I'm new and I'd like to introduce myself and get to know you all, please.

SusieP

• Members

Where I live we don't have any of those. But we do have winter.

I don't like winter. Fortunately it is mild here in Florida. I remember being in the upper peninsula of Michigan, 2 miles from the nearest anything, 35F/37C below, and a full gale blowing when my car broke down. That was perhaps the longest 2 miles I've ever walked.

I love Canada, and have visited it many times (I especially love the Maritimes) but it's too darn cold for me in the winter. In fact, anything under 75F/24C is too cold for me.

In fact, where I currently live is too cold in the winter. I grew up near Fort Lauderdale FL and even though I'm only 100 miles north of Ft.L, during the winter cold snaps it's usually 10 degrees (F) colder here. In the 20+ years I've been here, I've actually seen light frost twice. But Ft.L simply got too crowded for me.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've gone both ways...oh, now behave...
;)
back in the olden days, large parts of the 1000 Islands were somewhat 'remote', and you could canoe around pretty much without any one in sight...it was a blast!! I don't know about now, but it is one of my favorite memories of living back east as a kid...

Wilderness is in the eyes of the beholder. The islands haven't yet been completely paved and a fair number are parkland, so that's a good thing. It's pretty big water for a canoe but great for sea kayaks. The whole of this area (Leeds County, Ontario) is undeveloped with lots of rocks and thin soil, so it's considered the back of beyond by many. I like that except when I'm looking for work.

At the same time the north shore of the St. Lawrence has a much older settlement history than much of Canada since it was originally settled (usurped from the natives) just after the American Revolution by what we call Loyalists--the 1/3 of colonials who fought against the revolutionary forces and had their land confiscated, houses burned, and lives threatened by the victors. In typical imperial fashion, the king very kindly rewarded their loyalty by granting them a bunch of (mostly useless) land stolen from someone else.

The net result of this, though, is that the architecture is fairly old and nice and there are some very good restaurants. I've lived in more-recently-developed areas (Yukon, central Ontario) from time to time and it seems that one of the last aspects of civilization to take hold is the establishment of decent restaurants.

Archived