I'm new and I'd like to introduce myself and get to know you all, please.

SusieP

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here in the USA the term "Fanny" is used to indicate the buttocks. In the UK it's the female genitalia.

Those little bags that people wore around their waist in the end of the last century were commonly called "fanny packs" because they ride on your fanny (USA fanny).

When a relative of ours went to England, and requested a Fanny Pack she was sent to the department that sold feminine hygiene products.

Language can be fun.

• Members

That IS gross! Bleurch! That image in now going to haunt me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer my 'historical' origin of the word.

Sorry... :(

Now that 'T' word, is used in two ways really.

One can mean a lady's genitalia. And isn't often used to mean that any more.

The other is used when someone is being an absolute idiot and you call them a 'T.' It's a great word if you get the emphasis and intonation right in that circumstance.

I don't like to hear it used for the other meaning. Doesn't sound right.

Me neither...

I think it works particularly well when the person saying it has a posh English accent.

It seems to give it more power.

This 100%! :thu:

Brian V.

• Members

'Bird' was a 70's word and kind of went out of fashion for a while, but it's sometimes used still.

'Duck' is used in the Midlands area of England but it's a term of endearment for either sex.

Used in the same context as, "Hya buddy, how ya doin" or "hya honey, how ya doin"

Midlanders say, "Hello my Duck, how ya doin"

And further North instead of duck they say 'hen' or 'hinnie' or 'pet' - I know I know we're a bunch of weirdos.

• Members

Now I've got
Big Spender
playing in my head thanks to Stunningbabe, and earlier it was
Summertime
by Smooth duo. Nice job to both of you birds:) Is it OK to say bird?

Thank you!

I wish it WAS Summertime.

Hasn't stopped raining here for three days. GRRRRR.

• Members

'Bird' was a 70's word and kind of went out of fashion for a while, but it's sometimes used still.

'Duck' is used in the Midlands area of England but it's a term of endearment for either sex.

Used in the same context as, "Hya buddy, how ya doin" or "hya honey, how ya doin"

Midlanders say, "Hello my Duck, how ya doin"

And further North instead of duck they say 'hen' or 'hinnie' or 'pet' - I know I know we're a bunch of weirdos.

Hehehe....looks like you brits are fond of calling each other 'bird' kind of slangs.

• Members

I'm from Newfoundland, Canada, sort of like if you took an isolated piece of England from 1600s, and put it on an island all by itself for 400 years and then let TV and radio in slowly. Which is what kinda happened in reality.

Regional accents are phenomenal, as are the expressions. Though I've been gone for many years, the basic rule of speaking Newfaneese, is to drop the letter "H" from words that have them, and add the to words that don't. Depending on where you are from, you might actually speak like Elmer Fudd -- the accent from Bay Roberts area was much like that.

So "me ducks" in Newfie is like saying "my darling" but in a more familiar way.

I'm trying to think if we have creative genitalia references as well, but I've been away from the island for 15 years and have slowly been assimilated my mainland Canada (curses!)

• Members

Before this conversation turns, um... farther south again, let me wish you a warm welcome from the (normally) sunny Fabulous Florida Keys! I live in the islands and play 4-5 nights a week -- mostly solo acoustic with a looper and harmony pedal (and sometimes piano), also electric with a three-piece rock band.

:wave:

Welcome to our unique little corner of teh Interwebz!

• Members

Before this conversation turns, um... farther
south
again, let me wish you a warm welcome from the (normally) sunny Fabulous Florida Keys! I live in the islands and play 4-5 nights a week -- mostly solo acoustic with a looper and harmony pedal (and sometimes piano), also electric with a three-piece rock band.

:wave:

Welcome to our unique little corner of teh Interwebz!

Thank you for the welcome.

I've seen you in the video thread.

I have no idea what a looper is but I liked what I heard!!!!

:)

• Members
I'm from Newfoundland, Canada, sort of like if you took an isolated piece of England from 1600s, and put it on an island all by itself for 400 years and then let TV and radio in slowly. Which is what kinda happened in reality.

Regional accents are phenomenal, as are the expressions. Though I've been gone for many years, the basic rule of speaking Newfaneese, is to drop the letter "H" from words that have them, and add the to words that don't. Depending on where you are from, you might actually speak like Elmer Fudd -- the accent from Bay Roberts area was much like that.

So "me ducks" in Newfie is like saying "my darling" but in a more familiar way.

I'm trying to think if we have creative genitalia references as well, but I've been away from the island for 15 years and have slowly been assimilated my mainland Canada (curses!)

:lol::lol::lol:

• Members

I'm from Newfoundland, Canada,
<...>

I've been to Newfoundland and Labrador and met some of the friendliest people in the world there!

We stopped in a cafe to have breakfast and started talking with the locals. They found out we were visiting from Florida USA and among other things, we hoped to see some whales. One woman got on her cell phone and told us the capelins were running on some beach (I forgot the name) and asked if I knew how to get there. I told her know and asked if she would explain. (Capelins are small fish that look like smelt)

She paid her tab, packed up her kids and said "Follow me". When we got to the beach she came out of her car with here phone and told us they moved, and to follow her again.

