not exactly an answer, just an observation. I did sound for a celtic festival last year, first time working with some of those instruments. Very well received, people enjoyed it a great deal. Can't really name the songs as they were playing some pretty old non-mainstream numbers I'd never heard in my life. It's a kick to work with acts other than the traditional pop-rock stuff.

• Members

+1

Find yourself "the irish songbook" of clancy bros with tommy makem and learn the whole thing :) That's a good base to start with.

Good songs:

Whiskey you're the devil

Tim finnegan's wake

Haul away joe

The holy ground

Rocky road to dublin

Foggy dew

On the softer side:

The leaving of Liverpool

The parting glass

• Members

Do any of you solos/duos play any traditional Irish music? If so, do they go over well and do you reccomend any specific song?

I work a few into most gigs, primarily humorous ones and "fiddle tunes" (on guitar or mandolin), and, naturally, a lot for St. Paddy Day gigs.

Ones that you can't go wrong with are:

The Minstrel Boy

The Leperchaun's Fling (I do a PG-version, the original is a little "spicy" ;))

Silver Horn

Drunk On Mondays (great sing-along tune)

The Blackbird

Star of the County Down

Whiskey In The Jar

Blackjack Davey

Monkey Farts (a more modern Irish ditty)

• Members

hi there...

go move shift as sung by Christy Moore is a good un..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tvRU9Rx3UY&feature=fvst

theres Galway Girl (written by STeve Earle... very popular - althiough im utterly SICK of it!).

Carrickfergus

Dublin in the Rare Auld Times

star of county down..

spancil hill

boulavogue

the auld triangle

Arthur McBride

follow me up to carlow - link here

rocky road to dublin - link here

cliffs of dooneen

west coast of clare

:)

• Members

I used to have Johnson's Motor Car, The Cobbler and Isn't it Grand Boys in my setlist when I did more folk.

For modern celtic inspired, check out the Pogues, Great Big Sea, and Spirit of the West ("Home for a rest" being a crowd pleaser).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it would depend on your market. People want to hear songs they recognize. You can sneak in a few that they don't recognize and that's OK, but if you play too many, you may lose them.

When we do St Patty Parties, we play popular Irish-American songs like McNamara's Band, I'm Looking Over A Four Leaf Clover, Harrigan, Too-ra-loo-ra, Irish Eyes, Wild Irish Rose, Danny Boy, etc.

YMMV

• Members

Van Morrison too, but they don't work for St Patty Parties. They work if the audience is familiar with the songs and is of the age to like their work.

Most people don't want to hear a band play stuff they don't know all night. There are delightful exceptions.

Even in the so called "Classical" genre. I love symphonic music, but there are a lot of great composers that never get played, because Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, and Mozart are what people want to hear. Not that these aren't great artists, but so are Suk, Ivanov, Amirov, de Falla, Kodaly, Respighi, and so many others.

People want to hear memories.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Anybody know some old pop or big band "Irish" songs?

Like Bing's various MacNamara's Band things or Maxine Sullivan doing Molly Malone.

Just need a few to pick out and play at an 'old pop' gig on SPD.

Archived