Do you use a sign w/ your tip jar?

• Members

When traveling to a foreign country (foreign for me, not for the natives there) I usually research the area I am going to visit. My time there is usually short, so I go to a local book store, browse the travel guides for the area, buy the best one, and continue research on the Internet.

I want to make the most efficient use of my time and minimize the number of "I should have seen that" moments when I get back. So I outline the priorities and then plan a route (I travel independently, and have only been on one 'bus tour' in my life - that was enough).

A decent travel guide book will give you tipping guidelines. It will also give you local customs so that you don't inadvertently insult anyone.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
When traveling to a foreign country (foreign for me, not for the natives there) I usually research the area I am going to visit. My time there is usually short, so I go to a local book store, browse the travel guides for the area, buy the best one, and continue research on the Internet.

I want to make the most efficient use of my time and minimize the number of "I should have seen that" moments when I get back. So I outline the priorities and then plan a route (I travel independently, and have only been on one 'bus tour' in my life - that was enough).

A decent travel guide book will give you tipping guidelines. It will also give you local customs so that you don't inadvertently insult anyone.

Insights and incites by Notes ?

:thu:

• Members

I find it amazing that you even have a tips jar!

This is alien to me.

Maybe it's an English thing?

But I wouldn't dare.

Street performers here play for tips.

We play for a 'wage' from the venue owner.

At some restaurants we have been given a tip by people as they go past us on their way out, but other than that...... a tips jar?

Really?

I don't think it's an "across the pond" issue, to be honest. I live in the States, NY City, and most of my gigs are on Long Island or in the five boroughs, and whether or not I a playing in my full band or my acoustic duo, the venue owner pays us, period, the end. This is NOT meant to insult anyone who has to use a tip jar because the owner is either paying too little or not at all, but I would personally feel VERY UNCOMFORTABLE if I had to put a tip jar out while I played. I totally get that this is a viable means for musicians to make money and am not putting it down, it's just more of a personal feeling of "creepiness" for me as an individual, not an indictment of people who use one.

• Members

its simple really...
if i lived in a place where tipping was the normal way to get paid, then id be happy to go that way.
i dont live in such a place so i dont put out the jar - its a simple as that...

i guess us non-tippers are just curious as to how that side of things work.
i recommend we all bugger off now and let the tippers have their conversation on tipping and what type of jar works best etc.. :)

d

• Members

I make a good amount of my money each week off of tips.

Putting out a tip jar is no more shameful that having a 9 to 5 job.

If I do a job (playing), and give the people what they want, then I get paid well

I totally agree with this, and to be honest, I realize completely that this is a viable way to make money as a musician. It is also NO MORE shameful than waitresses and bartenders working for tips, and I have done both in my life. I also realize that my visceral aversion to playing for tips is my issue NOT one that reflects anything intrinsically wrong with doing it.

• Members

I think some are missing what we're talking about. My take is that the tip jar is in addition to my nightly pay. I just got sick of people asking where my tip jar was when they requested a song. So I put one out and watch it fill up. Again like others I'd never put one out at a private event- only bars.

The easiest way to get past the "loser" feeling is use it as a "till" for your CD's or merchandise and watch it fill up without even selling anything ;)

EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. There are people here that would go out and play for tips only? There isn't a chance in hell I would.

• Members
I think some are missing what we're talking about. My take is that the tip jar is in addition to my nightly pay. I just got sick of people asking where my tip jar was when they requested a song. So I put one out and watch it fill up. Again like others I'd never put one out at a private event- only bars. The easiest way to get past the "loser" feeling is use it as a "till" for your CD's or merchandise and watch it fill up without even selling anything
;)
EDIT: Maybe I'm wrong. There are people here that would go out and play for tips only? There isn't a chance in hell I would.

I never do...the tipjar (and CD sales) are just to sweeten the pot.

• Members

I think some are missing what we're talking about. My take is that the tip jar is in addition to my nightly pay. I just got sick of people asking where my tip jar was when they requested a song. So I put one out and watch it fill up. Again like others I'd never put one out at a private event- only bars.

The easiest way to get past the "loser" feeling is use it as a "till" for your CD's or merchandise and watch it fill up without even selling anything
;)

Yep, didn't use one, and people ask where's the tip jar. Selling CDs is more $$, and maybe more respectable for those who don't want a tip jar.