After twisting and turning for a while we got to a small cove where locals were collecting capelins by the bucketful, the gulls were so stuffed they weren't even interested, and the whales came so close to shore, gouging themselves on capelins and not only did we see them, we smelled the whales and got splashed by them.

We thanked the woman and she drove off.

All over New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Labrador and Newfoundland we met friendly Canadians who went out of their way to help us enjoy their corner of the world.

John, which Key do you call home?

I grew up near Fort Lauderdale and used to visit the keys a lot. I liked the keys and especially Key West before they got too crowded and commercialized. Not that that's bad, but after living near Ft. Lauderdale beach, it just wasn't different anymore.

I think we are getting to know quite a few people in this thread!

• Members
Thank you for the welcome.

I've seen you in the video thread.

I have no idea what a looper is but I liked what I heard!!!!

:)

A looper is a small, usually pedal-type, digital recorder with varying amounts of memory. Hit a switch and start recording, hit a switch and the recording you just made starts playing back in an endless loop (until you stop it, that is). Hit a switch and overdub on top of the loop you just made.

It's fun and challenging, as your timing has to be perfect or the loop will sound like, well, a really badly timed out-of-tempo loop. Level matching is important as well. My looper of choice is the Akai Head Rush -- not much memory, can't store any loops -- but it keeps me honest as all loops must be created on the spot in the performance.

• Members

John, which Key do you call home?

I grew up near Fort Lauderdale and used to visit the keys a lot. I liked the keys and especially Key West before they got too crowded and commercialized. Not that that's bad, but after living near Ft. Lauderdale beach, it just wasn't different anymore.

I think we are getting to know quite a few people in this thread!

My home for the last 28 years is Marathon, smack dab in the middle of the Keys between Key Largo and Key West. It's a great small island town with a decent tourist economy. This means I can stay in one place and have people come to me, as opposed to touring (which I did for three years before moving here). My Florida roots go back to the early 1960s, when my parents moved here to escape the winters of upstate New York, and so my father could accept a job as an engineer on the launch team for the Saturn IB project.

I agree with you that Key West has become a bit too crowded and commercialized. But everything down here is a bit transient... and then we get a storm every few years to shake things up a bit. At least we get plenty of warnings before a storm heads this way.

Tornadoes suck. Hurricanes blow. Either way, you lose the trailer.

;)

• Members

My home for the last 28 years is Marathon, smack dab in the middle of the Keys between Key Largo and Key West.
<...>

I had a Fiat Spyder break down at the 55 mile marker about 30 years ago. They towed it to a gas station with a garage and the mechanics had no idea. Foreign cars weren't something seen down there very much back then. One of the mechanics looked inside the distributor and said something like, "Looky there, it's got two sets of points! What's the second one for, in case the first one gets tired?"

I knew then and there that Freddy, my Fiat wasn't going to get fixed. Actually the first set of points was used to advance the timing while the engine was cold, and the second one took over when it warmed up.

We took the bus home and drove Leilani's jeep down with a rented tow bar and took Freddy back home. The problem was the distributor cap. I had just had it tuned up and the new aftermarket cap was defective.

A few years before that I played in Key West a few times. At a lounge that probably isn't there anymore. It was called Big Daddy's. And a few times in the La Concha hotel on Duval St., I suspect it is still there.

I've been through many hurricanes on the Mainland. I wouldn't want to weather one in the Keys. There used to be a bar down there, I think in Marathon or not far from it, that had a line on the wall about 6 feet high. That was where the water level of the ocean rose to during Hurricane Donna's tidal surge. I was high and dry in a C/B/S house on the Eastern sand ridge in Pompano Beach at the time. I actually weathered a 210mph storm in that house and was less than a half mile away from the eye.

Don't like hurricanes, but I'd rather that than a tornado, tsunami or earthquake.

Notes ?

• Moderators

Notes, earthquakes aren't as bad as tornadoes or hurricanes, because we get a major one maybe every 20 years or so (we are due for a 'good' one in the next few years), rather than several every year.

Hurricane Donna...wow, that's a blast from the past! That b*tch was trouble all the way up to Connecticut!

• Members

and blizzards... hey Pogo, I suddenly realized I have been through Gananoque...are you near the bridge? I used to go canoeing up around there, Algonquin Park area...

You'd have likely gone by on the 401 unless you're the sort who prefers the scenic route. The bridge is at the north end of US 81 which becomes 137 for a few miles until it gets to the mainland and joins the 401. Gananoque is only a few kilometers west of there.

IvyLeaBridge3.jpg

• Moderators

I've gone both ways...oh, now behave...;)

back in the olden days, large parts of the 1000 Islands were somewhat 'remote', and you could canoe around pretty much without any one in sight...it was a blast!! I don't know about now, but it is one of my favorite memories of living back east as a kid...

Archived