• Members

The easiest way to get past the "loser" feeling is use it as a "till" for your CD's or merchandise and watch it fill up without even selling anything
;)

I know some musicians personally who either play for tips exclusively or make so little money from their gigs that they have to use a tip jar. Not sure if that is the case here. I do, however, like your idea of using it as a till for CD sales, and if people just happen to drop money in there, so be it.

I would love to get over my gut-level aversion to using a tip jar, because I am looking for ways to fund a new PA system that is looking like it will cost me over 7 grand. So one could argue that I could set out a tip jar and label it as "All tips go toward the PA I want to purchase for the band!"

I just, for whatever reason, can't seem to bring myself to do it.

• Members

I know some musicians personally who either play for tips exclusively or make so little money from their gigs that they have to use a tip jar. Not sure if that is the case here. I do, however, like your idea of using it as a till for CD sales, and if people just happen to drop money in there, so be it.

A few months ago I played a restaurant that paid me 200 dollars, gave me a 20 dollar meal card, and handed me a tip jar, wherein I collected 134 dollars in tips. That's for a 3 hour gig. That was an unusually large amount of tips; generally that venue averages 40 to 80 dollars a night in tips. Still not a bad take for a few hours sitting on a chair playing and singing. As I said before, I look at tipping like this: no one has to tip, and many people don't. But if some people want to walk up and hand me money, who am I to stop them? :lol: Not having a tip jar would be like throwing away money for me. Tip money buys new strings, buys gas, pays for posters for gigs, and allows me to take my wife out for dinner on occasion.

• Members

NO, I totally hear you, BlueStrat, and to be honest, I am not denigrating the idea of collecting tips at a show. Honestly, if I was then that would be trolling the thread. If anything, I am kind of annoyed at myself for having such an ingrained disgust for the very idea of putting a tip cup out. Because, if I am going to fund a 7K PA system plus another grand or two for stage lighting, then I can turn around to my band and say, "We are putting out a tip cup and I am putting all tips toward my PA and light system. So deal with it, {censored}ers!" lol

It really would be a win-win situation. Now, good luck with me actually doing it. :lol:

All kidding aside, a tip cup at every allowable gig would NOT pay for this equipment unless I was willing to wait a long time, but it could at least defray some of the initial outlay and reimburse me for it down the road.

• Members

A few months ago I played a restaurant that paid me 200 dollars, gave me a 20 dollar meal card, and handed me a tip jar, wherein I collected 134 dollars in tips. That's for a 3 hour gig. That was an unusually large amount of tips; generally that venue averages 40 to 80 dollars a night in tips.

That's a good night there! Even the $40-$80 is solid. I made $50 in tips at a gig a few weeks ago but I play more bars and usually walk out with another $20 or so.

• Members

Last night I played a monthly wine maker's dinner at one of my regular gigs.It's funny, they get like 45 members of the Wine Club to come down for a 5 course meal with wines featured from a winery- these folks prepay 75 bucks a head for this meal, and think nothing of dropping 150 on a bottle of wine. But since it's prepaid, including gratuity, most of them don't think to tip me. And that's fine; I never expect tips and don't feel entitled to them. I ended up with 30 bucks in tips- but because of the nature of the gig, the restaurant flipped me an extra 50 in addition to my regular pay, so I did okay.

• Members

I never used one but at one solo restaurant gig, the owner brought one out and set it on the stage. OK. I always thought it gave the impression that the bar/restaurant isn't paying the musician or isn't paying him enough, so I've never brought one to a gig. When I had a trio people would just come up and give us money, but we rarely used a jar, and never toted one with us. There is no doubt in my mind that if you work the tip jar, it will pay off in certain situations.

I played at a top room with my trio for about year-one of the best rooms in town 30 stories above the city. We played on a stage about a foot high. A tip jar would have been totally inappropriate. Standing at the bar one night, a guy hands us a 100. tip.

The guy who played the cocktail hour in the same room, sitting at a grand piano, not only had a tip jar on his piano every night, he also had a cocktail. We, on the other hand, were forbidden to partake. Just being on the stage vs. being behind a grand piano made the difference. His tip jar and drink were fine, but drinks or a tip jar on the stage in the same room would have been inappropriate.

Archived